Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrub Identification and Treatment Assistance

Options
  • 14-01-2023 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Very much novice gardener here so patience appreciated 😀

We have a shrub that's showing lots of signs of decay / withering. I've attached two photos and it's pretty clear that the deterioration is quite advanced. This is obvious from the amount of brown growth in the middle of the shrub and also from the fact that the withering is causing the shrub to become a lot smaller than its natural size (based on its current root structure) due to the impact of the problem. We're also trying to identify the plant. Two plant identification apps have reported it as a Yew (one app) and Rosemary (the other) but I'm not confident in that analysis.

So two areas where I hope the knowledgeable folks here here can help me:

1: Based on the photos, what is the name of the shrub?

2: What is the best way to repair the damage / revitalise the plant? Or is it beyond repair? It can be seen that the plant has a couple of roses closeby. Maybe the bed is too densely planted?

Thanks in advance Boardsies for your input!

super_freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I recognise it but the name is not coming to me, it could be juniper. Whatever it is its looking elderly and may be reacting to a lifetime of being cut back. Is the dead section in any way separate from the rest of the bush? And it is dead, you will not rescue that part. The rest of it may last a bit longer though. You could cut out the dead branch, as far down as you can. I think I'd be looking at replacing it.

See what other posters say though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is it spikey and does it have yellow flowers? Just trying to rule out the obvious here, Gorse?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Gorse is flowering here at the moment. There are less spiky relatives of gorse sold as garden shrubs such as this one that might be another possibility. A close up of the leaves and information about any flowers would help with an ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm fairly sure you can see the flower buds in the second picture.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A Genista of some sort. You can cut out dead wood but it won't bud or regenerate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I am trying to identify a bush that has red berries very similar to a mountain ash.

Lovely shrub.

I got a few berries in the autumn, a few 9f them might grow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Hi All,

Apologies for going dark on this thread. I thought I had enabled email notifications but obviously note ... duh.

Anyway, to answer the questions:

@looksee Thanks. The dead section is not separate from the rest of the bush. The entire (or most of the) "under the surface i.e. not directly exposed to sunlight" part of the shrub is brown and the entire "at the surface / exposed to sunlight" is green. Now, obviously at the side, the decay has extended to the surface of the shrub, resulting causing that part to die completely but there is no section separate from the main section.

@The Continental Op Thanks. Yes, it is spikey and has yellow flowers (though no flowers at the moment).

@macraignil Thanks. Yellow flowers. Pic 2 is pretty high resolution so if you zoom in, you will see pretty good detail of what the shrub looks like but can add another couple of photos if that would be helpful.

@Jim_Hodge Thanks. It wouldn't really be possible to cut out the dead wood because most of the wood is brown underneath but green at the top. If I cut out all of the shrub that had a brown piece underneath, I would be removing the shrub.

@tv3tg4 Thanks. It doesn't have red berries but does have yellow flowers (though not currently). Apologies if picture is unclear.

@billyhead Thanks Do you think it could be Pyracantha based on responses above?

Thanks everybody for your help, hopefully some more comments and exchanges can at least get to the bottom of what it is and maybe even help with some kind of plan on next steps!

super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

The reply I already posted included a link to a type of Genista and Jim_Hodge also thinks it looks like a type of Genista so I'm going to stick with that being the most likely plant ID as it does have yellow flowers and spiky leaves as you said. Some shrubs just don't look great when they get older and in the wider angle photo it does seem a bit big for where it is. If it was my garden I'd be inclined to dig it out and plant another shrub that might fit the setting better and maybe one that can be kept to a size your comfortable with more easily.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Was waiting for op to respond to continental as it looked like gorse to me too. Genista hispanica isn't spiny and doesn't form flowers like in the pic though it was certainly a possibility.

Anyway op I'd just cut it back hard, if it regenerates well and good and if not just replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think it is gorse, genista is a much more likely answer, especially given that it has yellow flowers. The brooms are not usually long lived, if you get 7 or 8 years out of one that's about average, I'd suggest you replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It is genista and past it's sell by date due to not being pruned properly over the years. If the dead wood can't be removed without leaving a pathetic looking bush, just get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Thanks all!

Majority consensus seems to be that it's Genista and that on balance it's probably best removed.

Appreciate your help and comments,

super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Some closer pics of the stems and spines would help if you want to be definitive

Advertisement