Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royal Rumble 2023 *Spoilers* *NO BETTING ODDS*

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Might run that story quickly to end at Elimination Chamber? Or else put it on ice until after WM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Presumably there'll be a big match next month there? I was wondering that too because between the spear and her starting at number 1 I actually didn't think she'd win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,065 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Christ a musical performance

Be 5am by the time Roman gets to the ring

Well. Had been wondering who Hardy was after his weird appearance before. Seems he's just a terrible generic country musician ticking off the boxes of referencing his truck and drinking with his buds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

PPV is too long. I love wrestling but watching anything for 5 hours (including preshow) is too much.

Jesus Christ, the commentators really treating the viewer/listener as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭ThePott

Preshow is an absolute tie waster these daysm they don't even put matches on it anymore. 4 hours is about as long as I think a PPV can be. Those long-ass Wrestlemanias were a dose.

Sami's performance/expressions are so perfect.

hmmm... was disappointed with the Sami turn, as didn't feel like the best way to end the Sami/Bloodline story - but the Jey turn makes it potentially quite interesting. There was proper tension in both moments, really well handled performances by both Sami and Jey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭ThePott

Match itself was fine but loved the finishing angle.

Really well sold by all involved. The Bloodline cracking apart and seeing what happens with Jey will be interesting. I do think that the audible should definitely have been for Zayn to beat Roman at Mania but I think they emphasis on Kevin Owens and Sami saving him makes it seem like it's tag title focused. Definitely going to be an interesting build to Mania.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I disagree. I thought it was terrific storytelling from not just Sami and Jey but Jimmy too. You could see Sami lining up that shot on more than one occasion but every time it stopped you were left wondering if he would actually do it.

Sounds like we're largely in agreement... I agree that the way the scene was handled was all excellent from Sami and Jey et al, as I said... my criticism is just that I think there was still more to run on the story before having the turn. But as ThePott said, it's likely gonna lead to a tag match instead of Sami getting to stand up to Roman, which i'd have loved.

Cody speaking very well at the presser after, really fitting the part of the statesman stepping up to the big seat. Speaking like a future champ. (And did a bit of Mtn Dew promotional stuff too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Officer999

I think I’ve watched Sami’s chair shot on Roman about 20 times already this morning. It’s a thing of beauty. That pop was just insane for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Very much a predictable rumble with Cody and Rhea winning their respective rumbles.

I do think they missed a trick not having Ripley drag mysterio out to the ring to have Dom eliminate him. Give Dom that bragging rights over his Dad.

The Sami turn was coming a mile off but I didn’t see Jey walking out like that. Hopefully they go with that and not have Jey side with Jimmy and co. As if they push Jey as a face it’d come full circle as Jey initially stood up to Roman. But no doubt it will be Jey and Jimmy versus Sami and KO at mania

Rhea and Roman have to be favourites for their respective mania matches. Not buying Cody being the one to stop Reigns.

Rhea is a bonafide superstar already and definitely deserves that crowning moment at Mania. I'm not sure about Cody, on one hand he's absolutely perfect to finally dethrone Roman on the other hand I want the inner Bloodline turmoil to cost him. Turn was telegraphed but it was pulled off so well at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very Very good PPV.

the men’s royal rumble was great and Walter aka Gunther in my eyes was already a star but is even more so now. Even though it was obvious Cody was winning the final two did a good job of not having it be a quick ending helped Cody.

the pitch dark match was interesting but not good. I feel so bad for LA Knight having to go through this bray Wyatt BS. I liked original Bray Wyatt but the fiend and firefly funhouse stuff was the drizzling ****. Also Uncle howdy missed by a mile.

Alexa bliss I don’t think will be an in ring wrestler much longer. She doesn’t seem to be able or want to wrestle.

Also I think the thing with Rey is linked to the mask, Dom took his mask and ripped it so he couldn't come out and compete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Overall a good PPV.

The post main event was well done.

I forgot Logan Paul was an officially signed WWE Superstar. I noticed they got a lot of the big Superstars out there early enough, like Sheamus, Drew, Brock, Lashley. Usually they save them for closer the end. Good showing for Gunther. And was surprised Rey won overall with Cody just eliminating himself at the end.

Kofi messing up for the second year in a row. Looked like he missed the chair and Woods was meant to help as well. Cole even tried to cover by saying both feet hadn't touched, but I guess HHH called out to tell him to leave it now. Also seemed Kofi was hurt.

Didn't even really watch the Bliss/Bianca match. Just skipped through it. No interest and as said above it seems like Alexa has no interest either.

The Wyatt match seemed more as a way to bring back/reintroduce the Wyatt 6. He even had the VI on the side of his head.

Rhea winning was kinda expected though did expect more from Beth. Hope the Nia appearance was a once off. Thought since he wasn't in the men's Rumble that Dexter may have come out from under the ring for Indi to land on. Expected Katana/Kacy or Sol Ruca to be in it to do the elimination save spot. I never understand why ones involved in feuds fight outside the ring then leave the person lying there. Like why didn't Damage CTRL bring Becky back in and eliminate her instead of letting her sit out a chunk of the match?

One thing the women's Rumble match shows is how badly booked that division is. You watch the men's match and you have multiple feuds being continued in it and pretty much everyone in it has some sort of beef with someone else in it. Then watch the women's and some of the entrants have been on tv about as much as the surprise entrants. How many women in that match are involved in storylines on the main roster at the moment? I can think of just Becky, Bayley, Iyo, Dakota and Sonya. Iyo and Dakota are tag champs and they don't even have a feud using that fact. I guess could say Rhea as well.

