Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1996 Nissan Primera won't start

Options
  • 26-01-2023 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everybody, hopefully somebody can help me.

I have just bought a 1996 1.6 gx red nissan primera it's been sitting for a long long time but I've been trying to buy it for years and finally I have it.

It's a non runner so what I have been told is its immoblised something to do with the key!

I have tried starting it fuel pump primes starts for 3 - 5 secs then dies!

It's like the injectors stop pumping???

Has anybody over the years incountered this???

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

Does it turn over, try to fire, any lights on the dash, is the battery charged, how old is the fuel, is it getting fuel, have you checked the spark, is the engine turning if you do it manually, does the key have a battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aaronh86

Hi yes it does turn over its will start on the second turn of the key only for a few seconds then it cuts out the fuel pump is working there is spark,

The power gets cut to the injectors it seems.

Dash lights up normal all lights work and electric windows doors lock/unlock with button on key

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Not very common but ignition switches gave trouble on a few. When it starts dont let the key return the whole way to the ignition stage - just enough for the starter to disengage. If that works its def the switch

Hi thanks we have looked into the ignition switch already its perfect.

Been snooping on Google and alot of old fourms seem to have the NATS immobiliser as a common problem seems to have the same symptoms as mine!

As far as I'm aware my 1996 primera with red chip in key has NATS 2 which seems to be a bugger to put right!?

Anybody encounter this?

From memory NATS didn't give a lot of bother, should show NATS light & don't think fuel pump would run.

Switch was easily missed,bridge + & ign wires on the plug just to be super sure.

Odd distributor problem too if it's the one with 2 plugs, second plug is cam position (that would kill the injectors)- some of the sunny or almera ones fitted. They were Hitachi? & not that Lucas dirt.

Longer shot was alternator faults (Lucas again) for some unknown reason - disconnect it to see what happens.

Fuel pumps if very loud not building enough rail pressure

Injector pulse is easy test with an LED or Noid light

Other than that & front suspension links they were bullet proof. Presume it's late 96 P11 being a GX

• Advertisement

Hi no it's a late p10 1996 the last of the 91 - 96 shape! I'll have to mess with it!

It needs to be saved and not parted out

Did you get it going?

One I forgot - EGR valve stuck open

Hi not yet its an ecu problem.

Have found a non nats ecu in Italy with key, ignition barrel and ecu so should be here Wednesday.

Hopefully this will get it running and I can get to work restoring her.

Advertisement