Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Connolly now with 2 goals and a pre assist. He was unimpressive in general play since the first goal but took his second goal expertly even if it looked offside.

sinclair Armstrong impressive since coming on at half time. He’s not a baller or anything but he can stretch and disturb defenses

Good birthday so far for Connolly as he gets a second with twenty minutes left for his hat trick.

Connolly goes off, QPR’s defence makes me wonder how long their new manager will last but Connolly last touch before going off would do justice to Neymar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hopefully doesnt go to connollys head. Keep working hard and prove us all wrong. Would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Hull is the right place to go to apparently if you need a bit of room for your big head.

Good to see Connolly scoring goals again.

Still only 23, Venice must’ve been some kind of R and R thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Another tattoo incoming 🤣

I have never been a big fan of Connolly but would be delighted for Ireland if he can be a success

Michael Obafemi officially a Burnley player though interesting it says a loan with an option to buy rather than obligation to buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I saw that. If he is not a success at Burnley then where is he? He has essentially burnt his bridges at Swansea so big few months for him

Swansea should have just took the £2.5m they were offered at the start of the month. Now they've probably gotten a smelly few pence loan fee and could still end up stuck with the player next season.

Could be clauses that in the event of x,y, or Z they have to make it permanent but either way it's a good deal for Burnley. If the attitude issues follow him they can just tell him **** off back to Swansea we don't want you.

• Advertisement

Regardless of how michaels loan spell goes i doubt he'll have any issue finding a championship club next year.

We badly need him to find form though. Blistering pace isnt something we have to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I just dont see him getting in the burnley team. I also dont buy the notion hes championship proven and too good for the league. He had one purple patch in his entire career, i think Burnley is a poor move for his career as they will get promoted, spend more money and he will struggle even further for gametime when he needs it badly.

I wouldn't be that confident. If he fails at Burnley he is a risky option for other clubs. If he is a partial success he may be offloaded anyway if they get promoted as they may splash some cash for a proven EPL striker. He needs to be fairly prolific for the rest of the season to follow them into EPL imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If himself and Ferguson could click should be a great combination. 5.5ft and 6ft. Quinn and Aldridge for 2023

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I agree to be honest. I would sympathize with the Swansea manager who trusted Obafemi and started to get the best out of him and five minutes later the player wants to leave. Obafemi just seems very immature and it surprises me that Kompany even wanted him.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Hardly five minutes later as he didn't want to leave until Burnley came in with a bid for him and wouldn't blame him for wanting out of Swansea and joining Burnley. Be different if he refused to play arriving back for pre season.

Can easily see why Kompany would want him. Ashley Barnes was the first choice for Burnley and looked poor. You had a player in Obafemi who finished the season like a house on fire and played in a team who played similar to how Kompany wanted Burnley to play.

Whatever about his attitude issues that will be for Kompany and Craig Bellamy to decide between now and June if the players gonna be a pain in the hole or worth signing.

Brighton going with a possible two up top with both Ferguson and Welbeck starting today. Kelleher takes his usual spot of warming the bench for today's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

There's always Hull. Hull Vice-Chairman Tan Kessler on Connolly:

"Aaron was in a rough patch. We found this to be a city that welcomed us, so we thought we would be a club to welcome players that have perhaps had some ups and downs in his career.

We felt that we could bring him back, make him feel at home and with Liam and his staff's guidance, we'll get the best out of him and maybe turn him into a long-term story."

They are doing the same thing with Turkish International Ozan Tufan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,199 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hopefully Doherty's agent is tryna get him moved on, Porro arriving at Spurs will push him even further down pecking order.

Problem now is Lopetegui (Wolves) and De Zerbi (Brighton) the two teams who previously used wing backs and might have been interested in him have switched to mostly using a back 4.

He'd have to be willing to take less money and a loan to Championship if he wants to play.

• Advertisement

Jaysis we're great at having a dig at our own lads. Obafemi is the only one of our young forwards to show he can hit double figures in a really strong league. I actually think his attitude has improved of late and lets not forget his luck with injuries has been woeful. If Swansea themselves had of felt he was a disruptive influence he would have been shipped out last summer.

When Michael went through his scoring patch he also showed he could do it at international level.

Now dont get me wrong. I think he has been badly advised on this. I think he should have kept the head down and and put in another decent season at swansea. He'd have been in a much stronger postion looking for another club then. In saying that we dont no whats happening behind the scences.

I wouldnt be pointing toward his attitude these days though and i hope im right.

