Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

yikes 270KM range in the cold, with terrible winter fast charging times..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don’t think anyone doubts that it won’t be a nice car to drive… it’s a Toyota and love them or loath them they can make decent cars as their rich history & vast experience shows….

I’ve had 3 of them including 2 new Avensis… and only put my mother in an Aqua hybrid a few months ago (And she loves it).

I think though when it comes to the EV tech side of things (of which they most certainly have very little experience), that’s where they’ve yet to prove themselves… and so far it’s really not looking good is it?

270km in winter at 100km/h!!.. I’d match that in my (49kWh) 2020 SR+. This thing should be doing way better than that!!

In all the reviews I’ve seen, if you want to know if it’s a good car then yes, they’ve all been fairly positive, but if you want to know if it’s a good EV, they’ve all been fairly negative…

If you’ll mostly charge at home, and hardly ever need more that its less than its range, then it’ll be a perfectly good car for a lot of people…

I can see taxi drivers being stung big time with the Bz4x as I’m sure a load of them will be going for these due to blind loyalty to the brand…

I’ll still await Bjorn’s reviews/tests, but so far it’s not looking good….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Outside of the major faults with the car I've heard absolutely nothing about it, so I was surprised to see this outsold the Cupra Born. Who's buying them? Saw a few people on the electric vehicles subreddit were disappointed when they finally got to see the car.

At least it doesn't have laughable range like that Mazda.

Every dealer got one and then a few customer ones delivered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

Don't worry. Because of the huge number of orders already, toyota has stopped taking new orders for bz4x. Also, toyota ceo says that they have the capability to beat tesla in the coming years.

Tesla looks nice, but can you assure that it will run for 20 years without any issue. But toyota can or everybody knows already that a toyota car will run for ever -may be 30 years without any issue on any single feature.

Your comment about a Toyota running for 30 years without issue is doing a lot of heavy lifting there….. particularly for an untried and untested new technology for them….

Also, toyota ceo says that they have the capability to beat tesla in the coming years.

And?

Man says something so it must be true? He’s hardly going to come out and admit they are years behind all their competitors is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

Yeah Tesla just dropped the price of M3 to less than 45k. It is hard sell for the likes of Hyundai and VW which are quite established on the EV market. If ones still buys a Kona or eniro now.... How much is a bz with its 6. 6 kW charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Thought this was interesting. Toyota deliberately left about 30 miles of range once the reading hits 0 so people wouldn’t get caught out.

But a lot of reviews are focussing on the cars poor range without realising that. According to this Topgear article, there is going to be a software update to improve the reported range.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/toyota-bz4x-ota-update-will-unlock-precious-miles-electric-range-once-batterys

So it looks like Toyota fludged the software of the car so that 100% down to 0% indicated is in reality actually only 100% down to 10%

most of the companies do a bit of that, and maybe Toyota were being a bit conservative with their BMS, but most other manufacturers get a lot closer to their WLTP than the Bz4x does, and they don’t have to unlock any buffer they build in to do so… so that should be fun with their million kilometre battery guarantee to retain at least 70% of stated capacity…. That 10% buffer meant they could anctually afford up to 40% degradation before they are getting hit with warranty claims…. That number becomes 30% overnight thanks to a software update….

they really aren’t doing this whole transition to EV very well are they? It’s almost like they’re not that bothered..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Stopped next to one of these at the lights yesterday, first time having a good look up close. Much bigger than it seems in pictures, easy match in size for my ID4 which ain't a lightweight. Looked very well TBH, even the plastic wheel arches looked ok, and that was on a white car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Sister to the BZ4X the Solterra gets called out for its similar inefficiency.

It’s not gone well so far has it for Toyota/Suburu…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Its the same car, just different badge, how did anyone think it would be different?

Whatever these YouTube spread, toyota has stopped taking orders for bz4x in Ireland because of the huge number of current waiting list. Those who used toyota cars for many years know well of that brand. You could see sales persons of Tesla, kia all are putting their cars at the top of this forum. But they are just a hype. Those brands are not reliable.

Can you put a number for the huge? Just for the reference to look up in few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

toyota has stopped taking orders for bz4x in Ireland because of the huge number of current waiting list.

i think you’re reaching on that one.

There is a waiting list because there are none delivered. Conflating that with some massive demand isn’t reality. Wait for actual deliveries and then assess! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You could see sales persons of kia all are putting their cars at the top of this forum. But they are just a hype. Those brands are not reliable.

Yes they are. The father has had 3 Sportages and all very reliable and well built.

There is a waiting list because there are none delivered. 

Yes there is. My neighbour has one and before that had a Rav-4 hyprid. Don't ask me how he managed to get it so soon its a 22 reg not a 23.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Yeah I see a white 222D out my way too..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yea, fair enough... I should have said "nearly none".

The stats show that there were 140 registered late last year. Presumably a large portion of those are dealer demo cars and then a bunch of customer sales but we are talking tiny numbers... hence waiting lists.

For some perspective.... VW sold 3000 ID.4's last year so 50-100 BZ4X's is literally nothing.

Lets see if Toyota can up their game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Adding some more perspective, the next car IONIQ 5 sold 1100 units, next is TESLA MODEL 3 at 1,044, Toyota is at number 25 just under the model x and 10 places above model Y,

You only have to sell 390 cars to get into the top 10, a lot of car manufacturers have to up their ''game'', but they have been playing for years with some models, and still, sales are slow, its people don't want to buy them or car manufacturers do not want to sell them.

Looking at the leaf, 877 units and in the number 6 spot, why? its ridiculed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Kia are all hype and not reliable? That's nonsense. If you're going to pick a hill to die on it shouldn't be defending Toyota basically nonexistent EVs especially when Hyundai/Kia have solid offerings.

The general consensus of these in the EV community is mixed at best. Lots of people turned off them once they've seen and driven them. Outside of longtime Toyota customers I'd be surprised if many people here are buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The thing is that there are a lot of long term Toyota owners.

They love Toyota's for their reliability and won't have anything else.

The Toyota EV will be the first one and only one they will drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You obviously haven't heard of the widespread Toyota oil burning issue on a large number of models. Not saying they're bad but your hagiography of the brand is a bit much. I do agree with you that German cars are massively overrated though.

Few years ago, I happened to hear that one of my indian community members bought a kia sportage and it is drinking fuel; means no fuel efficiency.

I heard that all the wheels were falling off the BZ. Means wheels fall off on all Toyota's.

Yes, I saw a red bz4x in tallaght and also silver taxi.

The fact is that toyota hybrid cars are still in demand and they are selling 1 million cars a month. Rav4 has huge waiting list in Australia. So toyota finds that they can wait for sometime.

For volkswagon, I think the issue is their petrol car sales dropped in large numbers. I haven't seen a new volkswagin car for months. Only new volkswagon cars I see in the road are EVs. Mostly ID4s.

This is all business. They are not for reducing carbon footprint. When Americans found that Ford or general motors is diminishing, they just introduced tesla.

• Advertisement

Watched the review last night. Nothing surprising. We called it out for the same shortcomings. Inefficiency, slow charging, bad driving position. Had to convert the strange units the brits are using but I got 25kWh/100km which is poor. @40c/kWh that's 10quid/100km. Taxi drivers won't be happy. For people who want a Toyota better stick with their hybrids. Jack didn't answer a crucial question, and usually reviewers don't "Would you buy one?" I mean where do you draw the line? Color, shape boot size are not hard stops for me. But driving position and efficiency are.

Advertisement