Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Mayo team named

1 Colm Reape Knockmore

2 Jack Coyne Ballyhaunis

3 Rory Brickenden Westport

4 Enda Hession Garrymore

5 Stephen Coen Hollymount-Carramore

6 Conor Loftus Crossmolina Deel Rovers

7 Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels

8 Matthew Ruane Breaffy

9 Diarmuid O’Connor Ballintubber

10 Fionn McDonagh Westport

11 Jack Carney Kilmeena

12 Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers

13 Aiden Orme Knockmore

14 James Carr Ardagh

15 Ryan O'Donoghue Beal an Mhuirthead

Physically very strong around the middle but very inexperienced at the back, only Coen really an established IC back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

How many of that team with start the championship opener in April. If fit Hession,Coen,Loftus,Ruane,O'Connor,Flynn,O'Donoghue should anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No way will Brickenden have the physicality for Comer.

Yeah, those should all be definite. Maybe carney too. You'd hope that a few fringe/young lads like McDonagh, Orme, Callinan, McHugh, Coyne, etc. can step up a level and become nailed on starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'd say only Cillian,Paddy,Tommy C,o Hora,Eoghan Mac and Hennelly to add to that starting line up.

We have to try out new lads but we should have a really strong bench tomorrow aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Plunkett and Harrison if they can get back aswell should start and maybe McBrien.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Depressing enough looking at that hair back line and comparing it to some of the players who couldn’t even make it over the past decade

Hope there are changes to the team and in particular that sector . Interesting to see Reape edge out Byrne. He deserves the shot based on what I’ve seen from both .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Reape is still learning his trade, the odd poor decision is there but he's improving all the time. Excellent under a high ball

Much more optimistic now I have seen both benches. Expect Cillian and McBrien to start now

Entertaining start. Thought Reape was awful for the goal, no presence whatsoever.

Watch should be stopped for the 'injuries' ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That black card "time management" from Galway was a bit of a joke

• Advertisement

Are we playing into the wind?

So many shots dropping short 🫤

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The amount of balls dropped short is ridiculous.

Have to say that was an enjoyable half of football. Good level of intensity on display.

Tackling has been great. Four balls dropped short - three of which were poor - is very disappointing considering there is little wind. Pressure yes but a lack of composure in truth.

Bob Tuohy is such an exciting prospect and you can feel the crowd buzz when he is on the ball. Aidan Orme is not county level at all and won't be (nothing to do with the Galway goal, little he could do about that). Just my thoughts.

Our point kicking still isn't up to scratch imo. Very ponderous at times going forward. Tackling is good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Shocking goal to concede. Imagine if Hennelly was in goal for that - the meltdowns would be chronic.

That was a poor goal to concede looking at it again.

The goalie has to take control there and clear out man and ball.

I think with all the focus on sweeper keepers and playmaking, the fundamentals of the position might get lost

That aside, defensively we’re doing better than I anticipated. We should be ahead or at least level - 4 dropped short with 2 of them being very scorable.

we’ll need to improve in the second half.

Why are we bringing the ball into contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 EIapprentice

Bit of feigning injury there from CO’C when Kelly was coming out with the ball. Quite the recovery.

Sure Comer went down awful easy for a big man several times. He’s not a mona Lisa but his face seems to hurt him a lot.

Aside from the neighbourly jousting that we might expect and the usual picky stuff, a Draw was a fair result.

Some point by ROD 😎

The defence did well imho but as ever with Mayo the problems are further up the pitch.

Not convinced by Carr still.... he'll score the odd spectacular goal/point but no consistency. And we've probably seen enough of Orme now to say he's not going to make it. I'll be happy to be proved wrong by both of them

At least Carr is direct and I'd stick with him. Orme no, just not up to this level.

Some point from O'Donoghue but a lot of indecision in the forward play and frankly shocking at the back at times. And yet we still could have won (and maybe should have, the final Galway free wasn't a foul).

I think Carr certainly has done a bit this evening to help his cause. Orme didn’t do himself any favours this evening in terms of getting scores but I think he’s a bit like Jason Doherty in terms of work off the ball. He’s no Jason Doherty yet though.

• Advertisement

Jason Doherty is a tremendous tackler and ball winner. Orme lacks a bit of strength on the ball for me and he's too hesitant when the shot is on.

Yeah his shot selection is questionable at times.

Last point from Ryan though. OMG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I thought the backs played very well.

None of the wide open spaces we have seen recently from Mayo.

As regards the forwards, I hope that a full forward line for the championship would be made up of Conroy, O'Donoghue and Cillian.

As we saw tonight the latter two know how to get the scores.

And you'd know Buckley is back in town with some of the tackling.

But it took Doherty a while to develop into who he ended up being.

I remember when he first appeared on the scene there was a lot of inconsistent games for him, and he was talked about the same way Orme is now.

Now I don't know what Orme will develop into or otherwise, just that Doherty was a bit of a late bloomer.

Agree on the tackling. That was a huge positive. We were great in the tackle. Could see a huge difference even from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

That is Carr down to a T. He has loads of potential but the consistency is not there and I am not sure if it will ever be. He is around a good few years and should be laying his cards down for a position in the forwards. Agree with the rest on Orme, he is not at the level required. How the hell Mcstay let him take the first free is beyond me.

Overall good result for us considering the game last week, ROD is just a top player. ....

dunno. I was always a fan. I thought when he started he was a scoring machine (which he was) that then seemed to move on to other parts of the game which he did and did very well. Him always being a scoring machine is something I’d question - he probably wasn’t going to be consistent enough at that but by god could he deliver elsewhere and we really could do with him or a similar replacement who would do the same job. My point is he was always going to be a talent whatever way he ended up. When he came on the scene I think he scored 4 goals and then did a number of similar scorings in his early outings in the league. But like any player in that vein, opponents will have the work done to prevent that in the future.