So who will Rhea go for? I would think Charlotte since Charlotte's beaten her for a title a few times. But will probably be Bianca. Depends on who they want for the other title match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Edge should have speared Rhea, I thought Beth didn't pull it off well and she should have been in the rumble too, I'm guessing Rhea and Finn or Damian against Edge and Beth

As predictable the rumble winners, delighted for Rhea as she has been build up great

Sami deserves a world title match and win

Logan does put in the practice as he pulls off the moves better than some pros

Did the men's rumble have only 29, no one took Rey's place?

Nope, no one took Rey's place.

Will Rey and Cody have a match to decide the true winner

I'd be ok with her going for Charlotte if the Smackdown women's division wasn't a complete dumpster fire.

Would prefer Bianca personally I think that's a money match and something new for Mania at least.

Loved the ending to the main event and the similar actions to when Rollins turned on the Shield. Surprised Cody didn't come out to 'make a statement'. Very interesting where this story is going now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have a feeling it’ll be this

Sami versus Reigns at elimination chamber, Jey sides with Roman and turns on Sami and costs him his title match.

Sami/KO face and beat the USOs for the tag titles at Mania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"This ring is yours when you're with us. Otherwise, go do Jackass shìt."

Roman has become so good.

So many massive pops in one segment. The tease of the chair shot, the actual chair shot, Jey leaving, people thinking for a split second that Solo was helping Sami and 50,000 people chanting "Fùck you, Roman!"

Great ending.

If only they allowed Blood, if so could see a right blood bath for SamI

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I thought the men’s Rumble wa brilliant, but not particularly memorable, if that makes sense. I wish there was more surprises, but the Cody/Gunther stuff was incredible, and the Logan Paul and Ric O Shea spot was incredible too.

Rhea doing the iron man was brilliant, and she’s such a superstar.

But both were missing the big moments I’ll remember in 10 years, I think.

Closing segment was one of the best I’ve ever seen in pro wrestling. It’s a shame they’re going to ram Cody into the story cause the Bloodline deserve THE top spot at Mania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Loved Lesnar just cleaning out Corbin.

And as much as I dislike Logan Paul that set up with Ricochet was excellent

• Advertisement

I was trying to think of segments better than that one last night and I'm struggling tbh. There's been some amazing stuff done such as Austin's beer truck segment, Rock/Hogan setting up their match but I don't think either match the emotion and layers of last night.

Rhea teasing going after Roman.

So aftermath rumours are KO/Sami and USOS are going to main event night one of mania and Reigns/Cody night 2.

Makes sense! The bloodline and Sami deserve a main event slot after keeping this story going.

I wouldn't mind Drew and Sheamus getting a tag title run, I do enjoy them together

Gunther shone in the men's rumble, him against Drew or Lesnar or Rollins all would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is it only me that found the booking of Cody's win a bit odd , like comes in at number 30 , teams up with his bitter enemy to bully the "dastardly" heel who has lasted over an hour , and then heroically beats the crap out of him and throws him over, I honestly felt bad for Walter (im not using that silly gunther name) at the end

As someone said it works better if Cody starts at number 1 than him coming in at 30 but with Rhea going bell to bell they probably wanted a different dynamic I guess.

Yeah that was it alright. They're definitely planning an angle there... it might be that they feel it's too early for Cody to be getting in Roman's business with the Bloodline stuff working well by itself for the moment. So Rey works as a nice little side story in the meantime. Someone posted yesterday that Rey's too nice to demand his 'play off' spot, but it could work the other way - we could see some controversy over what to do, with Cody then straight up offering to fight him for it at Elimination Chamber. Gives him something to do to stay away from the bloodline for the next 3 weeks and gives him a big match to help rebuild his momentum after so long out too.

Other option is Rey being included in WM as a triple threat, giving Roman a way to lose one of the belts without getting pinned. Could then see Jey taking the Smackdown belt off him clean at Summerslam to end the Bloodline era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They should have left that chair shot for the elimination chamber with it being in Montreal, Sami doing that in his home town would have blown the roof off, guess now it is going to be a major beat down there to get some big heat instead.

Is Ciampa injured ??

Few main roster regulars not even on the card let alone the rumble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That was one of the biggest pops ever last night.

• Advertisement

Sami is getting a title match at EC on Montreal. That’ll be a massive pop in it self. And Jey will get massive heat when he turns on Sami.

While I don’t like the guy you can’t fault Logan paul for giving it his all every single time he wrestles.

Who had the most eliminations, was it Gunther, I don't really remember any of Cody eliminations except maybe Dom

Rey was pulled over an injury apparently and Nia is back full time

Where was Dexter?

Was the Nxt champ always in the rumble match as with Perez?

It's like HHH got fed up with people criticising the decision to bring back Hit Row so decided to go even worse and bring back Nia Jax.

I think I remember an NXT champ in it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That Pitch Black match was.....well, it lived up to expectations.

I think the Bray stuff might take centre stage post Mania but they really have to do something between now and then to get it back on track. Knight was the highlight of that feud even though he was treated like a chump.

Having said that, Bray's story doesn't bother me half as much as the people jumping up and down in anger over it. It can get better, the live audiences still seem to dig him, and right now it's not a major part of the Road to Mania. So ultimately while the story has been frustrating, it's doing little damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

You'll get Mysterio vs Mysterio at WrestleMania (guest ref Jake Gyllenhaal?) and like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Letting Roman have such a dominant grip on both titles for so long has definitely been a detriment in this instance. Because if Roman had 1 title and someone else had the other then Roman can finish the story with Sami while Cody enters a fresh story with the other champion. Cody is going to be so out of place being inserted into an already established storyline. I almost fear that he'll be an afterthought going into Mania.

Cody could choose to go after the NXT Title

Tbf The Usos (Jey in particular) have been instrumental in this storyline too and deserve their own stripes at Mania.

• Advertisement
Advertisement