Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5, Jan 29 2023

Options
  • 21-11-2022 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

From the Raheny website:

Raheny Shamrock Athletic Club are delighted to announce the 39th AXA Raheny 5 will take place on Sunday January 29th 2023 at 3pm.

The famous Raheny 5 returns to the streets of Raheny firmly set as the number one road race in Ireland.

“It is always with great excitement when we open the entries for the AXA Raheny 5 and we’ve already being working to make the 2023 event the best yet”. said race director Dave Hooper.

“Many thanks to our sponsors AXA Insurance for their continued support and loyalty. We’ve been working hard over the last few weeks to continue the success of the Raheny 5, espically after the sell out of 2022. We look forward to welcoming everyone back to Raheny on the last Sunday in January” added Hooper.

The famous race is set for its traditional 3pm start with the juvenile race undercard set to begin one hour before the main race.

You can enter the 39th AXA Raheny 5 here:

http://raheny5.ie

Terms and conditions apply.

N.B. Juvenile race entries will open later.

Post edited by Murph_D on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Signed up this morning. My favourite race of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Signed up with the younger Son over xmas. This will be his first Raheny 5, my 10th.

He has beaten me over 5K a couple of times last year (20 / 30 sec), but this being my favored race of the year, coupled with the slightly longer 5 mile may swing it in my direction. No idea ???

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

Heading up to this on Sunday for the first time.

Wondering where is the best place to get parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

2 car parks in St Annes Park, 3 in the Village - SuperValu, Church and at the shops opposite the church. Also plenty of estates around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Haven’t signed up but tempted today . Do numbers get posted or am I too late ?

• Advertisement

Number have been posted, but if you sign up you can still collect the number in Race HQ before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks - would you have to be there a long time before the start of the race ?

Depends on how long you want for a warmup?

Also worth mentioning due to the relatively narrow start corral and large number of runners, the call to start can be a little bit longer than other races you may have competed in...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Conjack76

Is there a bag drop area?

There is a baggage drop off available at Scoil Aine.

There is a Q&A on the RS Website for all race related stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Conjack76

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Race FAQ here: http://raheny5.ie/#faq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Signed up on a whim there.

I've heard good things about it as an event, and haven't run a race since the 2018 marathon, so wanna fix that.

It won't be a pretty performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

4.700 entries as of Jan 23rd .........lots of people to get into that start area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Surprised it was possible to pick up an entry so late, would have assumed a sell out.

Can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Fair play to them, anyone who wants to run always gets a bib.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

FYI there may be congestion around Clontarf due to ongoing roadworks so give yourself time to get over if driving

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/active-travel/active-travel-projects/clontarf-city-centre-project/traffic-management-during-construction-works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Lots of bib numbers not showing up in the results, looks like a bad batch of timing chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Anyone else think they got the distance wrong again? Strava says it was 5.24 miles on my phone, apple watch said 8.15km(which tends to be very accurate).

I saw a lot of times on Twitter with the distance and they were all over the distance too.

how hard can it be to get the distance right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No. GPS is not accurate enough, and will almost always over-read. 8.15k is well within the margin of error for GPS, without even considering whether you actually ran the racing line

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

It definitely wasn’t wrong. My watch clocked 8.11km. Remember 5 miles is 8.05km so 60 metres extra is pretty accurate given all the turns on the course. The watch is always going to show a small bit more due to not taking the perfect racing line. I’d say it was checked 10 times this year after what happened last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Big field led to a lot of zig zagging over the 1st 2miles for me, trying to find some space. Fully expected it to measure a bit long on my watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭formerrunner25

Loved this race! GPS was showing 8.03 for me so almost perfect race line.

usual carnage at the start. The issue over first 2km is generally people too far up the starting area.

very well organised and enjoyable with great support on course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Managed to spot myself here, from the final vantage point. Visual confirmation that I have work to do!

About 3 minutes off my PB, but I've not been at much over the last 18 months, so I'm really happy with the result I got, it was slightly better than I expected.

8.16km was the distance on my Garmin. But I was a decent distance away from a true racing line.

Great event, standard congestion for the first 1km or 2km, but didn't do me too much damage, and I tried ensure I didn't do anyone damage in turn.

Serious goodie bag, fair play to the organisers.

Post edited by FortuneChip on

• A lot of that time could've been weaving. I know I started at the very back because I got caught up in traffic and it was a complete disaster. Still loved the race, great goodie bag and this year the volunteers were really vocal. Brilliant bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

Well done everyone yesterday, looked like about 3,700 finishers. always plenty no-shows as there’s no sellout number (apparently Pat Hooper used to joke that he’d gladly take your money at 3:15 😀).

standard congestion at the start, it’s probably harder in a 5mile to get slower runners to know their finishing times, but for sure there were plenty runners at the very front who get run over in that open km - also not helped by the usual few neighbours who won’t move their cars off the road.

I checked some of the Strava distances for lads who were well within the top 50 finishers and all seemed to measure around 8.13/15, same as me, so I’m not sure it’s congestion related. Indeed I couldn’t find one runner with anything close to 8.05. As others have said, 80-100m is within 1% margin of error, and there was some woodland around mile 4 where I know my watch pace was miles off.

a PB and sets things up nicely for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Amazing race, lots of people, good atmosphere, well organised.

We made a big effort to get the cars off the road, people with no driveways moved their to roads that weren't part of the course. Unfortunately they were replaced with cars belonging to people participating or supporting the race. We'd three cars outside our house where we normally park, one with the engine idling for over an hour.

(speaking as resident, nothing to do with the event)

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Such a great atmosphere of a race - seriously if you haven't run it before you should give it a go!! Plenty of supportive marshals out on course, didn't feel to me like there were as many spectators even though the weather was good. I was barely able to carry the goody bag after 😋 (which my son commandeered when I got home!).

I do think it felt very congested for most of the route. I've ran it 5 times so I know what to expect in the first few km. I'd never been accidently elbowed or done it myself or clipped people's heels as much (sorry!!). I do get that the start area is probably part of the atmosphere of the event but it's very hard to place yourself. I'm just over 5 foot so I can't really see over the crowds and had no idea if I was too far forward, too far back or just right. I do think they should have markers or signs up to allow people to place themselves a bit better. Naturally you will have people not knowing where to start or being too optimistic but it might just make it a bit easier. But again sure that's part of the appeal of this race is the craziness of it all!!

Be back again next year! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kd82

Really enjoyed yesterday's event. They really do create a great atmosphere and being able to hear the commentary as you leave the park for the finish really gives a great finish buzz. "Anyone on the home straight now has a chance of making..." , that was the motivation I needed at the last bend to get the time I wanted. Well done Raheny Shamrocks. The goodie bag was scoffed on the way home.

Advertisement