Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Black police officers charged over death of Tyre Nichols

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I'd usually be of the same opinion but this is different. The Memphis police chief herself has said there is no evidence so far as to the reckless driving that's Nichols had been initially stopped for. The poor chap was set upon for fcuk all reason and is now dead as a result.

The fact that the cops all had their body cams on shows that some cops really feel that they will be protected by the blue wall of silence.

I stated that institutional racism has caused poorer outcomes for some black communities. Doesn't mean the crimes aren't being committed as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Looks like the trolls have taken over the thread. Time to unfollow

Stripping an entire group of people of their own agency because of their history is incredibly dehumanising. You realise these are actual people you're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Stripping an entire group of people of their own agency is incredibly dehumanising

It sounds like you're describing slavery. I'm out, as clearly you people aren't ready for the education that you badly need. The sooner this stuff is thought in school the better, as at least the next generation won't live in ignorance like the privileged people on this thread.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The USA in ten years has gone from about 14.6k to almost 23k homicides.

There was about 30,k suicides in 2000 and over 45k in 2018.

Those numbers alone show a violent country 20 years ago gone completely out of control.

A police force picked from such a violent dysfunctional society will be violent and dysfunctional and they certainly won't fix it.

My sister lives close to and works in Baltimore, it's closer to Johannesburg than a European city in terms of things we here take for granted in terms of personal safety, use of common spaces etc. Huge numbers of urban areas in USA are similar.

Saying a group of people are not responsible anything they do because history made them do it is stripping them of their own agency.

90% of black murders are committed by black people and you are sitting here saying the murderers are not responsible for it. Imagine your black child being killed by a black man in Chicago and some Irish guy is like, no that's not murder that's a rebellion against oppression, a struggle to remove the chains he still wears.

Loonie tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

No one is denying that crimes are being committed, but I’m looking at the big picture here.

Criminality is more common in the black community in the US because of the complete lack of investment in those communities by the majority white governments.

Poverty leads to increased criminality and, in the US’s case (which is already a racist country), a minority of criminals within a demonised minority has lead to a culture of racism towards that larger minority.

It’s a man-made problem exclusively maintained by stale, pale, and male white men in the US. These beatings and murders of black men by the white establishment’s paramilitary force (the police) is another symptom of the institutionalised racism I am talking about. Believing otherwise is simply racist af.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

100% agree.

He was killed because he charged at guards with a knife not because of his skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

We never see the same stats from Asian people. Why aren't white cops beating the crap out of brown skinned Asians.

• Advertisement

Why are the vast majority of killings by the "white establishment’s paramilitary force" actually white people?

You're saying it's racist as fuk to not view these black men killing a black man as a product of institutionalised racism, and just like the other poster, you are removing their agency as human beings. Malcolm X wrote a lot about people like you two.

Why are the vast majority of killings by the "white establishment’s paramilitary force" actually white people?

Because the “vast majority” of the US are white people.

Despite that, black people are being killed disproportionately. 24% of people killed by the police in the US last year were black, which is some feat when you consider that only 13% of the total population is black (though I suspect you are already familiar with that second figure).

There are huge swathes of the white population in the US who are kept in poverty by the white establishment but that doesn’t change that black men are disproportionately targeted by the American police.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/06/us-police-killings-record-number-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There were people salivating at the prospect of a hate killing at the time. Disgusting stuff.

Glazers Out!

Troll about trivial stuff - it's weird but your life.

Don't use this horrific incident to troll though - ffs, that's warped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

doesnt mean anything untoward is happening, 'po white folk are more likely to be rural so are less policed , black people live in deprived urban areas so are likely to have more police. Its like Dublin you can tell if an area is dodgy by the size of the local Garda station....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Easier to just quote my post from earlier to explain my full thoughts on this.

An over-represented group in a minority of killings means something is up with that minority. You have already explained why crime is higher within black communities. Do you think this increased criminality, which is a result of institutional racism, could cause more negative interactions with the police, or does criminality simply not increase the number of interactions with the police?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just watched an eight minute or so clip on CNN and that was a tough watch.

