Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

While it was better it's still nowhere near where it should be. Kildare got some easy scores today and I think we are still struggling to force teams to shoot from tougher positions.

On the attacking front it was more of the same from a Dessie team. Played in fits and starts with no real cohesion.

First game out and all that so let's see where we go from here but I've no faith in Dessie.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fits and starts is a good way putting it. When a Dessie Dublin is better it’s grand for about 10 minutes fellas breaking with pace giving options. Quick Diagonal passes stretching the opponents.

Like the first few minutes of the second half yesterday.

But then the bad part is when capable of brutal silly play like v Armagh in the NFL last year. There was worrying flashes of that yesterday as well.

Shooting still hit and miss- wrong options. Makes the Gavin Dublin percentage no risk shooting seem like a dream.

This Dublin team is not settled at all four years into Dessie’s reign you would think they would be.

Dessie got a C- last year as far as I was concerned. Brutal league. But somehow got to an AI SF which I expected them to lose by more.

The only reason Dessie is still in the job is because there is no standout candidate. To me Dessie is just minding the house for the time being.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah I agree that positionally we could have been better but I'm taking that with a pinch salt as it was the first game back. The appetite to get hands on the man in possession was key for me because it was such an obvious failing last year. We were miles better at that last night. For every chance we gave up we must have forced 2 or 3 turnovers. And force is the word. We even threw in the filthy cynicism, fouling when we lost possession in attack and rotated taking the yellow cards. Again, something Kerry gave us a lesson in last year.

For me this is the key to winning titles. Tyrone 2021 and Kerry 2022 were the best defensive teams imo or maybe placed the greatest emphasis on defence is most accurate. We were never short in that area during the 6 in a row era either. It's what wins games these days. We have to match that now.

Yeah, the cute fouls in the opposition half to stop the quick break was sorely missed last year and something we do need to get clever at.

As I said, it's the first game out so bound to be a lot of rust to shake off. I still don't understand our tactics at times, it seems to change like the weather. We are a better team playing quick ball yet even yesterday that doubt in the players heads to fully commit to it is obvious.

The frustrating part for me is that for brief flashes we look like a team and then for no reason whatsoever we go back to looking like 15 lads who never played together. It's very strange if I'm being honest and I still don't think the players are buying what Dessie is trying to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Never had a problem with Dessie being manager myself. It was always going to be a big challenge taking over from Jim Gavin.

Only for Con's absense last year we would probably have won the All Ireland.

Fair play to Dessie for bringing that wise old head Pat Gilroy on board this year. I doubt Gilroy is there to put the cones out.

Dessie didn't kick all those stupid wides last night. Only so much a manager can do.

I expect Dublin to win the All Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,072 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would anyone hear be able to make an educated guess as to how many will be heading down to Limerick next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

They should win the division handy enough if they're getting an extra point for a win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

bonus point for kicking 20 wides in a 2nd half 😛 , they will make up for it in 3 weeks tie against us 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would expect a small enough crowd a couple of thousand at best . The crowd the other night wasn't that much so only the diehards out of that will travel I reckon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,072 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If there was ever a match not worth traveling to in a sporting sense this is it from a Dublin point of view.

Would be nice to see a good crowd of ye round the city for the bank holiday Sunday all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The cost factor along with being able to watch on line or the telly would be a factor as well .The interest has slipped back a bit in general I think also maybe some might go because they haven't seen Dublin play in that ground if they are only football fans .

That was a pretty abysmal showing from Limerick up in Derry on Saturday. Great achievement to get promted to the 2nd tier but if Saturday is anything to go by it's going to be a long and tough campaign for Limerick before they drop back down to Div 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Won't be many. 17k was a very disappointing crowd for Kildare game considering our first competitive game in 6 months and no juvenile games were scheduled for Saturday. I don't think Sunday game is been televised?

Yes Dessie backroom team is behind Jim in terms of tactics but he has a impossible task of rebuilding after the 5 in a row team. He won Sam in his first year, I don't get this crap he won a soft AI crap. Dessie minor teams from 2011 and 2012 were the spine for our AI 6 in a row success. He also won a u21 AI in 2017 which produced Comerford, Murchan, Howard and Con.

The players coming through the system are nowhere the quality of Dessie minor teams. We had no AI at underage success since the change of minor to u17 and u20s. A lot players that shined for Dublin at u20 are not standing out a club level. This is a huge issue for Dessie.

Dessie had tried to bring a direct style as the slow possession game initiated in 2017 opposition teams have copped on to. We struggled in league last year as no Con. When the ground got hard the gameplan was working prior to kerry game but we lacked a presence inside without Con and they were able to double mark Kilkenny . The game changed went Kilkenny went to CF. If we have Kilkenny at 11 and Con 14 we are a match for anyone.

The priorities from league.

1.Promotion.

2.Two corner backs and a proper defensive structure.

3.Midfield partner for Fenton. POCB and Lahiff are not the answer.

4.Another ball winning at 14 so we can keep Kilkenny at 11 if Con is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Another priority is for Mannion and McCaffrey to rediscover Inter County sharpness. Where was McCaffrey on Saturday? Is he not training away at the moment?

I would say Jack is training away in the background. I say will see towards end of league. I would let him play away with Clontarf and bring him back for Clare game.

Mannion has only trained 30 minutes in last four months due to operation. Again end of league for him. Wouldn't be worried about rediscovering as playing club football for last 3 years where as McCaffrey hasn't played anything.

We definitely missed Con last year but that glosses over the awful tactics deployed in the league last year. Quick direct ball into the forwards was madness considering we played in some horrendous weather in those games. It made us look a lot worse than we should have. We also developed a terrible habit of playing the ball into the corners and having no clue what to do with it from there, leading to low percentage plays.

Jack played in that North v South game a few weeks back at the sports campus and played well too. He'll need a couple of games to get up to the pitch of IC before championship but he'll be fine.

Was at the games and he looked sharp but the standard of them games weren't great.

• Advertisement

Just copped on Hurling and Football fixtures for Dublin Clash on the 5th of February.

Allianz Football League Roinn 2

Limerick v Dublin Football match won't seem to be televised from the Gaelic Grounds.

Allianz HL Division 1 Group B round 1

Waterford v Dublin, Fraher Field, 2.30pm Live on TG4 app and deferred on TG4 at 5:35pm

--

To be honest that annoys me I would like to see both - but would prefer the hurling one if I had a choice. I assume the footballers will give Limerick a hiding and it could be over as a contest fairly quickly.

But still still my choice is now being limited because of fixture clashes

Why do the GAA set up fixture clashes like that? Fecking eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was even surprised the game last Saturday was televised. When the last time a D2 match was televised normally on D1 matches.

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah I was as well to be honest. I noticed the match away at Derry will be televised as well, RTE I think.

I assume the broadcasters believe that the population of Dublin mean big viewing figures, and 'the neutrals' would also be interested in having look as Dublin are the team many from other counties love to hate.

A couple of Mayo games were televised when they got relegated a couple of years ago.

They'll just show whatever will draw tye viewers, regardless of division. And dubs and Mayo are huge draws.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Glen v Crokes game has to be played again, unless Crokes appeal the decision, but I don't think that they'll succeed.

TG4 this weekend

Sat

Wexford v Galway hurling live

Sun

Kerry v Monaghan live

Armagh v Mayo live

Waterford v Dublin deferred

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

I can see that back firing on Glen in the sense that by the time the replay comes around Paul Mannion will likely actually be up to speed and then they will have to deal with him as well as Shane Walsh. Could see the game getting pretty tasty to say the least as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think Shane Walsh is in Australia on holidays

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭eire4

Fair enough I have no idea. Might not be the only player missing so that made other plans after the original final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Any ideas where game traffic will be directed to park down in Limerick tomorrow. Will have a few kids under 8 so prefer not miles of a walk.

Advertisement