I’d like to think Orme had the same sort of credentials. He’s a work in progress and I’m not going to rule him out yet; I’ve high hopes for him. I’m going to go out on a limb for him and I think he’ll come good yet.

if he doesn’t though I think McStay has other options to work on. There’s a few others like his own nephew or young Irwin that are rightfully champing at the bit for a bit of intercounty experience so if Orme isn’t up to it, there’s a few there ready to take the position.

Work in progress.

Cracking point from ROD to salvage a point that I thought we deserved. We need to get him on the ball more often.

Madness to see fellas on here writing off a young fella like Orme. He was poor tonight and while I might be biased, I've no doubt he'll be an important player for us. He played deeper than usual tonight, him and Flynn were positioned on our 45 on either wing for a good few Galway kickouts.

Carr does some silly things but he can be very good as well. There might be a spot on the HF line for him if he could get some consistency.

A good few of the newer lads struggled I thought, Orme, Carney, McBrien, Brickendon & Reape but considering their age/experience, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Touhy looked nervous at times but hit a nice point, not sure he's a forward though.

Poor/unexceptional performances from some of our bigger players would be a bigger worry - DOC poor, Ruane poor in the first half but better in the 2nd and unlucky with the black, Coen & Loftus were okay but these senior players need to be pushing us on.

Flynn & Coyne were good as was Hession esp in the 2nd half.

Time wasting during the black card needs to be addressed, it's a massive loophole that's easily exploited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Harsh on McBrien I think - Comer was almost anonymous in second half.

Carney quieter than I had hoped alright, but he's still a relatively new player, would persist with him above likes of McDonagh who doesn't seem have learned anything over past 4 years.

• Advertisement

I thought mcbrien was okay, behind his man a couple of times and gave away a couple of frees but Comer is a tough man to debut against tbf. Will have learned a lot I'd say

My overall point though was that there should be plenty of leeway for younger players, it's the older ones who need to lead the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Buckley is back I expect a huge improvement in tackling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I like the look of Loftus at centre back. I don't know if it will work out in the long term - hopefully it does. But he seems like a new man in that position. Calm on the ball. Bit of a playmaker instinct to him, and wanting to get on the ball. When he is in the forwards, the game often passes him by - he does not have any burst of speed or side-step to deliver as a forward. I hope it works out for him.

I know its early days, but I would still have massive concerns about our forwards this year. I didn't see any evidence of a plan for our forward play last night and I thought there was a great deal of indecision and a lack of confidence in shooting from most of the forwards bar O'Donoghue. Much the same as last year when we were blaming it all on Horan. I would have big doubts about some of the personnel and I don't know if we're going to see anything different from them. Carr, while he has flashes of brilliance, is so inconsistent and has a tendency to just put the head down more often than not. Orme isn't the answer either.

Bad set of results for us today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Roscommon looking down and seeing Mayo and Galway. And there are no mountains in Ros!!

• Advertisement

It's very early.

Mayo's next games are

Armagh

Kerry

Tyrone

Roscommon

Donegal

Monaghan

Kerry are not coming with the same vigour as last year so that's one I would not rule out.

And importantly our last three games are against teams that are not as deep as Mayo.

They will be playing with full decks from the start to try and get a foothold to keep their division one status.

By the time they get to Mayo Mayo should be fresher.

I think the schedule helps Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Not sure I'd agree on that, they highlighted Loftus for the first goal last nite, how have Galway managed to isolate our corner forward and their half forward on the edge of the square. That situation shouldn't have been allowed to happen, he needs to be passed onto a back the closer he is getting to goal and I'd have that as the No. 6's responsibility. A cuter player would have been able to block Tierney and Reape should have cleared him out of it and made him sorry for coming near there. I said on Saturday that Reape can have the odd wrong decision and that was a good example, he is only in goal three years, I'm not sure you can learn all you need to that quickly.

On Orme, I think its outrageous that lads are writing him off so quickly, hes 22 and has started 8 games for Mayo but apparently lads have seen enough of him. What I see is a player who wins every ball that goes into him, doesn't matter if its high or low he'll win it. A lot of the ball he got on Saturday he looked up and there was no run inside so hes back to recycling the ball. His shooting and his decision making around shooting needs to improve but that will come with time. His work rate and kick passing are outstanding.

I see Hennelly is transferring to Raheny, probably not good news for @PARlance, even though Breaffy seem to have a great replacement I would take it to mean Hennelly doesn't see Breaffy winning a county title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I wouldn't paint it as a decision of him not thinking Breaffy will win a county title @GreenandRed@Green&Red. He deserves more credit than that. He's living in Dublin a long time now, and he just got married (so maybe plans afoot there to start a family). A great lad and I don't think too many in Breaffy will begrudge him. It helps that Livingston is coming through no doubt.

Would agree with you about Orme, lots of potential there, but decision making and shooting needs to improve. It's a big year for him, I think he'll get there. We shouldn't be knocking guys who aren't afraid to take a pop but he probably needs to reign it in a bit.

Robbie has been travelling over and back for 10 or 12 years now and made his reasons clear on the podcast. Long story short - he's living in Dublin, the split season extends the travel period considerably for him and he just recently got married and no doubt has plans for his family and his career.

Hard to blame the man.

It's not like he's doing a correspondence course where he wants to be closer to the post box for sending off his homework and got a bag of cash for transferring. 😉

As for Orme - he needs a bit of time and experience. I wouldn't be calling for a lad to be dropped having played only a few games.

It wasn't that long ago people were calling for Jordan Flynn to be dropped and look how important his contribution was on Saturday night alone (not to mention several other games last year too).

• Advertisement
Advertisement