Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor Fan Wiring - Help!

• 28-01-2023 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Trying to replace an extractor fan but wiring set-up seems different on the new one. Figured it would be just swapping like-for-like but sadly not.

Coming from the wall, I have a (L) brown, (N) blue and an insulated brown wire.

Can anyone handy tell me where to put each wire as the L's and N's aren't lining up on the inside of the fan itself.

Apologies as I'm not very practical with this stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Did the old fan have a timer ? (fan stays running for a few minutes after you switch it off).

The T terminal takes the permenant supply to run the timer after you switch the fan off. The new fan shoud have been supplied with a wiring diagram.

If you are not sure of this, it's best to get an electrician in.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Thanks for getting back to me fiacha.

Yes, the old fan had a timer. I've attached the wiring diagram provided with the fan. Mine is VX100.

All help is appreciated. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That photo is confusing - the terminals in the fan appear to be mixed up... or am I seeing things?

You have the non-timer version now, right? That only takes a switched L and a N into it, the permanent live isn't used in this case (the fan will switch on and off with the light).

You'll have to work out which of the browns from the wall is the permanent live. I'd guess it's the separately insulated brown one, but you need to check.

Then you would normally wire up the switched live brown to L in that block and blue to N and then terminate the remaining permanent live in the unused terminal block, but the markings in the plastic appear to be mixed up....?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

That's exactly the problem I'm having. The photo is correct. They are out of allignment on the connectors. So it's either the markings on the housing or the woring is done incorrectly. I may have to return in to the shop. I'm glad its not just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Looking online, it's causing confusion elsewhere.

The answer appears to be that you wire to the lettering on the right of the terminal block L, N, T. L and N are clear, but T would be your switched live in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is there any timer connection on that fan

Looks like a screwup from the factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

This is a job for a rec if it’s in a bathroom

he should be connecting the neutral and switched live to the black wires.either way round as polarity isn’t an issue. Just terminate the permanent live into the connector with no cables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Hey guys you're missing the 2 wires in the picture 😁

Advertisement