Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLERICAL OFFICER 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WednesdayGirl

Anyone can apply and all have equal chances based on aptitude test and interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Already in the civil service and still had to do garda vetting - they should have my reference and PMDS from HR by this stage

Emailed the case worker today at 1pm - haven't heard anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thanks fritzelly.

Any idea of typical questions that are asked at interview?

I done the TCO interview about 3 years ago, and wondering what kinds of questions can be asked under each competency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭2021_AP

They definitely are not "earmarked " for anyone

Each individual is judged on their own merit and marked accordingly.

They will ask you for an example for each of the 5 competencies you encountered in a job

They also asked me for a time I dealt with a difficult customer and a time I went out of my way for a customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 sparkyG6

I was asked about the time I dealt with w difficult customer or colleague and what steps I took to overcome it, a time when teamwork was essential, I was also asked about my computer knowledge I was completely honest and told them I had all on the job learning in my previous posts and that I'm very eager to learn new skills. They love love to hear you speak about communication skills too. Listening is one of their favourites. Just do up an example for each of the 5 competencies on the link they sent and youl be fine. Your kept talking and made feel very comfortable, just be yourself. Good luck

I was also asked if there was any project I was part of that I was proud of, I was caught on the spot with that one but managed to pull something out of the bag. Also they are big on GDPR also so I threw my knowledge on that into one of my other answers and I could see them ticking it off and nodding their heads so they didn't have to bother asking me about it.

Not at all, but it does help having prior experience as a CO in the civil service as that's what your asked about in your aptitude test. So being a TCO would have its benefits in that sense as you would have knowledge of the every day goings on in a civil service work environment

Oh yeah - throw in the GDPR, for example making sure you are speaking to the right person by checking their details for example - I saw him smile when I threw that in on one of the competencies

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mara Bee

Hi all, just wondering if anyone would know if you have to provide a reference from your 'current' employer once you have gone through interview stage on CO permanent panel?

I have a dilemma...I am currently employed in private sector but I have been out on sick leave for past 4 weeks. I did my interview for Permanent Panel CO last week. I have been waiting over a year for CO panel application to get to this stage so really dont want to mess it up.

I know my current employer will not give me a favourable reference because they are pi**sed I am out on S/L. I needed to take a break for mental health reasons, just not a good place to work.

My dilemma is... Do I need to bite the bullet and return to work to try and redeem a half decent reference from my current employer, while I wait to hear interview results and hopefully a position offer which I know could take anything from 2 -8 weeks

Any experience on this would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to return at all to my current employer 😪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Daisyflower123

Sorry for asking but why are you not leaving your employer? I would say just leave and go on JB - then they will give you a statement only what days/period you were employed with them.

After interview you will get your result and only then you will be asked for Garda vetting and references from previous employments. Once they will get back Garda vetting - they will ask you for details from current employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mara Bee

Hi @Daisyflower123 thank you so much for your response. I am currently on WFP as my income is so low, I would lose the WFP if I go onto JB and I just cannot afford to lose this payment atm hence the only reason I haven't handed in my notice with current employer.

Yea in that case you will loose WFP. Just wait until you get your interview results do not rush, I think there is no point to go back to work just for a reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I got my placement from a statement of employment, they didn't contact my job.

Hi,

Thanks very much.

Tbh I'd be worried if I got asked to talk about any projects that I was part of that I was proud of. In my previous employments, my jobs didn't really include any big 'projects' as such.

What alternatives do I have here regarding an answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bichonfrise7

Hi guys,

how long after sending in statement of employment & Garda vetting approval did you find out where you were assigned to?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bichonfrise7

Okay, great thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

How long did the clearance process take for you? :)

I'm in no rush anyways I'd prefer to start early April or something haha.

I just said we started a new roster system that made the work load fairer for all staff and it ended up being rolled out in other branches. I made it up and waffled haha

• Advertisement

I'm getting a wee bit stuck on the teamwork competency.

Does this answer have to relate to a big work project undertaken? In my past employments, I wasn't really part of any "projects" as such. The closest thing was preparing templates for weekly meetings at work, amending these after the meeting, and distributing to attendees, so that everyone ended up with a clear and consise overview of the outcome of what was discussed.

I also double checked calculated figures for a department, and signed off on same.

It related to the core purpose of the role itself. ( I don't wish to elaborate too much on here).

Quite quick , Garda did it within 10 working days. Whole process took around 3 weeks. Everything moved very quickly after new year, and I was assigned on the 20th of January I think 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 14 specialk333

Had my interview last week and got my result today, didn’t think it’d be so quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jellytots18

Hi

I was contacted by PAS last week for vetting and reference documents, as I am being considered for a position. I returned the paperwork over the weekend and received a follow up email this morning requesting permission to contact my referee which is my current employer. Just wondering if this happened anyone else, having your current employer contacted before being offered a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seamus92

Hi everyone. I just have a question regarding flexi-time. If I start at 8:45am, what time would I be finished at? I know you have to do 7 hours, but does that include the 30 min break and the longer break?

Well you have to check with the job if you can do that but you would finish at 4.15 assuming 30 min lunch break

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TL123

Hi everyone, recently places in first 15 on kerry coco for clerical officer, just wondering what is the next phase please can anyone help? With regards to references how does that work is it one from your current employer or previous employers, any Info appreciated, thanks in advance 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭lucybousy

Did it say where you were on panel. I got my result said pleased inform you that have reached qualifying standard at stage 2 and will retain order of merit from stage one but didnt get number on panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭The devils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Advertisement