Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Event In The Metropole - Early 90s

Options
  • 30-01-2023 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I'm having a serious dose of nostalgia with this one, does anyone remember the wrestling show that was held in The Metropole in Waterford around 1993 I would guess?

The Legion of Doom were the headliners, and they were a big name, being on the WWF programmes on telly back then alongside Hulk Hogan and the rest. I don't think there's ever been any other wrestling event in Waterford with such well-known people as them. Could be wrong here but they were a huge draw at the time.

I'd love to know if anyone has any information on the show or any photos :) I'm sure people have them somewhere. I searched but can't find anything online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ha I was actually at that. Was only about 5/6 at the time. Can remember LoD, the "Royal Rumble" ended the evening and I'm pretty sure the ring apron had a WCW logo on it 🤔

Very very vague memories though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sounds like an Orig Williams tribute show, a British touring company who "borrowed" certain gimmicks from WWF. You probably saw Johnny south as "the legend of Doom"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,380 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Always a werid rumour when i was in Primary school in the 90s that Bret Hart and British Bulldog were in the Peoples Park once

Seems to remember a few 'IWW' shows in the Fourm i think and a few of the 'American Wrestling' type shows that are still happening around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

WCW? Can't remember that now.

Ah jasus that actually would make sense. Kind of disappointed now. I feel like a child who's just been told there's no Santa!

The show was still very good from what I remember, the crowd really got into it. Would love to see some photos if anyone has them.

What year would the IWW shows have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭hynesie08

WCW? Can't remember that now.

Orig was a local promoter for WCW in their early 90s UK tours, so if it was a WCW ring skirt it almost certainly made it's way into the back of Origs van.

Ah jasus that actually would make sense. Kind of disappointed now. I feel like a child who's just been told there's no Santa!

Sorry. If it makes you feel any better there's an entire generation who got tickets to this for Christmas.

What year would the IWW shows have been?

05-09 would have been IWWs peak years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

That's hilarious, the poor kids turning up expecting to see Stone Cold and The Rock. Then again, lots of them were probably like me and none the wiser. Actually looking back now I do remember feeling a bit confused with the Legend of Doom character. He competed in a singles match and not as a tag-team. Oh well.

While we're on the topic of wrestling and Waterford, I found this article interesting - https://waterford-news.ie/2022/08/10/from-deise-dreamer-to-mexican-wrestling-star/

Advertisement