Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland is a pretend football country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d been aware of the adidas rumours too.. by far the best sportswear brand in terms of quality and design.

I liked that Umbro kit we had though… but Castore ? They put zero effort or imagination into the aesthetic design of the shirts.

Google ‘Castore football shirts’ vile looking things..

whoever designed that Newcastle one below literally went to work one day and said..” fûck, deadline for that Newcastle shirt is 5pm today… ahh I can’t be arsed, black, white, big stripes I’ll go home sick at lunch, fück em”…. Horrible cheap looking and unimaginative jerseys…

New Balance were shîte but this stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it turns out to be Castors I will purchase and burn the national shirt and record it, removing any appearance of the tricolour off it beforehand. I'd rather Delaney stayed at the wheel on €360k plus a year with the winner of the basket case league getting €125k (if the team on the pitch was each sitting on their hole on the dole they would make more, absolute embarrassment of an organisation). People should be in jail with the amount of public funds it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I’d love that but redevelopment of 2 grounds a year to that degree (10k capacity) will come to 100-150 million a year at least. The bill for upgrading dalymount to a 6k capacity stadium is 35 odd million and that will climb no doubt.

also GAA county grounds are mainly monolithic shitholes with shag all facilities so I think your point that the government is in the GAA’s pocket is a story that’s out there but I certainly didnt see anything “state of the art” in my time attending GAA games. I think GAA stadiums are even in more need of heavy investment than soccer stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭pgj2015

yeah but LOI games are on every week from February to October, how many times does a county team play a championship game every year? 2 or 3 times, you cant compare them like that.

The English fans are laughing at ejits from some place like Longford wasting their money travelling over to support Liverpool, trying to pretend the are a Scouser, its embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

I kinda like that Newcastle Jersey 😳

Is it really that bad looking? Do you object on the basis it's not in keeping with tradition/look of previous jerseys?

Or do you just think it looks awful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it sounds so simple on paper but they've been talking about redeveloping Dalymount, the home of the LOI, for about 20 odd years now and nothing is happening. With all the money the government throw around on stupid stuff, some functioning small stadiums is hardly such a big ask. Ireland just struggles to do anything to do with infrastructure or building, we make it as difficult as possible, too many vested interests who want different things and zero leadership people can get behind. We should be aiming at having something like what Norway have, but unfortunately a half decent league is just a pipe dream let's face it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The violence, and disorder, that permeates LoI soccer, particularly in Dublin with Shamrock Rovers and Bohs, is a major “red flag” for a lot of people.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

so poor that LOI teams now get into the group stages of European Comps while you are fawning over Accrington Stanley or Crewe Alexandra on your telly.

there's feck all of it, far more in GAA, people attacking referees etc.

• Advertisement

Oddly specific. I don't follow football at all. I was quoting the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You've gotten caught up in a lot of this violence whilst attending LOI games yourself I take it?

Glazers Out!

I’ve witnessed some of it, firsthand, albeit a long time ago and I’ve seen the news “reports” on more recent times.

Didn’t think you’d have much interest in LoI much these days, N? Not with United turning things around but maybe it’ll take a few, actual, trophies to get those “fans” back.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

°°°°°

Yeah all United fans are caricatures we just exist as fodder for your rapier wit.

Glazers Out!

Hahaha, well met. Some are real fans, I had counted yourself as one, and a large number are now ex-fans who “jumped ship” to LoI, particularly Rovers and Bohs, once United went rubbish.

The surge in attendances, and the drop in visibility of United jerseys, correlating with the massive dip in form, bear this out. Along with the large number of, fickle, ex-United fans who claim to “no longer follow soccer at all”, of course.

°°°°°

That type of thing has always gone on.

When Liverpool won the champions league in 2005 there were people I'd known all my life who suddenly came out of the woodwork as lifelong Liverpool fans.

I spent years following Rovers during our homeless years, all stick and no carrot. When the little fella is old enough and if he's interested I'll go back and bring him along, life is just too busy these days though.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Your post makes me think you don't understand football. I'm sure you know that in any given home game week theres loads of Pool fans in Anfield that are not from Liverpool so if any English fans were to laugh at such a thing then that fan would be a gobsh*te who doesn't understand what's important to EPL clubs.

Nobody from Longford has ever pretended to be a Scouser and people are allowed to decide for themselves what they want to spend their money on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

United fans never went anywhere, they just went quiet

Yeah well if someone from Southampton wants to support Man united, at least they are English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

What does the country you come from have to do with the club you support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

Irish Liverpool fans complain about a few punch ups at Bohs - Rovers matches, but then claim the mass murder of Italians by Liverpool fans at Hysel is 'over blown'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭landofthetree

RTE pundits predicted Liverpool would win tonight.

Now they are crying and in disbelief.

Lol.

“Not having a LOI team close by is no excuse either”.

