Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If someone plays to the level they need to unseat one of the backrow then they'll start. The team is settled well enough now but under Farrell we've had Keenan, Hansen, Lowe, JGP, Doris, Kelleher/Sheehan all break into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Crowley should start at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Why?

We have great options at 12, Mcloskey, Aki, Osborne and henshaw when he’s back fit.

Crowley is there as a 10, that’s where he needs time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Kelleher injured, Tom Stewart called up to Ireland squad. Richly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The depth at hooker is unbelievable at the minute.

Stewart looks the absolute dogs b******s IMO, yet Sheehan is maybe the best hooker in the world. Kelleher is a top top player as we know and Herring, while different to the other three, has never let Ireland down and I'd never worry if he started for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Fingers crossed Stewart being called up is precautionary and Kelleher is fit for the Wales game. Herring is very reliable and I definitely wouldn't worry if he's involved, but he just doesn't possess the explosive quality of the other too. Having the Kelleher/Sheehan duo in the 23, with one doing 50 minutes and the other doing 30, and having that level of impact in the hooker position over 80 minutes is a massive weapon in our armoury, and losing that would be a big loss.

Likewise, it's been a long time since we've had the locking trio of Ryan/Beirne/Henderson all fit at once, which will massively strengthen our match day 23. We could be in a position where we're bringing Kelleher, Henderson, Conan and Aki off the bench in the 2nd half and really finishing games strongly as opposed to hanging on for dear life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea! He's frequently injured. Stewart is deserving. I think he'll be in the 23 within a couple of years. Kelleher is pretty vulnerable, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Best hooker in the world,lol think Marx and bongi are miles ahead of him

• Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement

So u agree with poster that Sheehan is the best hooker in the world,if u really believe that then maybe u need to question ur rugby knowledge.happens all the time on boards,hyping players up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

And we’re off, BB gets angry at opinions he doesn’t agree with.

Not when the opinion is delusional.but then again it’s the Irish way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

And yet here you are to entertain us all.

That’s the problem on Boards,the complete and utter shite that people say and believe it.it’s as bad as sitting in the aviva surrounded by daytrippers that have t got a clue.same as a leinster fan telling me today they didn’t win the URC as they didn’t want to win it.clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Suggesting that the starting hooker for the number one team in the world, might be the best hooker in the world, isn't completely crazy. Id have Marx myself but the rate at which Sheehan is progressing could see that change. They are definitely a lot closer in ability than they were 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can you reccomend a rugby forum you like.

i found the reddit thread with a detailed theory of how you were a Rassie Erasmus sockpuppet kind of entertaining but not really an advertisement for the forum as a Rugby forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Always angry. It’s an odd way to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Since it looks like the Marx isn't coming to Munster, I agree that Dan Sheehan is the best hooker in the world.

If Marx and Sheehan went to market and were picked up by one of the French teams Marx would absolutely secure a higher salary. Whether that automatically makes him a better player can be debated but he has a higher profile, is a world cup medal winner (benched the final) and has been one of the best hookers in world rugby the last 5 years.

Marchand would have an argument as the best hooker in the northern hemisphere but I don't think he has anything at all on Sheehan outside of the set piece. I don't rate any of the English, Scottish or Welsh options comparably. I don't particularly rate Fainga'a, and whilst Taylor and Coles are both established and proven test hookers I felt that Sheehan was the best performing hooker during the summer tour.

It's not at all unreasonable to suggest that Sheehan might be the best hooker in world rugby right now, highly debatable but not unreasonable.

Very unreasonable to throw your toys out of the pram at the mere suggestion however.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This place is crazy, ridiculous and offers absolutely nothing. And yet he still can’t help himself but come back and absolutely can’t help himself but reply. It must be awful to have so little in your life that you choose to spend it somewhere you don’t like and don’t rate just so you can hate post. Poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Anyway...

Kelleher isn't ruled out of the game yet but great to see Stewart involved in camp nonetheless. He'll be capped sooner rather than later so this is will be a good experience for him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would say that Marx is probably the best. But, Sheehan will get by him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Marchand is the second best groundhog front rower in the world after Marx and it's a close contest. He's probably the best ball playing hooker around and his scrum and lineout work is second to none.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If we're taking all bias out of it, I think it's pretty hard to argue against Marchand being the best hooker in the world currently. He's been unbelievable for France over the last year. He's an absolute unit, unbelievable on the deck, great darts and carries very well. Malcolm Marx would be no.2 as Marchand's darts are a bit better.

In terms of footwork, speed and ball playing ability, nobody comes close to Sheehan. Dane Coles at the peak of his powers is who I'd compare him to the most. I suppose it depends what you want. If you want someone who'll stand out in the 15-metre channels and get the ball in space, you want Sheehan. But Marchand and Marx probably give you more in the scrum and more raw power in the tight exchanges, but they couldn't do some of the things Sheehan can do with ball in hand. I absolutely believe Sheehan would be a world class no.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don’t really understand why the narrative is Lowe, Furlong and Sexton are all shoe ins to start but Bundee isn’t?

Sexton is an obvious one but Larmour and Bealham haven’t exactly been poor recently and might be worth a start on the wings / tight head this weekend. I’d actually personally like to see Byrne from the start too this week

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don’t really understand why the narrative is Lowe, Furlong and Sexton are all shoe ins to start but Bundee isn’t?

Because Lowe, Furlong and Sexton have not been dropped by their provincial coach.

I think there is a decent chance Aki starts, but its clearly a different situation.

Advertisement