Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭celt262

Armagh are a better side than Cavan at the moment there ability to stay in Division 1 is proof enough for me.

Yes we could and hopefully will beat them in a one off championship game but the league is the best indicator off where a team is and we have consistently failed in it.

Safe travels to everyone heading today hopefully we get up and running with 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

We’ve had four poor League seasons in a row. You can say we won the cup last year but we were in Division 4 and stumbled over the line, not looking convincing at all.

That Fermanagh result has certainly put the cat amongst the pidgeons re teams being talked up.

Most commentary reckoned that Longford only needed to turn up as they were flying under Christie and he had all their best players buying in.

Fermanagh scored 15 points and Down 2-11 on a wet January day. My worry would be our ability to rack up a scoreline like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Are Monaghan then a better team than Cavan if that is how you measure teams? Again, we have beaten them in the last 2 games we played them that really matters. I think everyone would accept that if you are of a mind you can train a team to peak in the league and you can train a team to peak for championship. To peak for both well that's not possible. Only the big guns with their wealth of playing resources can play at a decent level in Div1 and step up again for championship. What we see with Monaghan and Armagh, up until this year at least, are two teams that put huge focus on the league and tend to flop in the championship. Of course you are entitled to say the league is as important but for me its all about championship. Its not that long ago either when we were in Div1/2 and many supporters gave the team no credit for that based on the poor championship performances. It seems to be a Cavan supporters thing to talk down your own team and out of the other side of your mouth exaggerate other teams - I've lived in a few other counties and you dont hear that.

Anyway, lets hope for a good start today. I think if we go in with the right attitude we can do it.

Hard to know where Monaghan are they are going through a transition at the moment. I think we could beat any Ulster team apart from Tyrone in a one off game.

Look at the odds for the Ulster Championship we are rated 7 out off 9.

Those games were in 2019 and 2020 though. Unfortunately our performances have dipped somewhat dramatically since. If they hadn’t, you could maybe argue the point but not based on what we’ve seen.

If you asked a neutral who is the better team, what would they say? Who would the bookies instill as favourites if they played in the morning?

Would Monaghan lose games to Fermanagh, Tipp, Wicklow & Westmeath?

I think the answers to those questions answers what you’ve asked.

Championship is where it’s at I agree but we can’t even get into the qualifiers and didn’t win the second rate competition so our own performances have been poor.

How is it talking down your own team to be realistic about how we haven’t been at the races since 2020?

If anything, I think it shows the madness in the county that we’re living in a dreamland from three years ago and comparing ourselves to Division 1 teams, acting like 2021 and 2022 never happened.

Re peaking for championship and League, our own manager commented last year that the split season has now put this issue to bed because there isn’t a long delay between League and championship anymore.

Some championship “flop” for Monaghan in 2021 by the way to reach the Ulster final.

Anyway, I fail to see our fixation on comparing ourselves to Division 1 teams. There’s a whole Division there between us at present and our lot today is a Division 3 Westmeath team that we couldn’t beat in battle only six months ago. Let’s start with trying to beat them. We can worry about Monaghan or Armagh in the League when we get promoted and earn the right to play them.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Advertisement

Cavan King. Not fixated at all. Just not buying the hype.

Well done to lads today, won the game twice and bar a big wobble were in control the whole match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Good win today even though at times we tried our best to lose it

Good performance from the new lads in which was good to see

We should have been out of sight mid way through the 2nd half but let them back in to it and made for a nervy finish

Anyway we needed that....

Considering the players missing, and that Gerry Smith was added to that list, a 3 point win away is a terrific result.

They had a purple patch for ten minutes around the goal and got it back to 1 point but a team with plenty of inexperience rode it out and scored the next four points.

Evan Finnegan I thought was excellent, carrying on from his McKenna Cup performances, and Niall Carolan dispelled some of the doubts I had about him.

I’m not even going to bother talking at length about the class of McVeety & a resurgent Ciaran Brady. It’s just par for the course.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

That might be the best game I've ever seen Ciaran Brady play for Cavan. Thoroughly dominant.

Niall Carolan was brilliant. His best game for Cavan so far. Tiarnan Madden also held his own. I thought Oisin Brady looked to struggle a bit physically which is strange because he's an excellent athlete.

The goal was a real defensive lapse. Can't allow players to get up the line that easy. We struggled around midfield.

Westmeath were poor on the day. I'd expect next week in Breffni to be a tougher assignment. Brilliant start and wonderful to see a hungry team and a vocal Cavan support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

We let them back into it and it became a real test. Good to get the win and get out of there with three points. I do feel the Down game will be the strongest test.

