Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Fabinho's challenge just shows how utterly slow he's become. I'm certain he didn't mean to catch Ferguson like that but his legs are so far gone now it's unbelievable. 100% a red. The referee was trolling us by not sending him off, as he'll now be available next week. He shouldn't even be in the squad. An utter liability.

As far Gomez.... fuhgedaboutit. Hopeless. Proves it every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

But the point people are making is there are better than what we have at the minute. Fab was dreadful again when he came on a should have seen red. Hendo was nearly just as bad! Until we can sign someone who can make a difference the best we can do is at least support the lads who are putting in an effort and not absolutely slate them after 10 minutes every game, you know like what actualll genuine fans do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Our 13/14 team to our 14/15 team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I didn't think we were that bad. We were relatively solid for large parts, midfield ticked along ok until 65 minutes. Once Thiago and Bajcetic came off we lost any control in there. We created chances and weren't far from creating another couple with a better final ball.

Bajcetic did well for an hour, as did Harvey, who looks far more effective in a more forward position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I want them to do well but there simply not good enough right now ,

We are in this position because we have a raft of midfielders who aren't good enough , it's OK to say that ,

They aren't the solution simply because there young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

That's a much fairer assessment than most on here and I agree with that. We were decent enough for the first half especially. Trent actually played well, didn't wander. But, like you say,once the midfield was tinkered with, we were dead. Elliot was far more effective in that forward position and covered back loads of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Good performance today, and yet we're the ones getting sucker punched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'm officially baffled by Fabinho.

He comes on the pitch, and in the space of about a minute, is caught 10-15 yards further forward than he needs to be twice in succession, eventually resulting the phase of play that he ended with a really poor tackle that he was lucky not to see red for.

That's not the actions of a player who's physically finished or mentally depleted, that's a guy being an idiot who doesn't understand his position. Why is he doing that? Why he is being an idiot?

If it's what he's told to do by Klopp and Ljinders wouldn't Bajcetic be doing the same sort of stuff? Cos he isn't doing that. Unless it was some master plan to win the game by having Fabinho utterly vacate his DM position and try and engage Brighton deep in their own half. Whole thing makes no sense.

Either way, can we not bring him off the bench again for a while?

Other than that the big problem in that game is we didn't create anything. We had Brighton pinned in their own half for a good portion of the 2nd half and did nothing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ok operation win a **** league game:

Who starts the next game? Assuming Jota and Bobby aren't back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Ali, Trent, Konate, Gomez, Robbo, Bajcetic, Thiago, Henderson, Elliot, Nunez, Salah

A few of those selections could be criticised, but I see little improvement from most alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Again no one is saying they're the final solution. But currently they are among the best options we have, absolutely no point in highlighting x is not good after after 10 minutes of every bloody game when there's absolutely no one else available to do a better job. Speaking for everyone in here it drives us all insane....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

February games

Could also get the Wolves or Chelsea game squeezed in since there is no need for the Cup replay date, could also use the 5th Round date for a game since all teams are out of the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

How did Evan Ferguson play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Was doing OK.. very good player. Really impressed with him. Unfortunately Fab injured him and shou6have been sent off 😕

For once though I think Ireland have a player of premiership quality.

Works so hard and can back it up with hiss ability too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Pure **** scutter.

Hendo and Fabinho need to **** off completely.

What was that defending for their winner. **** poxy.

• Advertisement

Henderson is a brave call. I'd consider anyone over sleepy Joe at this stage also.

This is the first time I've even contemplated this, and I only do so because no one at the club seems arsed, but if we lost the next two I think Klopp might walk.

I'm happy to give him a **** season and go again given all he has done for us. You just get the sense he is a beaten man at the moment. The senior players don't seem up for it either.

Would we have faired better if Hendo Cameron at 6 & Ox at RCM

He's never rebuilt one of his great sides time to see if he has it in him to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The less games we play in February the better, I'd rather leave those extra games until later in the season when we might have improved somewhat. We'll have plenty of free mid-week dates available as there's little to no chance of us getting past Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I am one who thought this was his last season. But I feel rather then beaten is very much peeved and this may drive him to do another season to shore up the team for the next manger. Of course this is if whoever owns the club by the end of the year want him and if they give him money to do as he wants

Is there any chance someone would take Fabinho on loan for the rest of the season, we could agree to pay his wages, just keep him away from the team for the rest of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Klopp says there will definitely be no signings and the squad is very happy.

