Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DRedSky

Article in a newspaper today which i won’t post a link to for personal reasons (Liverpool supporter) but interesting snippet here:

And according to MyHome.ie statistics released to the (newspaper name), the homes taking longest to sell are in rural West Cork which take longer than a year to find a buyer.

While house prices have reached a record high in Ireland – at €359,000 up an astonishing 130 per cent in a decade – they are finally beginning to stabilise after years of record growth, with experts citing soaring mortgage costs as a big reason.

Karl Deeter from yes.ie said that as mortgage interest rates continue to rise and demand falls, house prices will have to adjust.

He told us: “Demand for homes is definitely down, in the last quarter of 2022 there would have been a 25 per cent drop in mortgage applications apart from switching.

“And there are no real safe havens for mortgages, Bank of Ireland jacked their rates up recently and we know there are more hikes coming to keep up with Europe.

“So it’s no surprise that house prices are moving accordingly.”

Darragh Cassidy from Bonkers.ie added: "Not so long ago, it was possible to get a fixed rate of just 1.90 per cent.

"By this time next year the cheapest rate is likely to be over 4 per cent. It’s a big turnaround in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And you still have posters saying prices will go up. Banks will not lend as much with the rates doubling, it takes a while for rates to effect the market but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

This!

You just have to look at the other markets to see the effect of an increase in rates as had (and how we have been relatively unaffected thus far due to the banks absorbing a lot of the rise for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

No arguments here, but what about the sky-high demand? The state brought in about 90k refugees last years, in addition to whatever other immigration may have taken place. Probably, the same will happen this year. Granted, refugees will not be buying property themselves, but their presence here is still a demand for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Villa05

These 63 houses featured on today with pat Kenny are still empty, ready for occupation from the day purchased.

Originally built as a retirement village, council are saying usage cannot change from original planning.

• Advertisement

Rate rises reduce overall economic activity not just housing. Finance for start ups, less jobs lead to emigration.

Look at this, rates have an effect it just takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭DataDude

Ireland is different because were previously constrained in what they lent by the LTI limits, not their own internal risk tolerances.

All things being equal interest rates up = amount they’ll lend down. But the artificial limits in Ireland which has now been raised makes it less obvious what will happen.

The BPFI data in February/March time will very quickly show if average loan to income multiples jump up due to rule change, or drift down due to interest rates.

Worth noting average loan approval values for FTBs jumped nearly 3% in November (when interest rate rises were very much known) back to near their all time highs after dropping a bit from the summer peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I do not see many posters saying that prices will go up. Rather many of us cannot see a house price collapse. It's interesting to ask anyone saying there will be a collapse to quantify what they predict.

Early last year I was predicting a 10% reduction towards the end of '22 running into 2023. I see no reason to change that prediction.

However there is little advantage in waiting for such an increase. Take some o e buying a 450k house with a 400k mortgage. Great you say they will save 45k over the peak last year if it happens.

However last year they could have borrowed 400k at 2.2%, on a 5 year loan, by this summer the same loan will be over 3.5% at a guess so they could be paying 1.5% higher rate. Over 5years on 355k ( loan less the 10% savings) they will pay 26k in extra interest and then you can add another years plus in rental costs. You can also factor in human nature and if prices are falling people will hesitate to buy as they think prices will fall further. It's often hard to catch a falling knife

Ya over the lifetime of a loan they will pay less but the savings will be very marginal.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I could be wrong but I could see a lot of people trying to get their loan approval before having to pay over an extra grand a year on interest due to the rate increases I mean it was flagged a long time ago that rate rises were going to continue right through till the end of Q2 2023. I know if I was buying I would of been going gung ho into getting my approval before the rate rises kicked in and that will translate into a bit of skirmish for buying in Q1 2023 but once those who got the approvals who will be in for a shock when the approvals run out of date as its normally only valid for 3 months and unfortunately the buying process is anywhere from 3 months to a year as the cogs for buying a house move very slowly in this country and a iot of those houses that were sale agreed in Q4 2022 and Q1 2023 in a lot of cases will be coming back onto the market. There are straightened times ahead for our would be buyers.

One would imagine there would be a rush In before the worst of the rate hikes to avail of still very low fixed rates. The rush would push up prices a little

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Interest rates are not locked in until you draw down.

Realistically, when rate increases happen the only people who will beat the clock on them are the people who are already in the closing stages of buying.

Exactly so as time progresses the chance of anyone involved in getting a mortgage will be paying more for their mortgage as rates have increased. The clock is now Feb for the next rate rise and then March (I think) for the 2nd one in 2023 and the time difference to the bank actually upping their rates.. As I say I can see a lot of people who got mortgage approval in Q4 2022 being cut out of the market by interest rate rises.

The only people who'd get cut are those who are at the very extreme edge of approval.