We only get the 2 points but great to get them. I was really impressed with Carolan and Finnegan in both corners, Carolan did a massive job on O Toole and really frustrated him. Faulkner was solid throughout but once or twice he came out to midfield and got really caught out, thats why he doesnt play out there with the county - he will not be happy of the concession of the goal either. The half back line were superb and McVetty was outstanding. Hard to believe he was 3 full years away and comes back in looking like a Rolls Royce. Holla was the same. The drive in them 2 guys is what we badly need. I though the two maddens were great too. Clarke did all the hard running and dirty work in the middle without looking spectacular. Our forwards won ball well but we just lack that bit of class to take a man on in there and stick it over, preferring to recycle ball. Ray hit some savage frees too and almost scored one from the half way line! But Westmeath were a long way off where I thought they would be. If we can take Tipp next weekend we'd really be set up well. Hopefully Conor Brady not too badly injured, seemed to be holding his hamstring which would be disastrous in terms of championship preparation.

Down is our 5th game so we’ve Tipp, Longford & Offaly away before then. Tipp have had great success over the years in Breffni so we can’t look past them next weekend. Even when Madden scored a belter of a point to win us promotion in 2018, we had a fair bit of luck with decisions that day.

I heard Sweeney got injured against Down, be a big help if he was out

If Sweeney plays, who picks him up? He's given Faulkner a few roastings now. Do you stick with him and just accept that he's going to cause trouble or do you try change things up to nullify him.

Good solid start yesterday with some very impressive performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Great to get the win yesterday, debutants done very well, Mcveety back and a fit holla give the team so much directness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

One massive frustration I have over yesterday is there was times when the inisde forwards were making runs into space and weren't picked seen. A bit more directness at times could really pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Firstly, that was a great turn out of Cavan supporters and in fine voice too. In fairness, the work rate and intensity of tacking defnintely lifted the crowed but it felt at times like a home fixture. Barring the wobble with the goal we were comfortably the better team all over the pitch. One of those days that every single player put a massive shift in, and no one (starters or subs) looked out of place at intercounty level. Realistically we could have won by more and tacked on some more scores on the break at the end.

The most reassuring thing was that when we had the wobble, players stood up (Clarke, Holla, McVeerty and Faulkner) and took the game back to Westmeath.

And as noted above, stand out performances from Finnegan, Carolan (O Toole was gassed trying to track him at times), Tiernan Madden, and a fine shift from Ray for those frees and Ryan O'Neill. And as for the Holla and McVeety. Seeing them fully fit and absolutely monstering Westmeath time and time again was a sight to behold. Roll on Sunday!

• Advertisement

I think that's the problem. Faulkner isn't a full back by trade and last season wasn't his best (i rate him very highly) but more often than not, despite form he's given the danger man to manage. I thought we looked a very cohesive unit against Westmeath, so that's encouraging (albeit it's only one game!)

Tipp are no one-trick pony and Russel for example did some damage against us in the final from distance and kicked three or four monster points before he ran out of steam. Tipp will absolutely have no fear of us and we need to bring the same level of intensity from Sunday from the throw in next week. If we do, we have enough and talk of Conor Smith and Gearoid being ready to get minutes.

Yeah I think Mickey probably sticks with Faulkner to do the job if he's playing. Tipp are a bit of a bogey team so anything could happen next week. If we can get a win it puts us in a brilliant position. Interesting to see Offaly are third favourites to go up now.

One of us must have bad information because the word around the town here is that Gearoid definitely won't be available next week.

Mickey Graham name dropped pretty much every player in his interview yesterday saying they should be fit next week but I take anything Mickey says with a pinch of salt, he gives nothing away.

Saw mention of Russell that kicked those monster scores in Croke above, Kevin Egan who spoke to WAC seemed to think they’d be missing him - injury I think.

Get through the Tipp game and there’s a two week window to the next game against Longford.

I was only basing that on pre- and post-match interviews where Mickey said that the Westmeath game came a week too early for some lads and mentioned James Smith and Gearoid. As noted, it could be a fib but sure I'll go with the hope that he is fit to make a cameo.

Looking at the link you posted, Russell came on in the second half. Quick scan of the programme for the division four final last year and Tipp had nine players from the game in April in action against Down o Sunday, we had 8 in action (including Madden and Lynch coming on as subs) from that final involved against Westmeath. I know Egan said they were down loads incluing Quinlivan and i think both Mahers- i can't remember.

I saw a clip of the highlights on Twitter. Luke Loughlin's run for the goal looks even worse second time around. He made it past Tiarnan Madden, Faulkner and then Finnegan and, apart from Faulkner's attempt at a shoulder, didn't have a glove laid on him.

Did Maguire intend the lay off to Faulkner for his point? If so it was a lovely piece of skill.

That’s a real shame. He’s a classy footballer & worth paying in to see. Hope he’s back next year.

Team named for tomorrow, one change to the starting 15 with Ryan Donohue replacing Conor Brady. Some changes to the match day panel, Moynagh, Gerry Smith & the Gunner back. No sign of Gearoid and James Smith- as was flagged on the WAC podcast interview with Mickey Graham this week.

• Advertisement

Big ask for Donohoe to start at midfield with almost no experience at this level. Hopefully he can break even at least.

Apparently the Tipp panel are highly motivated by the bookies writing them off here, Cavan at 1/5 seems crazy.

Advertisement