Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young people with me/cfs meet up.

Options
  • 11-07-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of active support groups for people with ME in Ireland, so I was wondering if any ME sufferers in the Dublin areas want to go for a drink (or non alcoholic low intensity activity alternative :) maybe make it a semi regular thing depending on how people are feeling. I'm in my twenties and realised that i've literally never met another person with ME, so if anyone's interested post below or pm me. Tx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pebblet

Hi, My hubby has ME. There were meetings set up last year all right, but after a few sessions we realise what we need most is to meet people who have HAD ME and come out the other side. You can only read so much about it, it gets stale then and becomes no help. But if one could meet up with some who have put it behind them this would be such a boost. We're in our 40s but ME has no age barriers - in the group we had an 18 yr old student who was doing her best to see college through having been told by one of her secondary school teachers that she was only a lazy lump who'd never go anywhere. She found such relief that day in our group, meeting with people of all ages, that she broke down and cried. The next time we met her, that previous meeting really did help her a lot.
    For more information, contact: Irish ME/CFS Association, PO Box 3075, Dublin 2. Tel: (Dublin) 2350965. Email: info@irishmecfs.org (info @ irishmecfs.org). Website: www.irishmecfs.org

Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahvbrunelle

Hey there, did you find people with M.e to meet up with? I keep meaning to go back to the support group run by ass. mentioned above. I have found it hard to meet younger people with our condition too! Im in my thirties now, and balance it much better, its all about management! ...took me YEARS to realise that! Hope your relatively well, Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pebblet

No - never did - no one was interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

M.E is a very isolating illlness as we find even daily life enough to cope with. Meetings are too draining. Many of us have maybe one or two trusted contacts.

Your idea was really good; can it be adapted to eg email contact with more if individuals ask or can manage?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP have you seen the Phoenix Rising forum? A wide range of ages and excellent medical and other input from those with the illness and medics etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement