Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

He should contact Connolly house for some advice if he’s planning such an about turn. They could tell him how they managed to summersault from ‘Brits out’ to ‘we will sit in devolved British institutions in the North’ or the more recent summersault of ‘we hate the eu and want out’ to ‘we love the eu and want to stay in’ or ‘we will not return while Arlene is FM’ to ‘we are heading back in’ etc, etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

In other words, Unionism should learn that Never Never Never leads you into cul de sacs that damages the very thing you are trying to protect?

AIA - The GFA - Parades - Flags - Brexit - A border in the Irish Sea - The Protocol, when is the penny going to drop?

When will your penny drop that you have had all the things listed and still you have less people wanting a United ireland that there was 101 years ago. UI is further away than ever. These things listed have appeased nationalists and now there is no stomach for UI

And pivot away from the point.

p.s those things ended Unionist supremacy and the legal imposition of their veto (they still do it undemocratically) and gave everyone equality and parity of esteem.

Nothing to do with appeasement just modern democracy

Good spake from Bertie Ahern on radio ulster this morning.

he said that there had not been an understanding of the depth of feeling in unionist community about the impact of the protocol on their identity, but he says there now is a clear understanding and it needs to be resolved.

I said recently in a post that Leo was a slow learner. This confirms that. Let’s hope Leo’s new awakening also continues.

another little step in this very long road.

Well done to our people who, against all odds, are dragging the DUP, UK gov, Irish gov and EU to a place they thought they would never go.

• Advertisement

And have you ever heard the word 'plámás'?

Because that is what is happening, the Unionist community is being plámásed.

Bertie and Leo are indulging your victimhood, no doubt Sunak will do a bit of it soon too, and the protocol will be adjusted via the flexibility built in and a deal struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That's how politics works. Didn't SF embrace the EU after rejecting it for decades??? Didn't they claim the war was won even though the South signed away the consitutional imperative?

The reality is that things are only changing at the edges, and painting those minimal changes in a favourable light for your own party is what politicians do. So Donaldson is no different to Mary-Lou and every SF leader claiming every year for a century that a UI is closer.

Yes, as I told you before, political parties evolve naturally.

We just need the DUP to evolve and stop blocking rights for people. They will on the Protocol because they did the same with the AIA and the GFA, Flags, Parades etc.

A great piece. Seems there may be more understanding of realities around the protocol in New York than there is in Dundalk

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/26/opinion/northern-ireland-protocol-eu.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's paywalled so I've no idea what it says.

However, I'm surprised that you refer to Dundalk (presumably as a cheap dig against the republic) and not Belfast given that the party you support (the DUP) are doing their utmost to undermine the protocol, the union, the current prosperity in NI compared to the rest of the UK, the peace in NI, the will of the people of NI and so on. Still, their lies seem to go down well with their supporters.

• Advertisement

It's paywalled for me too but I read a previous article of his and my god the pro British-anti EU slant is dripping out of it and hilarious at times. Get a load of this:

I'll pass on reading him again thanks

No paywall at my end - there must still be a grace period on it

here is the whole article from NYT as I don’t want to be accused of being selective.

I know francie is shooting the messenger already, but hey let’s not join in on that sad policy when someone disagrees with us

It’s Anyone’s Guess What Could Happen in Northern Ireland in the Next 12 Weeks

Jan. 26, 2023

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak of Britain finds himself in an abyss of public disapproval. Few politicians have done less to get there. His unpopularity (his Tory Party now lags the Labour opposition by 21 points) is mostly a result of things that happened before he arrived in office. There was the budgetary incompetence of his short-lived predecessor Liz Truss. There was the untrustworthiness of Boris Johnson, who led Britain out of the European Union after the so-called Brexit referendum.

Now a detail of Brexit that was mismanaged years ago has landed Mr. Sunak in a serious predicament. It stems from the fact that Ireland remains part of the European Union but Northern Ireland no longer is — and yet the two parts of the island are bound by trade and a 25-year-old peace treaty that helped defuse a terrorist conflict between Protestant unionists and Catholics.

Those loose ends were tied up in a little-understood clarification of Brexit called the Northern Ireland protocol, ratified in January 2020. It looked like a mere codicil three years ago; now it looks like a serious diplomatic blunder that could threaten Britain’s territory and the region’s peace.

