Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

He is not entitled to the dole or sick pay either if he is standing outside all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You and I may class Burke as a weird guy.

But he is staunch in his religious beliefs so much so they become part of his identity. You could argue that Burke never asked to have to be put into a position where he has to go out his way to use a different gender pronoun when addressing a transgender student.

Because fundamentally given his religious beliefs he believes that there are only two genders. Which are biologically male and female. To say otherwise ie using the pronoun 'they' is going against his beliefs.

Of course he could pretend and address such individuals as 'they' or even use the person's surname. But Burke obviously feels to do so would be avoiding the issue and/or not true to his beliefs. Because he views this as a chance to make a point.

You say the teenager has not asked for any of this rubbish. Yes and no. Burke creating a fuss and the dragging the media attention into it must be an extremely pressurised situation.

But I assume the Teenager asked the Principal that henceforth they want to use the pronoun 'they'. And the Principal obliged and issued the formal pronoun dictate to the members of staff. To which Burke objected at a Public event.

If the principal never issued this dictate formally and just quietly made allowances for the student unofficially. Perhaps this furore could have been avoided. As I assume the student in question studies neither German or History.

Objectively, I see it as the Principal going against the Church of Ireland ethos of the Wilson Hospital School. An ethos which previously Burke obviously thought was close to his own beliefs.

The only thing Burke has done wrong thus far is ignoring court injunctions to stay away as he has been suspended on full pay. However, Burke views his suspension as contrary to his right of Freedom of Religion under A44 of the Constitution. Those are the facts of it as I understand it

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Only being transgender is not something someone is indoctrinated into. It's something they already are.

Of course it is. As a person with no dog in the fight. Neither religious nor part of the transgender community I find the whole debate fascinating.

Especially, from a legal standpoint where there are conflicting rights. That is why I am following this thread. I want to see how it plays out. And if it will have any impact on future Jurisprudence, religious ethos of Irish schools etc regarding, transgenderism, discrimination, identity and so on. And how the religious bodies who are patrons of those schools react to it etc

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Plenty of people - myself included - not involved in the whole 'trendy woke brigade'. I generally don't care either way.

I applaud the disrespect towards this family, as most who know them do. They are vile, ignorant and self-serving ***** with absolutely no regard for anyone who disagrees with them. Same with people who do.

They hide behind their 'beliefs' when it suits them, allowing their 'beliefs' to cover up their outrageous behaviour.

Anyone who actually knows this family first hand - and still supports them - is an imbecile. Vile would be too good an adjective for this clan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well actually Enoch is still the oldest living person. According to the bible he didn't die. He went straight from earth to heaven without death in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What specific part of the Church of Ireland ethos does the pronoun policy conflict with?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Well, as to things he has done wrong, you missed the one that started everything. The verbal assault and physical intimidation of the principal. Which is what he was suspended and then fired for. I'm not quite sure how given the facts that could be reasonably bent to fall under a violation of his Freedom of Religion. Unless being able to be abusive is a core tenant of his religion. If it is I haven't seen anything about it, though given his behavior and the behavior of his family it wouldn't actually surprise me.

Now he did have the opportunity to make it about his religious beliefs. But instead he chose to try and bully the principal into doing what he wanted, and then act shocked that there could be any consequences for his actions.

He is of course also no longer suspended. He has been fired. He is no longer employed by the school that he continues to attend in violation of a court order.

And while you see it as the principal of the school going against the CoI, I would imagine that if the CoI did they would have made it known by now. I haven't heard anything about it if they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Good post. I also applaud the disrespect towards him and the family, and also to the people who support them.

They are the laughing stock of the country and Ireland's embarrassment in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

An ethos which previously Burke obviously thought was close to his own beliefs.

From what we know about the Burkes, the CoI ethos is a million miles from theirs. He knew this when taking the job.

Putting up with things you may not like or agree with is part and parcel of being an employee.

If he felt his religious freedom was under threat, then a complaint to the board of the school or the WRC was the correct course of action.

The "only thing he did wrong" was literally everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The school community generally; teachers, board, principals see no way in which this goes against the school ethos. Why are they all wrong?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree - it is a telling case and if Burke keeps pursuing it with the same vigour that he's shown to date, it could yet shape the role of religious control and ethos in our schools. Too many here caught up in the silly little details and fail to see the overall picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is the 'binary' aspect of it, apparently. If you're a decent tolerant person, you're woke. And if you're not...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

The overall picture is that a teacher got fired for bullying his boss. He might have had an opportunity to make it about something else, but when he decided to be a bully instead that's what it became about. Pretending like it is about something else won't make it so.