He can't possibly be serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I don't believe him, but Klopp will always protect his players. He's publicly saying he backs them, but he might not be saying that privately to FSG.

For me, it's about whether he is in the mood for a rebuild. I suspect when he signed that he didn't realise how many senior players had fallen off a cliff.

I'd trust him, but it's whether he wants to bother. I'd understand if he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bajcetic was regularly pushing up as part of the midfield 3 when they were pressing hard. Especially second half. From when Hendo came on we seemed to press even more so Fab must have been told to be part of it as they felt they may have gotten some joy with it. Unfortunately for.him once they're passed him he doesn't have the legs to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Honestly, the tactics this year have, in many games, been inexplicable.

I have no idea what our style is, no idea how we score. If you actually pushed me on it id say we are a long ball team who hope for a mistake.

The way Elliot/Hendo are used in midfield makes no sense to me. It appears tactical, but only when those two are playing. And whatever it is, it's been a disaster

Someone needs to test Fabinho for long COVID.

Or else give him the 6 months paternity and come back in July for pre-season refreshed.

On a more serious note, all those muscle injuries in the last few years must have caught up with him. He got patched up to play the CL final last season and it may be the straw that broke the camels back.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I think big Virg is in the same boat as Fab..Hard to believe how we have ended up here.

The thing with VVD is that he will always be compared to his highest beak around 2018-2020 where he was very clearly the best defender in the world. Obviously age and injuries factor in and he would have to decline eventually but many people were writing him off last season as 'finished after the injury'. He was still the best CB in the league and was in the UEFA team of the season. Just because last season wasn't the same level as his peak doesn't mean that it was bad. And the same this season IMO. He would still start for every team in the league. An 'average' VVD is still one of the better CBs in the league.

Saying that a long term successor will need to be signed in summer 2024. 2023 is already taken up with midfielders. I think Konate has already forced his way to be first choice so I wouldn't really count him as the VVD successor, he's his own man now. We can't let the club dither for years with replacing idler players, like they have done with the midfield the last 2 summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Klopp is guilty of trying to do the same thing when it's not working with the players he has anymore.

But at the same time, he hasn't been given the tools to change personnel.

Only those old enough will get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

. didn't expect people to quote Wayne Rooney in this thread.

I hear ya but..

His slide isn't going to stop. It happens and unfortunately it is happening to him now.

Would he be better protected in a back 3 with trent and robbo playing further up we will never know but for me he is not close to good enough to be heading into next season.

I'm writing this season off btw

The Fabinho slump is the biggest thing that's killed us this season, and there's nothing that can change my mind.

That position is the cornerstone of any good team. Arsenal sorted it. Utd sorted it. Madrid beat us in the CL last year with it. City have had it for years. Spurs don't have an elite one. Chelsea don't either with no Kante.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Games in May may be moved for the coronation of the King so things will be tight around then to so the Premier League will fit things in when they can would be my guess

Looking back at the subs 3 on the 59th minute , makes me think Klopp wasn't that interested in the result today ,

Seems to me to be 3 pre planned subs , 3 pre planned subs would say you don't really care how the game is going your more interested in managing minutes

Next leauge games is absolutely massive for the manger & some of those players

Not far wrong & he's the only natural 6 out of all the senior players in the squad

The issue is he was so integral I can see Klopp being loyal & seeing can he refind his form next season , which if he doesn't will be a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

id go

ali

trent konate matip robertson

bajcetic

keita thiago

mo darwin gakpo/elliott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think there is any sign that Klopp will walk. He said as much himself a couple weeks ago. Only thing that could change his mind I reckon is if FSG don't back him in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They must be sure Bellingham will sign I reckon,the failed loan signing,lack of signing or attempting to sign a midfielder this window indicate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

To be honest, I can't blame some of the players. They should have had adequate replacement.

The spirit is willing but the body is spongy and bruised comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Bid for caicedo as he'll be needed for champs league against Madrid. Beat them and win it then with the players all back.

Then sign Bellingham in the summer and rebuild is complete.

Simple

Bellingham must be some player if they expect him to turn this team around and write off this season too! Can't see him signing for us myself, there are so many more attractive options for him than us, we have fallen a long way down the pecking order since last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

TBH I am fairly sick of the Bellingham talk at this stage. It seems to be a running theme throughout our season. I'd rather get 3-4 midfielders for the price Bellingham will cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How does a player like fabinho go from one of the best no.6 in the world to I don't want him near the team? It's ridiculous, he isn't even old just turned 29.

• Advertisement
Advertisement