Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I extended, because it wouldnt reach otherwise!

I used 1mm2 red/black speaker wire as trying to crimp ring terminals onto 0.5mm2 is really fiddly!

Id top balance the cells. You possibly could get away with not doing it, as you have the neey, but id be conservative on the charge voltages, (better to keep a constant charge at 55/56v until you get the pack in-line)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

they can be got at any ironworks, your local metal supplier that does box steel etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I highly advise solder seals for BMS extending, eliminates crimping of tiny wires

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083W2FS5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I second this! great for all sorts of connections, (no ring terminals though!, Still have to crimp them)

I now use solder seals for everything, herself ran over the vacuum cable the other day, no terminal box, just solder seal, once applied they are unbelievably strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Thanks, I might try without extending and see how I get on. the flex might be advantageous in time.

😎

Battery cables for solis hybrid inverter came wrapped around this/cable tied to them. What's it's purpose?

😎

I have a battery cable with my Solis inverter. However, I need more for the shorter elements of the setup. Is that 25mm difficult to cut and lug? Im seeing videos with people using hydraulic crimps for example...(which I don't have)

😎

Those who put 16 cells in box/frame. Can you send me a link to get something similar.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭championc

Which cells do you have - the CALB 200's or the Aluminium cased 280's ?

Some use a plastic storage box - possibly from HomeStore + More or Ikea.

• Advertisement

The CALB, just spotted the largest ikea one. Should work.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/samla-box-transparent-90102971/

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Got the angle iron from the local steel merchant. Most steel fabricators will sell you steel. They expect you to take the full lengths (6m in my case) and will charge a fortune if you ask for it to be cut.

Threaded bar can be got from any good hardware shop. As can the plywood. I had very thin packaging foam so put this between the cells. Hope to wire it up tomorrow.

The high price of materials here really puts perspective on the value of the cells and the bms.

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

New one on me :-)

Post edited by munsterfan2 on

Good start I think...haven't blown up anything yet anyway.

😎

Anyone got input on this? Don't think I will be able to lug them so guessing electric store or motor factors?

😎

I got my cables crimped at the counter where I got the cables, if you don't ask....

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Another DIY enthusiast I work with says, any time you take on a big job, add to your tool collection. I decided to get a hydraulic crimper from Amazon. It does a nice job. I’ll have it for future expansion.

My views are my own.

Thanks for the DMs I have exchanged for some help.

I'm still a little unsure exactly whats connecting with battery main positive, and negatives, and the BMS 4 cables.

the JK BMS wiring diagram shows a power source and a separate controller (typically an MPPT/smart solar charger), which we don't have on our setups? So that's confusing me, and I think it's making the wiring diagram redundant after the balancing cables step.

😎

My cables are not crimped (yet). I think the "P" is actually confusing as it means power not positive!?

The BMS OP used looks different and has positive and negative connections? While the JK BMS seems to be only Negative??

so P (black) goes off to inverter negative, and B (blue) goes battery main negative...?

then my positive cables simply sun from

inverter to isolator switch, on to fuse, then join direct to positive main on battery.

(I will write it all up and edit these posts when done to avoid confusing anyone)!

😎

Diagram

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭championc

I think B- to Batteries NEGATIVE and P- to Inverter NEGATIVE

For the BMS leads, the black goes to the first cell negative (where P- will be connected) and then the 16 reds to the 16 positive poles on each of the 16 cells

Bingo. All on same page now and this helps; Will Prowse Solar YouTube channel; LifePO4 and JK BMS

https://youtu.be/AiEmhC8f9lo

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭jasgrif11

Would you be open to sharing pictures of your battery setup here? In particular im looking for inspiration on casing/mounting. I’ve seen everything from batteries on rafters, plastic boxes to home DIY shelving.

I plan to have my 16 cells in my garage and want to future proof to accommodate 32 more (and beyond). I also need to consider keeping the kids away from them and generally away from the general dirt and grind of a home garage.

Haven't figured out my final casing. Seen ikea have a large plastic storage box. Also considering if I can do something better to child proof it

😎

Where are the batteries going to be located?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭irishchris

Quick question for all DIY builds so far. Have mine connected and working away for last six months.

125A breaker between BMS and inverter but would like to place fuse between cells and BMS. What fuses have people gone with here on their setups. See class T fuses mentioned in good few videos online but seem hard to get hold of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Na won’t last, you’ll need a more sturdy option. The strongest boxes are the “really useful” boxes from Homebase had one myself serve me well when I had 16 cells but it’s tight on room - (blue ones are really heavy duty but hard to find). Wooden ottoman is nice and neat but pricey. I’m using a transport dolly for 32 cells (2 rows of 16 due to space restrictions). It makes it easy to move them but it’s not covered so on the lookout for a nice solution.

In terms of fuse, would I be right to say 150a is too big to serve any meaningful purpose? Is 100a too big too?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Clf

I got them here:

They are pricey, it adds up when buying spares. I tried a few of the marine hardware suppliers here but they were all more expensive and didn’t stock them.

Advertisement