The "overall picture" isnt what you think it is

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I read somewhere last week that "contempt of Court" fines are treated differently to a normal Court fine, in that it can be up to a year before payment is enforced.

So this one could run and run , depending I suppose on the outcome of some of the appeals and applications yet yo be heard.

Enoch could be €250,000 in hock before any money falls due for payment...

• Enoch has been fined €2,100 so far anyway.

€2,800 tomorrow & he’ll be €7,000 by Friday! sure who wants a house anyway. Better to use your savings to pay fines so you can stand outside a school you were sacked from. 😂

fools and their money.

They need to update their website on ethos on their website in that case. As on it states -

‘Faithful to the Last Will and Testament of Andrew Wilson, made in 1724, Wilson’s Hospital School maintains a distinctive Church of Ireland ethos, fostering Christian practice and teaching, promoting dignity and respect for the individual and constantly committed to the provision of a caring family atmosphere’

It continues -

‘We are proud of our Church of Ireland heritage. Students of all faiths are welcome, providing there is an acceptance of our ethos.’

As as the Church of Ireland Commission teaches that there are only two genders. This appears to be incongruous to the current situation?

Maybe what we have here is a school Wilson Hospital School with a CofI Ethos as a veneer? Not strictly practiced? Or religious norms within the school altered by lay employees and administrators? And the vast majority are ambivalent about it all.

• You cannot deny admission or expel a student based on their gender or sexual orientation. This is irrespective of religion and legislated by the Equal Status Act.

In this case the religious affiliation is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

There was never any mention of not teaching the student in question. Nor refusing the student entry. The issue was/is the staff were requested to use the ‘they’ pronoun when addressing the student instead of the previous him/her.

This is Burke’s issue as it impinges upon his beliefs.

Perhaps the principal should have stated where possible? And if the member of staff feels comfortable in their own conscience to do so.

But if a member of staff feels uncomfortable doing so.

In such a case avoid use of pronouns and use surname as a compromise for such individual(s) etc.

promoting dignity and respect for the individual 

You seem to be missing an important point from the above

WHS has clear policies. Its anti bullying policies and admissions policies are trans inclusive.

rv68-whsantibullyingpolicy2022.pdf (wilsonshospitalschool.ie)

gq26-2023_Admissions_Policy_Wilsons_Hospital_School.pdf (wilsonshospitalschool.ie)

Why is respecting a trans students request and supporting a trans student considered anti christian? Surely not supporting the student, not respecting the students wishes is lacking all Christian compassion. My trans friend went to an all girls convent. He was accepted by the Nuns when he came out as trans at 16. Its called compassionate Christianity.

Terry Pratchet

Has no bearing on why EB is in the pickle he's in

That is generally well being and so on. But you miss the key point the CofI teaches there are two biological genders male and female. So it is incongruous. You seem to ignore the religious doctrine.

In fairness there has been moves to change it. But the CofI communication office double down on the teachings. After a CofI commission/debate claimed the contrary

‘However, the church’s central communications office has contradicted the commission, saying traditional church doctrine recognising only male and female people remains unchanged.’

-

The way I see it Wilson Hospital either follows the teachings of Cofl or is not a de facto Church of Ireland school. It is then an a la carte school with only bits of CofI teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think the essential truth behind this saga is that the school/ now departed school principal made a balls up of how they handled this at the start. There was no need at all to put anyone like Burke into a corner of this nature. All could have co-existed. Often diplomacy means finding acceptable ways for people of different views, to work together. The school misjudged this imho and delivered a cause celebre when there was no need to.

Agreed principal could have made it vague with caveats - conscience of each staff member etc.

And instead yer man Burke is milking the situation for all it’s worth. The principal should have known what Burke is like and covered himself.

Of course it does, he literally states it is against the scriptures, his religion and the CofI ethos of the school. He said that way back at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The school got it totally right once things went south. You can't legislate for an idiot who is seemingly willing to spend a lifetime in prison to disobey a court order. The family are well known and everyone knows what they are. The school probably decided to take a chance despite knowing the families history. I think that was the mistake. A good bit of research would have left you with the understanding of not touching them with a bargepole.

No.

They could not have all "co-existed", because Burke was demanding that NO one on the staff should recognise or call the student by their preferred name or gender neutral pronouns, not just him.

"Co-existing" was not good enough for Enoch.

This also isn't about forcing anyone to recognise more than two genders. Using gender neutral pronouns does not do this, as they do not identify either / any gender.

But sure, you keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

We know you think that, because I believe you don't disagree with Burke. You have defended him to the hilt in this thread.

As for no mention of not teaching the teen, I imagine if the school refused to use the correct pronouns, that would be "constructively dismissing" the child, as they wouldn't feel comfortable in the school and could sue for inequality.

Advertisement