Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got a LG C2, well this is my second one as the first broke after two days. Took me forever to set up the Framemeister on it with the PS2.

I downloaded custom profiles for the framemeister as I always felt the PS2 didn't look right on it. Looked absolutely disgusting. You could clearly see each interlaced frame. Turns out the standard settings look fine. However I think I may need to get component cables as the sound is poor quality.

Anyway I managed to turned the screen a nice tinge of pink which took forever to figure out and then I also had no sound. Some TVs have a deep colour HDMI mode which plays havok with the framemeister. Turn it off!

Anyway got to play a little bit of Gradius V and honestly that game still looks glorious. It would look incredible with a HD remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is the LG C2 that good? I keep seeing mention about the place.

^^^^ re Jonnie mnemonic Don't forget the Concord airliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

RetroRGB had a video complaining about the C2 having major lag when put in 4:3 mode for use with some scalers output resolutions

They look amazing for modern games. HDMI 2.1, Variable Refresh Rate and auto game mode and all that good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, pretty much the best gaming tv on the market with all the bells and whistles(4k120, vrr etc). The new G3 this year will be better as it's 60% brighter, but that is a much more expensive tv.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have never looked back after getting an LG CX a few years ago. Great TV for modern gaming, but even better it's an absolutely perfect TV for film once you cast motion smoothing into the fires of hell (which is thankfully very easy to do :P).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lag for me wouldn't be a major issue. Just need something to play the PS2 on since I'm still not happy with how it's emulated.

I really want one for modern gaming. I have an older QLED Samsung in the living room but want to move everything away from destructive toddler hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Yeah. Had a look into this last year when looking to pick up a smaller secondary screen that would have use with retro stuff and ended up forgoing the new model (at the time) and went for the C1. There were some fairly damning videos doing the rounds with regard to the lag introduced in 4:3, which can be quite noticeable added in the already inherent lag added to the loop already.

Not sure if it was ever resolved, and had been unaddressed for months trawling through AV Forums and, frankly, probably too niche of an issue to have been properly addressed via firmware by LG, but don't know for certain. No more than a bug more than likely given its performance in 16:9, but a potential stumbling block too far for some. With the modern stuff, it's a fine screen for gaming (some raised black issues to be fair, plus the lack of DTS support depending on your setup), and subject to a number of deals every now and then, especially when the C3 range lands i would imagine.

The 55 inch CS was going for €900 in the January sales which is a bargin, it's essentially the C1(wbc screen and chassis) with the Alpha 9 Gen 5 processor from the C2 for €400 less than the C2. It's now gone up to the same price as the C2 which is idiotic.

The CS is the one to look at if on a budget as I would expect that to come back down below the €1000 mark in the next couple of months when the 2023 range of OLEDs start turning up.

• Advertisement

True, it's essentially a C1 screen with the brains of the C2, but there is no doubt the C2 has a brighter panel (have no idea if the 4:3 thing was addressed, but given its still running the show, it could be still present), and performs better in daylight. The EVO panel was certainly an improvement, and while some later C1 models did get manufactured with said screen, I've no idea whether the CS range benefitted in the same regard. The release always had the air of LG moving old panels without another refresh.

x3 range will be brighter again, but will obviously come in at RRP. I'd expect all prior ranges to drop a little to move stock. Believe DTS are back onboard as well for the '23 season.

Going to read up on that 4:3 input lag issue and maybe test it. It took about 2 hours to sort out my PS2 issues so by the time I got it working it was bed time. I see a lot of issues are with a mister outputting at 1440p which would be a non standard resolution and would need to be upscaled with inherent lag introduced. I'll see if I get noticeable lag at 1080p.

Worth a test alright Retr0, as its quite possible things have been improved but as of about 9 months back the issues were present with the 4:3 mode

My Life in Gaming done a decent bit on it among others

Larger test out with the other models here, where I think they touch on the issues as well

It's entirely possible it has been addressed, but it's also such a niche bug that it's never been on the cards for a fix. Never heard directly whether it was still a thing, just a lot of references to the original findings.

Everyone is talking about the last of us again and it's mind controlling fungi and yet true gamers know that, as always, Nintendo did it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just had a look at those videos.

No wonder Im not getting issues. The RGB framemeister will output at 16;9 to the tv but the image will be 4:3.