We badly need him to hit some form as Idah, connolly, ogbene, parrot are just not going to get us the goals and havent shown they can do it. Ferguson is still very raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ferguson should probably be on the scoresheet already, Trent block on the line cost him

Doubt he'd be going anywhere unless Spurs get an offer for him. One year left on his contract and will likely remain there as back up. They'll get more for selling Royale and Spence doesn't seem to be rated by Conte.

Ferguson didn't look good coming off after a dirty challenge which should have been a red card for Fabinho.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Obafemi confirmed to Burnley - great move for him , Burnley are on the up under the great Kompany

Red card all day long.

Klopp looks finished at Liverpool.

Would be great if Kelleher could get a move now and get games played. Every month that goes by with him sitting on the bench will be detrimental to his development.

• Advertisement

Another massive transfer fee for an LOI club. Not.

It shows financially how desperate they must be. Taking peanuts for a proven goalscorer. No doubt every penny will be invested wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thomas O'Connor and John Egan on the scoresheet in what sounds like a great cup tie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

John Egan scores for Sheffield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is it not more of a sign of the comparatively low chance of the signing being a success?

• Advertisement

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think keena’s goal tally was average outside of against a Finn Harps side that lost its way

Any chance of Allison getting sick of the club and asking for a transfer?

I don't think so. Transfer are always a risk. Goalscorers are always at a premium. I think that Sligo held all of the aces here. Maybe though they are happy with the fee. Just seems very low to me.

He scored 18 in 32 league games? That's from wikipedia though. A decent return. No doubt he is making a massive step up in the quality and levels of difficulty now at league 1 level. Chances will be harder to come by. Hopefully he does well but there is massive gulf between even League 1 and LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

I read somewhere that there was a release clause in Keena’s contract. Can’t swear to the truth of it, but if it’s the case puts things in a different. I agree it’s disappointing to see our players leave for clubs like this, but until the league gets significantly more support, it’s where we are unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Wrong thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I'm still baffled as to how no mid to lower half Premier League team didn't fancy taking a punt on Egan when Utd got relegated. He's a very decent defender.

Money and him playing in a three man defence I'd reckon. Playing in a three man defence might have turned some teams off if they wanted him to play in a two man defence and had to splash big money on him.

With Jack O'Connell out injured and having to find their third keeper in three seasons the last thing they wanted was to lose Egan also that summer. Only signed a four year contract at the start of the season they were relegated in so with three years left they would have demand a big fee for him.

Has four and half years remaining on his contract. Can you see anyone paying the money needed to convince Liverpool to sell him. Real Madrid and PSG probably the only teams that would realistically have a chance but Courtois is the same age as him and PSG have Donnarumma.

John wouldnt be any worse than what Southampton, bournemouth, Fulham or everton have at the moment. He'd give 100% anyway. To be fair he seems like the type of lad who wants to play all the time rather than warming the bench in the PL.

Gavin Kilkenny having a loan move at Charlton for a loan move. Serie A side Sassuolo reportedly submitted a bid for Luton Town and Ireland U19s Ed McJannet. Serie A side Lecce reported to have interest in him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Wrong actually, Kenna signed a new contract but only signed it because a low release fee was inserted. Club caught between a rock and a hard place. Agents taking clubs for a ride in this country is the biggest threat going forward to football here. Pimping out young players to any LOI side and only staying with the one they come through if a low release fee is in the contract so they can get their move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is a bit disappointing. Caught a few of his games for Bournemouth last year and he was excellent. Hoping he will have too much quality for League 1 and can bounce back.

Was always likely to drop into League One or find himself on the bench of another championship team. Was hoping he'd at least find a team in the challenge for the league like Coventry did rather than bottom half of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Any news on Evan Ferguson injury and how long he'll be out for. Some retribution at some point in the future on Fabinio would be just.

Probably won't hear nothing till Wednesday the latest. Depending on whether there's much swelling mightn't even had any scans yet.

Though talk that Brighton are splashing out a bit and bringing in Braga forward Vitinha. Hopefully it's got nothing to do with any news regarding Ferguson being out long term, and just a player they've been tracking and making move before others do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Deji Sotona joins Burnley on free transfer from Nice. Can't see him making the breakthrough there. Seems more suited to their U21 side but we'll see.

James McCarthy in semi retirement? No plans for a loan? His Irish caps are all in the rear view mirror it seems anyway

Good news regarding Ferguson that it's nothing serious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Looks like Doherty is going to Atletico on loan. Hopefully he gets consistent game time.

• Advertisement

Yeah their current RB is WC winner Nahuel Molina so he'll be cover for them. Interesting move though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement