Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks does anyone know if these are likely to have a negative effect on range?

I'd seen reviews of some other ones on YouTube where they had tested them to see if they were more/less efficient than the Tesla covers.

They seemed to vary quite a bit with some being pretty much same as Tesla. Unfortunately most of the reviews are of US based ones which are hard to get here.

Some brands claim theirs are superior to Tesla for efficiency but I'd be skeptical.

Ideally would like to get some that are about equal to the Tesla ones while looking nicer.

The hypermiler in me does not like the idea of getting ones that are even slightly less efficient!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Last summer I took the covers off completely and the difference was not that bad. That was with the M3 18" and it actually looks a bit better than with covers on. My approach to accessories is lets see the car first. I have a screen protector bought from amazon US as my wife was afraid of glare and after nearly two years with the car I have not opened the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Here's a link to a review to what I think are those 19" wheel covers for the Model Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Zxw5OYt6k . In summary, they seem to give comparable range to the Tesla OEM 19" wheel covers although I wouldn't say his test is the most scientific but should give you an idea. I think it's worth it for the look alone compared with the Tesla wheel covers but also like the fact they cover the whole alloy and will protect from rim rash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks a million, that's perfect.

Probably not 100% scientific but look close enough to not worry about!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone waiting on RWD, here’s some commentary from the UK Group. Weather is comparable to ours so a bit more realistic compared to the Australian reviews.

*Photo are cropped to remove people’s names.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So roughly keeping to the Model 3 - 10% benchmark

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Very interesting,

I’ve an order in for both a RWD and Long Range (only buying one ..).

Still undecided as to which one to go for, the RWD will cover me for 90% of my usage and there are Superchargers on the longer trips I occasionally take. (I’ve had a RWD LFP Model 3 and it worked out fantastic to be honest, sold to a dealer a few weeks back).

Aiming to keep the car 5ish years so that’s swaying me towards the Long Range.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

2 main pros (more range, lots faster acceleraton), 2 main cons (much more expensive, no LiFePO4 batteries)

You don't really need the extra range most of the time, you probably don't care about the batteries (I do), you don't mind spending the extra money. So it boils down to you appreciating the extra acceleration and if that is worth the extra money. And make no mistake, the RWD is plain slow from a standstill, where the AWD is away proper fast with incredible traction

For some people it seems to be as simple as: ah sure I was going to spend that money anyway on a RWD, now I can get the AWD LR for the same, so might as well get that 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Nice summary, cheers, the extra power is grand, but I'm not too pushed on that.

The extra range would be beneficial I feel. There is one journey I make every six weeks and with the LR I would not need to charge for sure.

It looks like the LR has about 90km additional range give or take according to ev-database (I know speed, weather etc all have an impact here):

https://ev-database.org/car/1743/Tesla-Model-Y

It's an extra 7500~ for the LR.

Prior to the price drop the difference between the RWD and LR was 20k?!

LR is winning at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

2 main cons (much more expensive, no LiFePO4 batteries)

what battery does the MY LR have? And is it less preferable to the SR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

im getting the white interior on the RWD so cost to change up for me is about 6300. Coming from an id4 with 515km (stated) range is one of the cons I have had in the back of my mind since I ordered. And perhaps the only mild negative! I feel it’s a superior car in every other way.

I haven’t placed any deposit for a LR so even if I upgrade now I think I’ll have missed the boat (excuse the pun).

im hoping the better efficiency in the Y will leave me with very little difference from my current car. And the ability to charge the car 100% at work without trying to time it close to when I leave will be a serious plus.

the other gripe I would have with upgrading is no white interior. Just think it gives the inside a big lift. Hasn’t been on any test car I’ve driven though.

Extra acceleration and range would be lovely but I’ve a few other projects around the house this year to get done so money could be better spent.

To sum up I think I’m at peace with my decision and can’t wait now 👍.

any significant delay beyond march and I’m at risk of divorce 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Apologies if I am asking a question that has been asked a thousand times - suspect I am, but I have no idea how to use search these days.

I am toying with buying a new Long Range Model Y. But I am struggling to make head nor tail of what it actually costs. I can't believe that I am asking this so openly as I suspect I am missing something fairly obvious.

When pricing up the Long Range model, the SEAI grant line appears to disappear if you make any changes to the colour and wheels.

I swapped my RWD to a LR order.