For almost a year, the Democratic Unionist Party, which favors maintaining Northern Ireland’s ties to the British mainland, has blocked the formation of a regional government and demanded that the Northern Ireland protocol be revised. Last Thursday a deadline passed that will require Mr. Sunak’s government to schedule new elections within 12 weeks.

A new vote opens the way to unguessable outcomes — an uprising in Mr. Sunak’s own party, a move to unite the six Irish counties that are part of the United Kingdom with the 26 controlled by the Irish Republic, even the resumption of the decades of political unrest that roiled Northern Ireland until the end of the last century.

Ireland nearly undid Brexit from the start. It seemed during the 2016 referendum that should Britain “take back control,” as the slogan went, it would be able to set its own rules. Instead, there followed three and a half poisonous years in which the country had to negotiate and quarrel its way out of the European Union. “Brexit means Brexit,” said the Tory prime minister Theresa May, but it turned out Brexit meant different things to different people.

Ms. May promised — too hastily, in retrospect — to honor the 1998 Good Friday peace agreement among Britain, Northern Ireland’s political parties and the Republic of Ireland. One of the main things the agreement did was to bind together the economies of Ireland’s north and south. But adapting that arrangement to a post-Brexit world came at a steep constitutional price for the north. To protect the European single market against smuggling and the transfer of unauthorized goods through Northern Ireland, a customs border would be established between Northern Ireland and Britain. To administer the single market, the European Court of Justice was given authority to interpret E.U. law in Northern Ireland.

This is the core of the grievance that has brought Northern Ireland to the brink of ungovernability. The controversy is often described as a trade dispute in a region torn between two political systems. But that is not right. Politically, Northern Ireland is not torn; it is part of the United Kingdom. And the main problem is not trade; it’s that under the pretext of trade, the European Union is laying claim to a territory that does not belong to it.

There is a lack of reciprocity in the treaty that is reminiscent of 19th-century agreements between European powers and their colonies. Why does Britain have none of the prerogatives on E.U. territory that the European Union claims on British territory? After all, the United Kingdom, too, is a single market, just as vulnerable to smugglers as the European Union, and the protocol does not permit analogous customs checks on goods arriving in Irish ports from continental ones.

The larger gripe with the treaty is the role it accords European Union institutions, particularly the European Court of Justice. Many citizens of Northern Ireland worry that they can now have their laws and social arrangements overruled by E.U. authorities that they had no role in electing or appointing. At the height of the Covid pandemic, the vaccine-strapped European Union tried to use the Northern Ireland protocol to block the flow of vaccines between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

The European Court of Justice proclaims the supremacy of E.U. law over the laws of the various member states. It operates in practice to transfer decision making from national capitals to Brussels. Such actions continue to provoke outrage even in states that belong to the European Union. Britain, it will be remembered, is no longer an E.U. member. And over years of Brexit-related quarrels, the tolerance of Britain’s conservative leaders for international regulatory bodies has waned.

E.U. officials often behave as if they do not realize this. Maros Sefcovic, a Slovak diplomat and European commissioner who has been the European Union’s point man on protocol negotiations, has spoken of British moves to change the Northern Ireland protocol as a “breach of international law.”

But countries leave treaties all the time. If Mr. Sefcovic believes anything that Britain does regarding Northern Ireland threatens international law, then he is laying claim to Britain’s sovereign territory — a part of it, moreover, that was within living memory the home to a sadistic, two-sided terroristic conflict that occasionally rose to the intensity of a civil war. If this really is the view of Britain’s European neighbors regarding the protocol, then it is a matter of increasing urgency that Britain break free of it.

Post edited by downcow on

1st lie: But adapting that arrangement to a post-Brexit world came at a steep constitutional price for the north. 

No it didn't, Britain's own courts decided this

2nd lie: And the main problem is not trade; it’s that under the pretext of trade, the European Union is laying claim to a territory that does not belong to it.

Brysonesque hysteria and wholly wrong. NI is a part of the UK until a majority decide otherwise. Also reiterated by British courts.

Q: Why does Britain have none of the prerogatives on E.U. territory that the European Union claims on British territory? After all, the United Kingdom, too, is a single market, just as vulnerable to smugglers as the European Union, and the protocol does not permit analogous customs checks on goods arriving in Irish ports from continental ones.

A; Britain is free to check goods coming into it's territory if it wishes.

Dis-ingenuous slant: At the height of the Covid pandemic, the vaccine-strapped European Union tried to use the Northern Ireland protocol to block the flow of vaccines between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Doesn't say that the EU held it's hands up, didn't proceed with this and apologised for it as a mistake.

E.U. officials often behave as if they do not realize this. Maros Sefcovic, a Slovak diplomat and European commissioner who has been the European Union’s point man on protocol negotiations, has spoken of British moves to change the Northern Ireland protocol as a “breach of international law.”

Thw GFA, The WA and the Protocol are both enshrined in British, EU and International law. Sefcovic is correct.

If Mr. Sefcovic believes anything that Britain does regarding Northern Ireland threatens international law, then he is laying claim to Britain’s sovereign territory 

More hysterical rubbish.

Then it is a matter of increasing urgency that Britain break free of it.

Britain is free to 'break free' from any treaty and agreement they want to, but they have to take the consequences of that. Don't sign up if you cannot deliver on your committments.

Thanks for your perspective francie. Watch the sun doesn’t blind you if you ever take those blinkers off.

you could join Colum Eastwood here who seems to be implying the unionist viewpoint should be censored from the NYT.

great to see a range of perspectives emerging. I did say it would be a very long road but it’s moving faster than I expected.

Did you read this one?

They are 'opinions' downcow, and that one you posted is an opinion with holes in it not to mention, several lies. Why do you accept politicians (DUP, TUV, Toiries) and newapspapers telling you lies, when it has been shown to you that they are or where 'lies'?

Interesting poll results in BelTel

64% support for the GFA will be music to the ears of the Protocol negotiators. 31% would oppose it today...only a slight increase on the original vote.

Only 21% support for the DUP boycott of the assembly too and majoirity support for The Protocol.

I think you know quite well the gfa was supposed to be about consensus, so the fact one community has given up on it should concern anyone who holds it dear

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If 64% support means one community have given up, that community should stop pretending it can define NIs future.

The agreement commands majority support and like the protocol is going nowhere. Unionists no longer have a veto

I can’t remember who the ‘leading Irish American’ was on radio ulster this morning, but he said quite categorically that it was essential any agreement was acceptable to unionists.

I think you and your mates are forgetting that everyone agreed majority rule was no longer acceptable in ni. But sure you stay on the wrong side of history if you wish

• Advertisement

Like any law laid down by a government it would be nice to have buy in and agreement from all but it is not 'essential'.

That would be the way of giving a community a veto and those days are over,

Not much change in recent poll. Seem sf lost 1% to Antu who doubled their vote - what do people think. Could Antu ever do a TUV and take 7%? Not my community and I have no idea but I’m curious.

TUV take 2% off dup overall unionist vote slight increase - I guess one positive impact of the protocol

Mad to think that SF are just 10 points behind the entire Unionist vote.

The DUP losing votes on their stance and the UUP holding their vote with a slight increase is the significant figure here. TUV can split the vote but will really signify very little, still a one MLA party.

That’s a spin and a half :-)

tell me am I reading this right?.

All the nationalist parties have a minus at them. While the unionist block moves further ahead 42:38, if I am counting correctly, but maths never was my strong point.

….and remember that every single representative of that 42, council, stormont and Westminster are opposed to the protocol. Yes 100%. It’s remarkable, 100s of political representatives and not one single one has broke ranks to say protocol is ok.

TUV support = SDLP support.

remarkable to say the least. John Hume would never have dreamt it

….and all this doesn’t even consider that Alliance voters are reported to be 75% union supporting (if delusional).

No problem being opposed to something...problem arises when you use your own people as hostages.

Not going to end well as a strategy.

No alternatives to the Protocol that satisfy The EU

No alternatives to the GFA that has majority support.

Unionism has just reverted to Never Never Never and is hoping somebody rides to their rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nationalist vote now appears permanently stuck at 38%, most interesting aspect of the recent poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

40 - Aontu on 2%

Downcow also forgot to count them above.

• Advertisement

The much vaunted advance of the Alliance party seems to have stalled too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement