Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jammy2020

Mid 300’s and called good luck to everyone heading in 😊😬

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bazman33

Late 300s called interview next month looks like it’s on the move again after the Christmas break…! Best of luck to everyone, my advice talk to people in your department for advice I know in mine there only willing to help…!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EagerPalco

Low 400, unfortunately after shortlisting I fell over 350 OoM down the drain💔... But heads up, also called up for an interview next month. Good luck to everyone peeps!🤞💪

• Registered Users Posts: 3 whatshappening123

Can I ask what OOM are you? I am also low 400s and haven't been called yet. Just want to get an idea of how far away from me they are. Thanks

419 to be precise after the 2nd group got shortlisted. You'll be called soon so. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 whatshappening123

Thank you. Best of luck with the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

I was a few days under eligibility, which was revealed in the initial vetting. After an appeal I was declared eligible again so the vetting process is kicking off again. I guess this means I will be placed shortly. I have another issue though.

I have since placed rather low on an AP internal panel. I am 15th for Dublin. If I take the forthcoming HEO offer, unless I remain in my current department I will loose my place. The AP panel is open for two years, so I reckon I probably will get called eventually. But it could take a year or more.

I would be interested in people's advice, if it's not seen as derailing this thread. Ideally I would get HEO in my current department, do it for a year and when my place on the AP panel comes up I move on to that n, with the extra experience that being a HEO for a period of time has given me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bazman33

id say take the HEO, get the experience before going for AP it will come up again at some stage, the other thing is you don’t if the government might have another recruitment freeze and you could lose out on both…!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭isabella5

Does anyone have an idea of the topics that will be issued for the report. Would be good to have some idea on it. What is the eligible pass mark for both presentation and interview. Also do you have to screenshare during the presentation?

Only cos you asked...

The Intradept AP is not certain, as you said it could take year or more. It could also take 5 months, or not reach you at all...

Look at this this way:

How'd you feel if you don't take the HEO and they won't reach you OoM in AP comp?

vs.

How'd you feel if you take the HEO and they would reach your OoM? (If you get the chance to know)

These are great problems, enjoy the decision making process.🤔😉👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 super1290

Hi there, the topics for the presentation vary. They seem to allocate them randomly to everyone. Not everyone gets the same one.

I'm not sure of qualifying marks for this competition.

In 2020 competition the HEO limits after final stage 3 were

Interview (Qualifying Score: 24/ Max Score: 60)

you are then given a mark on each competency they assessed in the interview. if its below 24 you don't pass the interview. however high you get gets you to a desired Order of merit in your final placing.

Presentation (Qualifying Score: 16/ Max Score: 40)

again the same. they are judging all the competencies in your report as well. minimum score is 16, get below 16 in any competency and you don't pass the presentation.

They do encourage some PowerPoint slides with your presentation. and they do encourage a screen share while you do the presentation.

All of this should be in the information booklet you get when invited to stage 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

@Bazman33 & @EagerPalco Thanks for your advice. I have also asked HR in my department. They were helpful, and in the end gave me a personal opinion - which was to take the HEO. I'm also asking my PO, but unless he says something way different, I'll probably take the HEO and try AP again.

I'm being provisionally assigned to the Department of Justice. I'll review this thread to see if anyone has asked what it is like, because I'm sure they have.

Thanks all.

Personally I think a great call and good luck @Shutuplaura. Be the HEO you'd want to get yourself! (And than AP indeed 😉)

I just missed the verbal rreasoning by 27 points on the 2022 AP comp🙄😢🤷‍♂️.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭boccers

Apologies if this was answered already but what happens with holidays if you move to HEO now with the holiday year goin to 31st March? I'm staying within my current Dept if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 newbe64

Hi Kerry,

I am just looking back at previous advice, I have been called for interview and am looking for advise.

I don't have my topics yet, when i do get them, how much detail is expected?

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bride2beee

Follow the guidelines when you receive the topics - they want to know why you choose it, what you propose, how you will do it, where you got the info....

I found the interview tough, felt I buckled under pressure with the questions being fired at me. I almost felt they were on the attack. (I mentioned this to colleagues who said they may have been tough because my answers were good and they were trying to get that extra bit out of me) I really don't feel like that was the case this time round though. But who knows, only time will tell.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

I found out on Wednesday where I'm going next Monday. It sounds like a very interesting place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 BigElmo

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cramy

For anyone who has already been through the interview process, what was the approx timeline till you found out if you passed or failed? Then what was the timeline till you found out what dept. they are offering you?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 DonutLike

I had 8 days from interview to result. Then 20 days from result to placement, my result was just before Christmas though and that delayed placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MaryRyan48

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tanita

Hi everyone I had my interview last week and found it quite intense. Lots of quickfire questions, interruptions and not alot of time to talk about my examples. No idea how it went to be honest. Best of luck to everyone who has yet to interview and congrats to all who have it over with, it was an achievement to get this far 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sorigional

Hi Bride2beee, I had my interview last week and felt very much the same, probably even worse. I felt attacked and quite honestly undermined from the start. One of the board members was looking at the window for the whole entire time I presented. I brought a pen and paper with me to jot down Q's as I think better when I write, the Chair gave out to me and told me it wasn't allowed (I didn't see this in the guidelines). Everything threw me, and from the start I felt the tone was awful. I really feel like I didn't get a fair shot at it, at all. Some questions they asked I even wonder about the relevancy. On my education background, on my certificate, the Chair asked me 'did you just do that course because you didn't know what else to do?'. I felt completely insulted and uncomfortable throughout. I know I won't pass, I didn't get any opportunity to talk, I was constantly on the defense so I really feel they didn't get a true reflection of my ability. I won't appeal but I am seriously thinking of making a complaint about the board I had. Would love to hear if anyone else has experienced the same or similar. Pm if you would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Herewego22

Entitled to your opinion but I think it is unfair putting this up when people have yet to sit their interview. My board were encouraging and while the interview was difficult felt the questions tested my abilities to perform in this role. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

While I appreciate its a competition, I think its helpful to people (particularly those of us going through the process for the first time) to know that it can be tough and not all sunshine and flowers.

Good luck to everyone still awaiting interview. Anyone any idea when the results are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jammy2020

Fully agree with @Always number 1 people need to be prepared this sounds like my last experience in the previous competition. Hoping it works out better this time at least I feel I’m better prepared this time for this possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

Of course people need to be prepared but job interviews are never "sunshine and flowers" as suggested above, at least not in my experience. I've been reading this thread for tips and guidance but most of the comments so far re. the interview have been overwhelmingly negative. As someone who is extremely anxious about my own in two weeks time, I do not find comments like the above helpful in any way, all it does is make me more panicked and nervous. Maybe that's just me but I'd much rather hear about people who got on well, I guess they wouldn't be rushing to post about it though.🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DonutLike

I found my board very tough. One in particular I felt was very condescending and unimpressed, he was just awful. I was convinced I was out and was shocked with a top 5 result.

They are trying to fluster you, they need to see how you react under pressure. They cut you off and move when you’re halfway through an answer because they know you know the answer and they are trying to get the most out of you.

My advice is have plenty of water with you and use it as an opportunity to think. Take a breath before answering the quick fire questions and treat them as if they are your own senior management.

• Advertisement

Advertisement