1. I’m coming from an M3P and faster versions before that.
    2. I wanted the extra performance.
    3. The extra range when needed is a bonus but I don’t need it 99% of the time.
    4. AWD handling i like, if a little sterile.
    5. The option to add Acceleration Boost if I want.
    6. I was spending that on a RWD anyway. The one hesitation I had on the RWD was the performance.

So as Unkel says, it’s really a personal thing. There’s no right or wrong. Similar to colour. I swapped from grey back to white. You pick what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I think the long range only qualifies for grant if no extras are ticked, add a paint colour that's not included and price creeps above 60k.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

SEAI grant is limited to (I think) 60k, so with the extras yours goes over that so you don't get the grant

It’s €53,940 in white or black.

Add an extra and you go over the grant limit so it’s then €61k plus.

I am completely new to the topic so expecting to be schooled somewhat. Desperately hoping that I am right though as I will only buy one if I can get the spec that I want for 5k less :P

Looking a the breakdown. Both 'Vehicle Subtotal' figures are below 60k. And the 'VRT' figure is 13.28% of the 'Vehicle Subtotal' figure for both specs.

Makes me think that is an issue with the with the website. Edit: same thing happens with the model 3. Wondering if there is a basic calculation in there that caps the grant availability for cars costing 55k - which is 60k minus the 5k. A Long Range Model Y with custom paint comes in at 55,090 and is also missing the SEAI grant.

Only the white one in your examples gets the grant. It’s €53,940 to buy.

In the first one you’ve added MSM and 20” wheels. No Grant. It’s €62,703 to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Has to be under 60K including VRT and delivery to get the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

VRT is payable on all cars and on Tesla it presents this as a seperate item. If you add all items toether and it is below 60K the SEAI grant of 5K is applicable. If not there is no Grant. Both the Tesla website and the examples you have given are accurate. As @Gumbo has said you can get a Black or White Model Y LR and qualify for the grant. Any other combination, be it colour, tyre or white interior will not be grant eligible . Its as simple as that!

• Advertisement

That is my understanding also.

What I am struggling to understand is why adding 3.5k in extras - bringing the car cost to 57.3k, invalidates a grant intended for cars that cost less than 60k?

That is, even a colour change that is just 1.2k of cost, and brings the car base price to €55,090, causes the final price to jump from €53,940 to €60,230.

Is it me or does that not make sense, i.e. they are using the wrong figure to determine the cut off point?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

You have not incorporated VRT in your logic .... Most basic Mod Y LR (Black or White is €58,940 before any extras. Add anything to this spec and you go above 60K and disqualify yourself from SEAI GRANT

Your using the wrong figure in your assumptions and calculations.

I think I have. Which is what is causing my confusion.

"Looking a the breakdown. Both 'Vehicle Subtotal' figures are below 60k. And the 'VRT' figure is 13.28% of the 'Vehicle Subtotal' figure for both specs."

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Hi Folks,

I’ve a test drive for a Model Y on Friday morning. I understand that I will have the car for approx. 30 minutes. I’m not overly familiar with Dublin these days and was wondering if anyone has a good test route to take to get a good overall feel for the car? I’m conscience about the ride in the Model Y being on the hard side – so I want to test that also i.e., not just test it on the M50 smooth surface, I want to see how it handles poorly surfaced Irish back roads. I live in rural Ireland, so how it handles poor road surfaces will matter for me!

Is there a significant difference between the suspension setup for the MY standard range vs MY Long range?

Also, I’ve a solar PV system installed, so hopefully that will help with charging the car (especially during the summer). One question that I have in relation to this setup – with daily charges for approx. 10 to 30KWH (depending on what the sun is doing) at slow rates – 1.2 to 5KWH…. Would this type of charging cause any harm to the longevity of the battery in the long run?

Last point – I have not yet placed an order; do I have any chance in getting a car by July 2023!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Interested in the answer to this question also!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭CBD2

Head southbound on M50 to J15 and follow signs for kilternan, then Stepaside and back to Sandyford. That should give you a feel for it on country roads. It's the route I did and it handled it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

You say you are rural, would a test drive at Cork be convenient?

A lot quieter there, I got well over an hour when I tested the Model 3 last year and could have stayed out longer due to no other tests booked that morning. Gave me plenty of time to test the car on very poor roads around the back of the airport, down to Kinsale on normal rural roads and a bit of higher speeds.

Not sure which Y they have atm, previously was only the LR.

Advertisement