You don’t say?? Look at how lop sided in geographical terms the Premier Division is this season. 5 of the 10 clubs in Dublin, with a further 2 in Louth. That leaves three in Cork, Derry and Sligo. Say you have someone who likes football in, say, Clifden in Co. Galway who wants to watch the top flight, they face a 200 mile round trip to watch the nearest club in Sligo. The cost of just getting to a game would be prohibitive on it’s own.

Look at the capital projects that the GAA have been investing in..

One being Pairc Ui Chaoimh … 30 million government grant….

so the government are willing getting the cash out, tens of millions for one project…lots of clubs locally here and nationally are getting a dig out too…

a few years of prioritising other sports, like soccer, would be appropriate.

one swallow ( pairc ui caoimh) doesn’t make a summer. There is an absolute multitude of GAA stadia that needs millions. Just like there are is an absolute multitude of football stadiums in need. The new president of the GAA referenced this in his opening address.

unfortuately there has been a culture over decades of allowing stadiums crumble. The nettle will have to be grasped eventually and it won’t be cheap.

The GAA in Meath and Louth have been creative at least in taking advantage of the government policy of granting residency permits to any foreign national who invests 500k euros in national infrastructures.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Do you know that I've been following Bohs home and away for 20 odd years and I've never actually seen a punch thrown.

I have seen punches thrown at the few GAA and rugby matches I've been at though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

What I could never understand is why the FAI never approached the government with a plan for a proper league and payments to players? Easy to blame the likes of the GAA or rugby who make use of their funding, but soccer has been grossly mismanaged, mostly through greed and internal politics, and it has left soccer in the state it is.

I haven't heard one decent plan in my years other than complain about what other funding sports are getting. What's even worse, is that it's the most played sport on the island, pretty much everybody that's played sports in one form or another has played or plays soccer. The numbers are there, the vision or competence not so much.

There's so many approaches Irish soccer could have to improve things, but it always seems to take the wrong option.

Regarding comments on the gaa funding: the gaa have their sh1t together, and when you have everything in order it’s easy to get funding

The government in Ireland are not in the habit of bankrolling the FAI’s plans for Irish football. That would not be seen as a purpose of irish government. They picked up the tab at least when the FAI went bankrupt.

if you want to make an argument that there is no money to be made in Irish football it’s a very easy argument to make. It’s a lot harder to make the argument there is “gold in them thar hills”.

The government would just say that if football in Ireland is potentially financially succesful then just go to the private sector and pitch to them.

• Advertisement

So you are saying its cheaper and easier to fly over to Liverpool from Clifton, than go to a LOI match? That is what is happening.

Someone from Clifton would likely support Galway United not Sligo Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

Theres massive interest in Soccer/Football in Ireland.

But expecting us to have a League of Portugal/Denmark standards let alone England will never happen.

Ive heard grumblings about the likes of Portlaoise and Thurles but those stadiums represent by and large a county team and are a great venue for neutrals. Portlaoise would be almost too big for a LOI fanbase. Certainly one in Laois.

Club GAA will always be a big event for a town but it doesn't really work for soccer as more than likely the same town might have 2 if not 3 soccer clubs and even some might be playing further away with another club.

Even looking at the League of Ireland its by and large for people that live in the bigger cities/towns spectator wise. Its good that Kerry have represenation in the league of Ireland but its not all that accessible for someone from say Dingle or Cahirciveen to follow them week in week out.

Soccer is just too fragmented to command the audience of the GAA.

People moan about those from Ireland that follow English Football but you may as well moan about the rest of the World as they follow it too. On its day the Premier League is a glorious event.

Not only that but every Stadium is within reach of the majority of fanbases. The travel infrastructure in place, the population and a modest sized land makes England one of the most ideal places in the world for a Football fan(or any for that matter). Those things works heavily in its advantage. Its no wonder fan culture is so strong there.

Other than our size we could never get that for League of Ireland. Buses and Trains service and all that just isn't there

Besides the GAA is as good an organisation you could wish for anywhere in the world for country of about 5m. It will always have the community appeal that Soccer and Rugby will never match. Every grade seems to matter and the club games are accessible to people with the County Championship and then Provincial System. You'd be hard pushed to find a sports body with such broad appeal amongst the grassroots all the way to the top(underage, club,second/third level, club,). The GAA nails the lot.

I would like to see LOI improve its standing (I've been to a few games myself) and though I like the game I wouldnt sacrifice the GAA for it. Bar 1 or 2 things the GAA is near perfect.

I played Gaelic football for 20 years, never played soccer, but for me Gaelic football has become unwatchable really, 30 players in one half, balls being kicked back to goalkeepers, goalkeepers acting like forwards, brawls, sledging, diving etc. Shamrock rovers v Derry city is a far better watch than say Derry v Monaghan. Eventually I think people will boycott GAA games because of how bad most of it is to watch these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

Gaelic Football is nowhere near as bad as it is made out to be.

In the past week you had a cracking sigerson cup final, and about 7 to 8 decent games at least out of 16 in the National League last weekend.

it has definitely become slower and more predictable. Very boring at times, all teams play the blanket-defence, which ruins it, the mark is awful as well in my opinion. I think a lot of GAA fans are trying to convince themselves that it is still good to watch but it really isn't. Northern teams playing against each other are the worst games. The goalkeepers leaving their goal is ridiculous and makes a joke of the game.

The attendances are so shît here because for decades, the product is poor.

spectator facilities are third world ( being kind ) and by and large the quality of football ain’t terrific.

INVEST in the product. It’s not fûcking rocket science.

governments should have given every LOI premier division team an x million stadium grant, staggered… that has to go towards stadium construction / upgrades. No matter what ground in what city, what team, there would be a ground of suitable comfort, modern, state of the art.

problem is when as a government you are beholden to other sectors in society, like the arts. The arts council get grants of roughly 130 million a year…

but if soccer fans, clubs etc got a dig out the GAA and their hardcore would be triggered to the point of outrage despite the advantages and multiple millions invested in their sport over decades.

its almost as if governments and the GAA would be a little afraid of another sport usurping their status in the country.

• Advertisement

It’s off topic but the main problem with GAA at intercounty elite level is that there is a very established food chain. 80% of teams know before a ball is kicked every year that they might win a few games but they will be gobbled up by the 20% counties. And even within that 20%, Dublin and Kerry are close to all powerful and that is becoming more inevitable not less.

i don’t think people will stop going to games but GAA hasn’t really grown much in the last few years. I think LOI is at its most popular ever level in living memory for many reasons and one is Gaelic football at intercounty level is a weak product in terms of the closeness of teams to be able to compete with each other meaningful.

Will be at Dalymount on Friday, playing dundalk and sold out. Can't wait! Had been at a couple of Palace games of late but more excited about this tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I already gave you plenty of links showing the fai get and have typically received govt money than the gaa in the past 20 years.

Its easy to blame the government and the gaa for all your problems, bit the LOI is in its current state because of the FAI alone, which is a complete shambles. Plus the FAI got a €20m bailout not 3 years ago, why exactly would you throw good money after bad, esp at the expense of arts or more competent sports?

No, and I’m not talking about the FAI..

The money should go directly from the government to the clubs… the money shouldn’t go anywhere near the FAI, nor did I anywhere suggest that it should. I clearly and specifically said… “governments should have given every LOI premier division team an x million stadium grant, staggered… that has to go towards stadium construction / upgrades. No matter what ground in what city, what team, there would be a ground of suitable comfort, modern, state of the art.”

going on about how shît the FAI are isn’t adding to the debate. The FAI are shîte, the sky is blue, we know this..

that’s not an excuse as to why there shouldn’t be responsible and savvy investment to improve the sport, the playing and spectator infrastructure.

GAA lads are routinely triggered by other sports getting a fairer shout, or indeed any shout… even a suggestion..

yet the resources they have… they can facilitate massive events…Rolling Stones, Taylor Swift, Michael Buble ..According to the stadium’s financial accounts for 2018 they earned a tidy €5.56m from what was termed ‘hire of facilities’. This was an increase of 36% on the 2017 figure of €4.10m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

Then why doesn't soccer build the same type of facilities and make use of them? Surely that would even things out then?

Soccer's problem isn't the GAA getting government grants (and soccer gets plenty too, more in some years than the GAA gets), soccer's problem is that it is poorly run, utterly backwards in organisational and competition structure, and pisses away what money it does get. As for youth development, it's practically non-existent in the LOI. None of which is the GAA's fault.

And then there's the product. Some of the games are just shocking to watch. Even the good ones (and in fairness, there's plenty of them too), have the feel of a pub league game at times. And that product seems exclusively aimed at Dublin, and to a lesser extent, other cities. I'd wager there's more people attending county championship matches on average in Kilkenny than the LOI, never mind the bigger counties, as a result.

Of course, it's just easier to say the GAA are the problem than sort out soccer problems, no effort needed in that.

• Advertisement

I would argue that soccer in Ireland’s biggest endemic problem is that it has one income stream (the men’s senior international team) trying to launch the whole football economy.

I think you could have great people in the FAI and it would still be an enormous struggle.

Would be great if the FAI put that money into the league though. Instead it just seems to go on running the FAI, particularly on, massively, overinflated wages.

john Delaney was on massive wages, who else do you think is being overpaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

From seeing nephews and nieces playing underage club level coaching still seems a bit Jack Charlton esque. Not all coaches but a sizeable minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Cran

The FAI and Government has let down Football so badly in this country for the past 40 years or more its been terrible. The facilities are disgraceful and support for both LOI clubs and grassroots football is beyond a joke, the FAI only care about the national team and propped up by a lot blazers in different leagues just interested in own small section rather than overall picture. There are many brilliant people working in football in Ireland from LOI down to local clubs, and let down so badly by the overall association.