So no lag for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's worth playing on 32X/Mega CD? Might as well throw a few games on my Steam Deck, probably won't sink money into those systems this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭dav09

https://youtu.be/-0WghRCrhU4

Still working on editing and format but threw this review together recently. It was my first time ever reviewing an arcade, edited it together from a recent visit to Arcains in the UK, a new-ish arcade that opened there a year or two ago. Decent spot but definitely a lot left to be desired too. Lots of both retro and new games there.

32X, Nothing. Maybe Chaotix if you want to hurt yourself and Kolibri if you want to play the best hummingbird based shooter on 32X

Seriously, it has one of the best virtua racing ports with exclusive content. Star Wars Arcade is good. Tempo is fun.

T-Mek and Metalhead might be good?

Mega CD there's plenty:

Shinging Force CD

Robo Aleste

Snatcher

Popful Mail

Lunar and Lunar 2

Sonic CD (not wild about this game)

Silpheed

Keio Flying Squadron

Batman Returns (just play the 3D stages)

Night Striker

Road Blaster

Heart of the Alien (more a curiosity than good)

Flink

Ground Zero Texas

Thunder Hawk

Lords of Thunder

Mansino of Hidden Souls

Both Ecco games are way better on Mega CD and have new content and incredible soundtracks

Battlecorp

Soulstar

Wirehead

Android Assault

The Amazing Spider-Man VS The Kingpin

👍️

Aye. As long as your outputting in a native non-4:3 everything should be grand. So the likes of MiSTer, other FPGA devices or scalers/RetroTinks etc should be fine as long as you stick to 720/1080p that doesn't require the image aspect ratio to be manually adjusted in the TV aspect ratio settings. The issue I guess comes about depending on the nature of the setup and what method they use to interpolate the signal from an old device into the modern connections, or much more of an issue is if someone wants to use the Retrotink5x 1440p output to take advantage of the best output possible. In this case there's no way around it and you have to drop to 1080p so as to not trigger the 4:3 change.

Such a stupid bug, but one that only introduced itself in the C2 range. There's already so much lag inbuilt into modern setups, whether that's via the panels themselves, scalers, AV receivers....even wireless controllers, relative to old proper setups that the last thing you need is a near trebling of such purely because you want to play in direct 4:3.

• Advertisement

With the OSSC, some input modes expect you to flip to 4:3 also, such as line doubling 480p, so watch out for that too.

The RetroTink5x seems to handle that sort of thing a bit better without any messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Robert Nairac

AOE 2 with a controller is tricky

You can use usb kb & m with it. If you need cheap ones the Trust ones work on Xbox.

Some useless info but I can definitely see the influence in hard corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah the vast majority of the 32X's best titles are it's ports. Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, After Burner, Mortal Kombat 2, Space Harrier, all were probably one of the best home ports for a while in the 90s. Can all be played in much better forms nowadays though so they're pretty redundant from a gaming point of view.

As an 'experience' though, there are lots of 32X games to play. Purely to see how bad gaming can get if a console and it's software are rushed. 😀

If you ever think a fairly run of the mill mediocre game is bad, fire up Motocross Championship or Cosmic Carnage for a bit of perspective and realise that at some point, somewhere, a kid got a 32X and one of those games for Christmas :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's hard to say who to feel more sorry for, the kid who got a 32X or the one who got a Jaguar.

If you got a Jag, the only thing worth playing was Tempest 2k, at the 32X had a few more great titles, as you describe above O1s, and you still had the Megadrive and its later releases to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been waiting for something on eBay for a month now, the seller tried again this week but apparently registered parcels are only for business accounts at the moment and Parcel Force untracked isn't ideal as it's expensive and hard to find at a good price.

Anyone know any cost friendly, tracked options from the UK? Otherwise I'll just have to wait another few weeks.

Depends on the size but the best bet other than RM would probably be DPD, you'll end up paying more in clearance fees though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

Maybe try addresspal ***shudders***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I watched the recent video by Macho Nacho on his PS2 Mini console. Apart from the mod itself, the pcbway 3D printed case caught my eye. It's done using UTR8000 material and a coated finish. It looks great if you like that transparent look, so I thought I'd like to get something printed for myself.

I wanted to see how much it would cost for a full Amiga 600 case. Spoiler alert, its pricey :0/

It might be an option for people looking to get a smaller case printed that looks more professional than a basic 3D print. But if you go large the price jumps very quickly.

Another example I found on twitter of the same process.

Advertisement