That was not policing, that was vigilantism.

Tyre Nichols was so calm at the start and the end of the video but for sadly different reasons.

You have a group of so called officers surrounding him like a pack animals protecting a kill, and a voice repeating that "he is as high as a kite".

It is disgusting. May he rest in peace and may some sort iof justice be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

100%. The incident also seems to suggest that if you work for a very badly trained, violent and institutionally racist police force, chances are you will start behaving like them, even if you are black or from an ethnic minority yourself.

That's not to suggest that every police officer in the US is a violent, racist thug (far from it in fact), but there are too many bad apples at this point, especially in the poorer and more neglected parts of the country. It's hard to deny either that racism in general is behind much of this rotten police culture.

Criminality does increase the amount of interactions with police, yes. However the American police are disproportionately violent towards black suspects, whether they have committed a crime or not.

George Floyd had committed a non-violent crime prior his murder (paying with a counterfeit bill). Does that mean that he, a criminal, should have been killed on the street for it? I would argue no. I would also argue that the a white man having committed the same crime would not have been killed for it.

It is a fact that black men are being killed disproportionately by the American police, it is also a fact that there is more criminality in the black communities than in the white communities in the US. There are two reasons for this: the black population is disproportionately kept in poverty by a mostly white controlled society in order to keep the black population under control, or black Americans are inherently prone to criminality.

I believe the former, because it is the truth and I only deal with truth and not libertarian fantasies. Anyone who believes the latter is a racist, because it is a racist belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I definitely think they should be treated harsher. They are there to protect the peace and then murdered someone.

As I believe somebody who murders a garda should be treated more harshly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Should George have been left kill the guard and proceed to kill family members.

No.

Statistics show that white police officers killing unarmed black people in America is incredibly small. Minibus filling small in a country of 340mn.

Police of any background killing innocent people is incredibly small, especially how armed, drug addled and violent American society.

Lots of middle class White activists need a cause and adventure and that ends up with black communities having their shops burnt out. BLM destroyed a generation of black businesses in America. The rich white kids got bored, went home but the damage was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am speaking about the “trying to tie this to racism, endemic institutional racism.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Saw the video. They are some degenerates.

One lad complaining about a sore leg after the victim was beat to a pulp.

Another lad saying he is probably as high as f*ck when the poor man was incoherent due to his injuries.

The usual 'tried to go for my gun' nugget at another stage.

Blase laughing when trying to justify what happened.

From the start, they induced panic and talked like gang-bangers. Hard to believe they were qualified to serve.

In a split second, Tyre Nichols fled after being tasered. Think he'd still be alive otherwise. Complete and utter chaos in the most screwed-up democracy on the planet.

Streets be like that. Gang culture has become community culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

Statistics show that white police officers killing unarmed black people in America is incredibly small.

Police of any background killing innocent people is incredibly small

You’re hiding behind some interesting provisos there.

George Floyd wasn’t “innocent,” should he have been killed the way he was?

Statistics also show that gun ownership (legal or otherwise) is incredibly high in the US, where concealed carrying is commonplace is some states. If a black suspect is carrying a gun when he is committing a crime, should he be killed even if he is not threatening anyone with it?

These are rhetorical questions by the way. My point is that you have manipulated “statistics” (not that you have cited actually any) to support your argument by cherry picking certain conditions.

1176 people were killed by the American police last year, 24% of whom were black (out of a population of 13%). Those are the facts, without fluffing the conditions.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/06/us-police-killings-record-number-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There is a great video on YouTube, it's a black man in New York dressing down white BLM protesters, aren't they nearly all white, for spray painting his shop window.

I'm not your holiday project, we don't need to be saved by you he says.

It was so very accurate.

They go home to Suburbia, back to College and daddy's firm, talking about their Summer of activism at parties. He is Left picking up glass and rebuilding a life for years to come.

Solidarity dude.

If it was the rare occasion of a white policeman killing an innocent black man the activist class would be mobilising, it's not, nothing in it for them, that was like so 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I think one of them is actually being genuine...

Advertisement