My annoyance with the situation isnt premiership TV followers etc but the load of Irish players off the radar playing in League 1 and 2 who week in week out are entertaining & are role models for children in towns and cities throughout the UK. A lot of these players should be able to make a similar living in nice 6/7 to 10k seater stadiums across Ireland entertaining football mad Irish children, they can also play in Europe and see opportunities here in the game to develop the standard. This is the real failure with was has happened with neglect by the FAI etc

What’s the CEO’s salary now, 200k? I’m fully aware you have to pay well to get the “right” people but when they continue to, effectively, ignore the domestic league and seem to, solely, focus on the national team I think that’s overpaid.

Isn’t the prize money for winning the league of Ireland around 120k?

Perhaps I’m being too hard on the ones in charge of the FAI, at the executive level, and it’s all just a hangover of the “Delaney era” but nothing really looks like it’s changing.

The crowds are filling up the grounds for matches so now is the time to invest heavily in the domestic game or once Man United start winning premier leagues again all the fans who “jumped ship” will, simply, jump back.

you say you’re fully aware but think 200k is too much of a salary for a organization with revenue of 50 million euro annually. That, with respect, would not suggest a high level of familiarity with CEO pay scales.

I, personally, am unimpressed by Jonathan Hill (current ceo). I think the fai needed someone charismatic and public and experienced like Niall Quinn to get involved at a high level.

if you think the FAI should be financing the LOI heavily then there is a lot I could say but the main thing is where do you think the money would come to finance the LOI?

Ireland is a rich country but so many Irish football fans seem to think because Ireland is rich, Irish football has the automatic potential to be rich aswell. Irish football has to be viewed independently from the country and although it has 2 major things going for it :

1- culture of strong support for the national team

2- it’s in the richest confederation

irish football is probably more Ethiopian than Irish in terms of its resources

soccer don’t have the money, are not being given the funding. The GAA do and yet…are also gifted it too. That has been explained already. The GAA get the grants AND yet have seriously reliable and lucrative revenue streams. Best of both worlds. They are made, largely it’s politics. Wouldn’t like to be the political party who deprioritise them for funding. You’d have uproar from Termonfeckin to Tuam and from Cobh to Killibegs. Be a vote looser, therefore the GAA have an absolute stranglehold on us taxpayers and our money. It’s not only soccer being thrown in the ha’penny place because of them and the manner at which they are bankrolled. Multiple sports and the development thereof, the national and international success thereof compromised. It’s almost mafia like the cosy relationship between successive governments and the GAA.

the quality of the LOI has improved.

but if you want the ‘product’ as a whole to improve you need to improve the facilities and not have punters and supporters shelling out the best part of 20 euros to be sat in a glorified drafty shed. The facilities …NEED to be comfortable, modern, clean… quality. Build such facilities, people will want to be there…. Investing in their clubs. But, the GAA and.. ‘GAA people’ won’t like it..no

GAA clubs having massive government money thrown at them for all weather pitches, handball alleys and other facilities.

in 2020 St. Bridget’s GAA club were gifted 150,000 euros of taxpayers money to replace their all weather pitch.

An Irish soccer club would be lucky to get a new tractor to cut their pitch.

Faughs GAA, gifted 128,055….. Expansion of Gym,Fitness Studio&Related Facilities 🤷‍♂️

the last one is a doozy.

Oh, I’m aware alright. Well aware. I just don’t see how the association, pulling in 50 million as you say, can preside over a domestic league run on a shoe string.

well my understanding is some of that revenue is from the government and the FAI are an intermediary just disbursing the sums they receive to projects nationwide as agreed.

another revenue stream would be UEFA prize money for Irish clubs. This mean the FAI are just an intermediary that disburse “other people’s money”.

then you have staff fees, administrative, executive and coaching staff. You may think these are overpaid but I believe the reality is quite the opposite.

then you have the national teams at all age levels and both genders, the Paralegic and amateur teams. Travel, accommodation and there is a lot of travel involved.

until recently only the men’s national team would run on a profit but maybe the women’s does now as well.

the LOI has no tv deal so it brings in no money to the association and would be a burden rather than a revenue stream. If the LOI felt they were getting a raw deal from the FAI they could go it alone and make their own deals and be independent like the premier league in England ….yet they have not chosen to do this…which is worth considering.

the LOI needs heavy investment from somewhere, expecting the FAI to have the financial resources to meet the LOI’s vast requirements is wholly unrealistic given how bad off the financials of the FAI are

• Advertisement
Advertisement