Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roads Policing Unit in Limerick goes green - new EVs!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

not EVs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Sure the guards in Dublin have been driving around in Kona and Tucson hybrids for a while now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Gardai in Dublin had a Hyundai Ioniq electric (yes a pure bred, electric only, zero emissions, BEV) about 5 years ago.

@Kramer - if I were from Limerick, that's not the sort of article I would link to, to put attention on my county (being backwards) 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

E.V.'s and as the good Garda points out 'no need to plug it in' 😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

They're petrol cars, not EVs.

• Advertisement

Honestly I'd be worried what would happen if they tried, probably end up burning the station down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

I can't understand the sentiment here, the guards are doing something which will reduce emissions and people are just slating them on a purity test. Seriously some people need to give it a rest, it's about cars it's not a religion

Ah we're just having a laugh, the article title is misleading implying the vehicles are fully electric when they're hybrids

I think Toyota or Hyundai got busted on false advertising a while back for doing the same thing

Toyota. For their "self charging" cars. That ad is banned pretty much in the whole world for being misleading. Except of course in Ireland. Lord only knows how many people in this country are in their pocket.

Hyundai actually make real electric cars. And very good ones at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's a Garda Ioniq 5 in Wexford Town.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I wonder if they charge them, do they end up in court?

/I'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

As a bright spark said, they're only discharging their duties. In fairness, there's a lot of regeneration there.

In other news, a local plumber has just purchased a new petrol car. It's envisaged Ireland's CO2 emissions will now plummet. RTE have an outside broadcast unit on the way to document the event.

😀.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Good job I'm not from Limerick so 😀.

I bet 2x diesels could ultimately be better in that role (RPU/high mileage/motorway use etc), in terms of CO2 emissions, than petrol hybrids. Sure, diesel emissions would be bad if used in a mainly urban environment, but the RPU aren't really a city operational unit.

But they are not EVs.

A cheap Model 3 LR would be ideal - SuC just out the road on the M7 etc.

Model 3 P even better. Nobody will be able to get away 😎

Motorway police in the Netherlands in the 70s and 80s:

As you can imagine, these police officers got the respect they deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It's one of my local papers and nothing but a rag with click bait online articles and filled with adverts. I saw it the other day, knew it was wrong but they were likely hoping for a load of the usual disillusioned comments about why they didn't spent the money on the hospital or the homeless.

Many of their articles are just taken from other sources, online ones mostly from Garda Twitter, and most likely rewritten using Quillbot or similar.

Yeah I never understand those comments from people giving out about Gardai getting decent fast cars because they cost a lot. To "man" a Garda patrol car 24/7/365 with 2 Gardai, takes about 10 full time jobs, which costs the most of €1 million per year in labour cost and pension. Does it really matter if the car costs €50k per year then? Also if Gardai are to drive cars at high speeds during their duty (serving and protecting us), do they not deserve the best possible safety while they are doing that?

Very powerful, fast police cars prevent crime. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

They got a few of them on the go, one in Athlone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Jizique

Wait till you hear about Full Self Driving and "autopilot"

Or as it's now known, "how Elon could afford to sink $44 billion on twitter" 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

Many people just don't like to see public servants getting nice things funded by the hard pressed taxpayer

Yeah. Very much a thick, blinkered view. If you go by my simple calculation of costs there alone.

Tbh only a few of the road policing units really need fast cars. We don't have that many high speed chases and the guards policy seems to be to run them down and try to clear the roads ahead to stop the miscreants car from killing anyone

It's a much better policy IMO than in America where they seem to force them off the road and then shoot everyone in the car 15 times

Sorry, I might have been spending too much time in the politics forum 😜

I do agree there's no point in cheaping out on police vehicles. Seems to me however the best qualities would be that it can be run for long hours cheaply and can also take a Fiat Punto being driven into it at speed and still drive

So, looking forward to seeing the guards rolling around in a Cybertruck 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭zg3409

To be fair in Donegal town they have a new station, with NO EV charger, on street parking with foothoath so they probably can't get a charger and they abandon the Garda car across the road at the esb ecars public charge point. Hopefully a charger is planned but might not be easily possible. At least if the charge point is blocked you can just ring 999

Advertisement