Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What kind of crowd is at this??

Trying to decide to go to this or Body and Soul. Obviously this has a much better line-up but been to Body and Soul and loved the vide and overall experience of the place.

Impressive line up but I have seen all of those acts bar Candi Staton in the last 5 years, several of them multiple times.

Will consider attending however as its only a short hop from Dublin and Body and Soul has been a malingering mess sense about 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

some great acts this year, I loved it last year, but then I've only been to 2 Irish festivals. Already have tickets for next year. Surely they must have more stages for BTP with all these acts?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

I've to eat my words after my little rant there but you are right! They have always had the festival on the closest weekend to the Solstice whether that's the one before or after. Last time the Solstice fell on the Wednesday of the week in 2017 they had it the following weekend... This is the first time they haven't followed that rule, so it's fairly understandable why BTP felt it safe enough to schedule that particular weekend this year.

I know they are in competition but it would have been nice if they'd communicated with each other as there's a serious overlap in the target market for both festivals that will only damage them both - moreso B&S as BTP has the benefit of being the fresh new and exciting one.

I'll still be heading to B&S this year as I think Ballinlough Castle is such a beautiful and magical venue with the woodlands and walled gardens. I'm also a lot more excited to see Moderat than any of the BTP lineup so far. Hopefully BTP will hugely improve their setup and make better use of the lovely location than they did last year and the festivals will avoid clashing in future so we can go to both again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thats a cracking lineup on the face of it, tho a lot of "DJ sets" in there which can be really hit and miss. If we didnt already have our body and soul tickets we would definitely be giving this a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭El Director

Anyone got a Spotify or Tidal playlist for this? The line up is quite something, made me sit up and take notice. As well as B&S being on around that time please note that Night & Day festival is on the 24th/25th of June in the wonderful Forest Park in Boyle, Co. Roscommon. I think the first announcement is on Jan 20th. LAst years festival was, in a word, lovely 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Hoping to go this year. Is it free flow booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Yeah free flow

yes and delicious whiplash beer on tap, 7e a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Annd9

Surprise act being announced for this on Thursday morning , any ideas who ?

• Advertisement

Herbie Hancock

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Announced special announcement on Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Was on it and didn't spot it. Just that it's a legend in music biz which does sound like it could be him alright.

Not Herbie, female diva.

played ireland a bunch over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Grace Jones? That'd be another great name for them if so

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Grace Jones announced

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That's a pretty stonking line up there now, some big hitters there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Body and soul can’t compete on a line up front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

What is the story with them. Aside from Moderat it was a pretty weak first announcement.

They just seem to be limping from year to year. Are they breaking even.

Post edited by Ricosruffneck on

• Advertisement

outgunned and outspent by other festivals over last few years has made it impact diminishing. Gambled on headliners over the years that just didn’t work or draw crowds hoped for.

bad programming as well. Mogwai played to a few hundred people last year on the Sunday evening.

Plus people Artist expectations even though b&s 10 times smaller than EP but roughly same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Nice lineup.

Trying to decide between this and Otherside Festival. Doesn't seem to be many reports on the latter - was anyone there last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How can this small festival afford all these big acts, I tell you something there's going to be a lot of clashes at this one. Also the dates in the thread title are wrong its 16th - 18th June not 10th - 12th June.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

New festivals lose money in their first few years, overdeliver in initial years, build up reputation and sort out organisational issues. Increase capacity year by year and then you eventually have a successful festival.

investors in festivals know this. How else do you think EP/forbidden fruit etc going. They weren’t profitable for years

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭crl84

Thread was started for the 2022 festival, and those were the dates.

Can't edit it to change, and people have just used this thread for the 2023 festival....

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

What does free flow mean? Can bring cans into music away from campsite?

Free flow = free to bring booze wherever you like.

So to me it looks like the line up is way bigger than last year. Will there be extra stages? All I remember is the main stage and a little tent, and some kind of DJ 360 booth thingy. But then I was pretty f*cked up for 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

The tent was not that small, maybe 2-3k capacity, I was there on the Sunday and saw Lisa Hannigan (it was packed), the 360 DJ thingy was pretty cool. Under pressure I bought weekend tickets , the biggest issue last year for me was the sound cutting out multiple times during Orbital. If similar happens this year I will be holding a one man picket/demonstration outside in 2024!

As far as I know, capacity is the same this year so they will hardly add more stages. I thought the site worked well.

Advertisement