Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Has anyone here been to Lismore? It's a tiny, narrow road town with little or no amenities to accommodate a load of extra people living there. There is a bus to Dungarvan and Tallow but for things to do during the day not much except a library and community centre.

It's a tourist town with it's castle and walks, there is nothing else really to do. The Hotel has been lying idle since 2017, it was finally sold in Sept 2018, there was issues before then with licensing due to noise etc so this probably didn't help. Planning lodged in 2021 but put on hold in 2022 as the counsel wanted more info. With Covid I would think many towns and cities will be looking for hotel space for tourism.

Don't be so quick to judge the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Don't be fooled by the National Party. A party of fringe lunatics. Don't waste your vote.

They are homophobic and anti same sex marriage. They are anti-abortion. Anti-EU. And conservative looking for a "Catholic Republic". They promote hate.

They also help spark and inflame the protests outside accommodation centres housing asylum seekers which in my view are the most cowardly actions I have seen in Ireland in many years. Utterly cowardly and shameful. Shouting at asylum seekers all night - sickening stuff. Zero honour. I am all for the right to protest but do it at the Dail or organise a march or something - don't turn up as an angry mob outside hotels etc to frighten newly arrived asylum seekers and migrants. Brave alright. Yellow.

I an an outspoken critic of this shoddy government but NP are not the solution.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭minimary

But at the same time they're terrified to actually do anything.

"while around 5,000 people in other direct-provision centres either can’t or won’t leave." what other country would put up with this?

Just the fact that we're supporting people with multiple negative decisions against them. Take away support if the initial decision and appeal has been unsuccessful, no direct provision and no other payments and see how many people stick around for years of appeals.

Also if anyone wants to write a petition that a person with a deportation order should be allowed to stay, they should have to fundraise to pay for housing, healthcare and agree to provide an income for this person for at least 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't be fooled by the National Party. A party of fringe lunatics. Don't waste your vote.

They are homophobic and anti same sex marriage. They are anti-abortion. Anti-EU. And conservative looking for a "Catholic Republic". They promote hate.

They also help spark and inflame the protests outside accommodation centres housing asylum seekers which in my view are the most cowardly actions I have seen in Ireland in many years.

To which that poster would probably reply

Here's one of their worthy contributions to the multiculturalism thread

"White supremacist", white people basically invented the modern world. I bet Dublin has has had more inventors etc than the whole of Africa.... does that not tell you something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Tbh, I think a lot of National Party policies are a load of bollocks. I dont think anyone really wants a "Catholic Republic". Same with being anti abortion.

However on their main policy of looking after the Irish people they are bang on the money...

There literally is no one else speaking out against mass immigration.... FF, FG and RTE all sing from the same hymn sheet. A functioning democracy needs opposing opinions to be heard...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Ballsbridge on Saturday was surreal. Standing outside the huge empty Jury's Hotel and then moving to the seven story deserted office block that is the former Israeli Embassy and not a sinner in either of them. Not the only empty office blocks around there either. At a time when the government is talking about requisitioning churches to put refugees in. Monty Python level comic weirdness.

Seriuosly, just go down there and look at those big empty buildings. So strange.

I'd be anti same sex marriage, anti-abortion, Anti-EU and conservative myself. I wouldn't say no to a "Catholic Republic" if you're offering.

But I agree with you, the National Party are a waste of a vote and are not the solution.

To bring this back to refugee accommodation, something very interesting happened at the protest in Ballsbridge last Saturday. At the end the NP appeared, lead by Justin, and unfurled a party banner. Protestors, mostly from East Wall, moved in on them and demanded that the banner be taken down. East Wall rules were explained to them - they were welcome to support the protest as individuals but not as a party and this met with resistance from Justin.

Most interesting of all it was explained to him, in front of everyone, that by being seen to be in conflict with the protestors over this he was advertising the fact that the NP weren't central to the protest, weren't even welcome and it was showing in a very public way that they weren't involved in organising anything.

The self defeating nature of arguing with the protestors didn't get through to Justin. He continued up Landsdowne Road bannerless and calling the protestors stupid.

This conflict between the protestors and the NP outsiders has continued on Twitter and Telegram since Saturday.

NP members expect electoral success. I don't think Justin does. He seems much more comfortable with the NP as a select and private club. A right wing men's shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This conflict between the protestors and the NP outsiders has continued on Twitter and Telegram since Saturday

Could you link to some examples please.

"Their main policy of looking after the Irish people" 😂

No thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Considering the fact that they can't even get a single council member elected, the obvious answer is tiny and unimportant. Not that that has stopped the Media and NGO's screeching from the high heavens about the far right. They are positively tumescent and erect with throbing excitement about the protests and public grumbling. To their credit, the NGO’s and moral busybodies have had to work really, really hard to create some, but finally they have some Nazi’s to fight!

Doccumentary to be released by the NGO's on the rise of the National Party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovCf9VRLnDY

Post edited by conorhal on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Incompetent owners. Same story with Ballyvaughn in Clare. Right at the edge of the Burren and close to the cliffs and the caves, the large hotel in the town is now an asylum reception centre. It was sold to a builder that struggled to run it for years despite it's prime location close some of the most beautiful and busiest tourist spots in Clare because he knew absolutely nothing about running a hotel and ran it into the ground while working behind it's bar. Fortunately for him our government just loves to bail out builders and incompetent hoteliers. He took a multi million euro contract to convert it into an asylum reception center and hasn’t been seen in the village since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Would could assume that the people most likely to leave are young, healthy, well educated tax payers, would be the same cohort who would vote current government out. However, they will be living outside Ireland, and voting isn't as easy as if you are living here. It's almost as if the government(like every other time in the past), has a magical solution to the countries problems just before an election happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Reading through these threads a lot of people comment on the lack of an alternative immigration policy that can control numbers and balance the influx against available infrastructure and accommodation.

The main parties are all pro uncontrolled immigration, but unless there is a dialogue between the government and the sections of society whom are expressing concern over immigration policy, the natural outcome would be pent up anger and uptick in support of far right policies due to people feeling like they arent being listened to.

It appears to me that there is a tinderbox situation developing and I hope the govt acknowledge it and begin to better connect with the people that are opposing the current immigration policy.

Is that the Hyland?

That hotel was always closed over winter which surprised me. I thought there would be enough people passing through Ballyvaughan to make it economically viable all year round. It preferred to eat there than in the overrated Monks or Vaughans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I'll be honest the coverage on the a Irish Times story today astonishes me. The focus has been in it being a racist "attack". Even disregarding the fact that the majority appear to be European and the same skin colour.

Should we not be far more worried that people would rather live in a tent than use the homeless services provided at over 200m per annum. This including one of those interviewed saying it was too dangerous and full of junkies.

But no let's focus on a minor argument instead of the above....

People are sleeping in tents in our Taoiseach constituency and noone bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

We have a clear alternative policy. Turn away anyone who’s arrived from a safe country seeking asylum. It’s that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

It says the campers are "Polish, Croatian, Hungarian, Portuguese, Indian and Scottish." What exactly are these people even doing in the country? Fleeing persecution or a warzone? I know we've become a dumping ground for the rest of the world, but this is now getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The attack was fuelled by racist scum as you know and being defended by racist scum so no surprises there.

Regarding the hostels, addiction is a huge problem amongst a lot of homeless. One homeless person was given a house not that long ago and a lad ended up dead in the house for a while. These people can't just be given houses. Supports and check ups have to be there to help them get out of addiction. There should be a separation between homeless suffering with addiction and homeless without addiction. It's all about providing the right supports to the right people. It's well known that the homeless hotels are full of drugs and just not safe for many. If you just gave the homeless people houses carte blanch as many suggest, it wouldn't end well without the supports in place and even then it's a constant battle. You wouldn't see some of the "protestors" target the drug dealers. I wonder what percentage of them have convictions for drugs themselves...

Well the majority of them are from the EU and apparently employed before losing their house/employment etc.

It's pretty sad they would rather live in a tent than in our homeless accommodation or go home. I feel sad for them

• Advertisement

I read in the paper the attack was mostly shouting loudly? Was there more too it?

Tbh I would br unlikely to enjoy the company of those accused, nor would I share many of their views.

I think it's a shame people have been driven to openly living in tents, and a larger shame noone seems to give a **** about it

Tbh I would br unlikely to enjoy the company of those accused, nor would I share many of their views.

You seem to be doing your fair best to down play what happened TBF.

😕

What happened?

I think anyone who physically attacks anyone else should be punished.

You seem to be downplaying people living in tents

Sorry meant to add down playing it and adding a strawman.

People having to live in tents is awful, vile scum attacking people living in tents is abhorrent.

You can just acknowledge both and move on. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

funny that people living in tents are being attacked, by people most likely living in free houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Is there any evidence of an attack though? No arrests, no damage(See aftermath video). Not to mention what is going on with the article?

At the start:

"One, a Polish man (20) told The Irish Times he had been hit several times with a baseball bat. Visibly distressed, he said his arm was not broken. “I have strong bones, but the tendons are sore”."

Then later:

"A Garda spokesman confirmed there had been an “incident on River Road. Gardaí responded quickly and engaged with those present. There was no report of any injuries and no formal complaints made at this time.”

Unless i'm misreading, its super odd. Surly this would be something the Gardai would investigate, yet there is not a single mention of any investigation.

I could post what everyone on Twitter now knows to be the truth about this "incident" and why "Kitty Holland" and "Irish Times" are trending, but I'd rather watch you slowly discover it as it trickles in to mainstraem reporting.

And all the damage the MSM will do to itself trying to downplay it.

In a healthy media culture both Kitty Holland and Ruadhán Mac Cormaic would be worrying about their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Daily Mail editor on TV3 Tonight Show saying he's had real problems establishing any info around the 'attack' in Ashtown. 'Real difficulties' for his and other media outlets getting any real info.

Ruth Coppinger intercedes to defend Kitty Holland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ruth Coppinger setting it out straight here on virgin media here now.

Serious incident and the rising threat of the far right.

Advertisement