Don't forget that everyone is tested at increased rates before they approval.

Both true, but just to clarify. I’m saying the average value the bank approved FTBs for jumped in November. Not the number applying (although they jumped too).

Generally people just go for approval for max what bank will give them and then they look for the house.

My point being, banks knew well about rate increases in November. They had increased them already and knew they would increase them further. Yet they continued to increase the amount they would lend on average (3% mom, 6% YOY vs when rates were at all time lows).

This to me indicates the LTI limits are a bigger factor in what people can borrow than interest rates (also supported by the drawdown data which shows a huge percentage of people drawdown 3.4-3.5x their income). This makes it less certain that higher rates will equal lower lending than it would in a country without strict LTI limits.

True but those tests are usually stressed at a few % higher than the current interest rate offered by the bank and as rates go up so do the interest rates that the tests are run at. At all times there will be people on the edge of approval but on top of that people who would of realistically thought they could afford to get a mortgage will either be cut from demand by their own finances or by the banks stress tests.

I'm not expecting any collapse but 10% is a sizeable drop, wipes out house price growth over the last year. My only point is prices have to come down to balance rate increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Thanks for this. I sincerely hope that a correction is on the way. I myself bought last year, but I'd take the hit financially gladly to see the stuffing knocked out of the housing market.

You could get 2.15% up till a few weeks ago, wait till 4% happens by the summer.

Is it not reviewed prior to drawdown given the pace of rises. There could be 2% difference between application and drawdown almost doubling of the rate

Thus dropping demand. If demand isn't there prices only go one way

• Advertisement

Only if demand drops sufficiently.

If there are 100 houses, and current demand is 200 buyers, demand dropping to 150 is going to have no impact on prices.

Obviously, it's not quite as simple as this, as demand won't drop uniformly across all price points, but you get the gist.

Yes, though it's unlikely.

AIP is time-limited, you'd need to renew it anyway.

Wages have come no where near inflation over the last 18/24 months and its not just what you pay for a mortgage or rent. This is where the drops will come people are struggling to live day to day and that's the tune coming from a lot of people who have a mortgage/house on a low fixed rate. At some point this country was going to face a reckoning with its stupidly over priced nature. So in your scenario out of your 200 here demand will not drop 200 will still want a house the question will be about foldability. How severely will this be impacted and the only way to address this imbalance is a drop in property prices.

This post doesn't make any sense.

If 200 people are trying to buy 100 houses today, and 50 of those suddenly can't afford the prices any more, the developer (or the seller) is not going to drop their prices when they still have 150 people able to buy.

Wage increases are of no consequence whatsoever if there are people still able to afford to buy on their current wages. Not everyone is affected equally by the rise in living costs, plenty of buyers have lots of wiggle room.

It will be interesting to see alright but just at a high level

Two individuals earning 50k take home 6350 a month after tax. Roughly the profile of an average FTB household in Dublin in 2022.

They can borrow 4x100k= 400k under the new rules.

At 4% interest on a 35 year mortgage the repayments would be 1771. 28% of their net income (I.E. very affordable). Even if stress tested to 6% it would be 35% of their income. Still manageable. It will probably have a bigger impact on older people who can’t borrow for as long who are more sensitive to the affordability tests.

Essentially, 4x income at 4% interest rates still looks reasonable so I’m not sure how much banks will pull back. Time will tell though.

Right, this is the thing. There are plenty of young professionals out there with the income to buy, even at these raised rates. It will be more expensive for them than if they bought a few years ago, and they may need to cut down on other costs, but it's all very doable.

When you consider where rents are right now it's easy to see how buying is still a very attractive option for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sounds like they'd be grand as long as they postpone having kids for the 35 years and don't lose their jobs at any point along the way......or get separated or divorced.

It makes sense that all 200 of your test group here in your scenario are experiencing higher costs in every other aspect of life from eating to going to work. I would love to have a big house by the sea in Howth, I could be seen as part of the demand for such a House, but can I afford one. Hell no. The same can be said about the vast majority of property in this country.

So you think the money people actually earn have no consequences when it comes to buying what will possibly be the biggest purchase of their lives? To me its probably the factor that will determine if a person buys or does not buy and the wiggle room your talking about is being diminished by the day from inflation and interest rate rises.

I mean, yeah sure. But that’s why mortgages aren’t at the risk free rate. If we started stress testing people for losing their jobs then nobody could ever take a mortgage out.

In reality, for most, their income will rise 2-3% per year over the 35 years and the mortgage repayments will continuously reduce in real terms.

For some, it’ll go belly up as has always been the case.

• Advertisement

Increased costs won't affect all 200 equally.

The point being made is that if enough of the 200 can absorb the increased costs without it affecting their ability to pay a mortgage then prices will not move.

Advertisement