Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I admit they don't ALL have flat roofs but a lot of new council developments have questionable designs. In a lot of cases, they don't complement existing housing stock in surrounding area.

Take this example in Rathbane:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Isn't it a case that council housing usually all looks similar because it is cheaper than having to design bespoke pieces all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's generally not like the council, or any government agency, to think with such smarts. If they did then O'Connell street would be finished by now and not have the "bump" at supermacs as it would be cheaper to build a straight road.

But maybe they got something right

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't see an issue with it. I haven't been in there to see it personally, but there many already infill houses and apartments built in Rathbane that are completely different to the original stock. The original estate is hardly bespoke either. Just a carbon copy of most council houses that were built nationwide in the 1940s and 50s.

A simple glance at the recent social housing developments around Limerick recently shows that they are very obviously built to set of standard designs.

O'Connell St has zero relevance to social housing and is the eptiome of something that had to be bespoke because it's a once off.

• Advertisement

Not sure if it's still the case but when you drive round the countryside you see identical schools, Garda stations and Post offices from back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

There's no such thing as free parking - someone has to pay for it. I wouldn't use California or North America as good examples of transport planning.

Surely the council have to pay for insurance and upkeep on the place.

Sure, but it's 100% free to use by car drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

I had forgotten about this project as it's so long since it got planning, but Conack are to start construction of the new Primary Healthcare Center at the South Court Hotel in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The South Circular Rd Active Travel scheme looks like it will be hard to get through planning. Be an interesting vote.

Brian leddin on Newstalk with PK this morning answering questions. Willie turned doen the invite to speak

The majority of local residents are against it. We're supposed to be living in a democracy, so if the affected people don't want it, it shouldn't go ahead.

And if the local residents on your drive to work voted to close a road I suppose you would be just as worried about democracy.

South Circular is so tight car just have to wait behind my bike anyway so personally I couldn't care about a cycle lane as I don't get unsafe passes there.

But this "local residents" thing is a 2 edged sword.

75% of submissions on this were against it. It would be pretty undemocratic for councillors to vote for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Brian Leddin talking about 1,000s of families using it, I assume he's talking about over a year rather than daily/weekly

Similarly I think he's over inflating the numbers he expects to see using the train to Adare for the golf in 2027.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Yeah, local media has given far more coverage to residents "concerns" than to the actual new piece of infrastructure. They're obsessed with hyperbolic clickbait to drive traffic to their websites.

It's a very well balanced scheme in truth and the designers have been responsive to suggestions made. They've added extra parking spaces to side streets and the one way system is to be extended from Gerard Street to Mallow Street to preserve parking on that stretch.

The pinch point is the narrow stretch between Summerville Avenue and Laurel Hill Avenue. Two thirds of space here is given over to cars between parking and a traffic lane. The footpaths are ridiculously narrow with barely enough room for two people to pass. You can forget about it if a buggy is coming against you. The situation is even more of a joke when you consider the footfall with the number of students accessing schools and a third level college.

No private property is being acquired as part of the project and residents have no ownership over the parking spaces along the road. They're the property of the municipal authority and as anybody who has a residential parking permit will be aware, can be revoked at any time.

This piece of infrastructure is badly needed and Metropolitan District Councillors would be incredibly foolish to forgo €6 million in funding!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

On top of what Vanquished said, every last property has some access to off street parking, whether that be a drive at the front, or a lane with garage space to the rear.

The only portion of SCR that doesn't have any rear access or driveways is from the redemptorists to Alphonsus St. and at that only the properties on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm not a fan of ledden,Greens or big into put cycle lanes in for cycle lanes for cycle lane caar is bad sake brigade but I think in general everything is met with big resistance in Limerick one way or another and we are in a mess over it just because 75% are against it doesn't make it wrong , I'd understand some of the resistance and I'd be resistant myself on some changes to some degree but once there is engagement and some thought out plan id be happy with progressing and we need to start progressing with active travel areas and get to having a good workable road & cycle infrastructure that works and improves the city in general and flow of cycle and car traffic as now it doesn't work that good .

At the end of the day the on street is public domain so needs to be treated as such and not an entitlement, you see it all over Dublin where the on street parking has been totally eliminated ,I know with engagement and works completed by council to fix /create accesses maybe ? The fact that they are working with suggestions and engaging is good.

• Advertisement

you see it all over Dublin where the on street parking has been totally eliminated 

This is grossly incorrect, on street parking has been reduced and eliminated on some streets in Dublin but there are lots of streets that sill have on street parking there.

ok bad wording " some on street parking in areas has been totally eliminated " i never said it was all totally removed !!

Cool, remember too that a lot of the spaces were removed after the M50 and the DART were provided and some were removed to provide the LUAS. We have no infrastructure compared to that, I think the LNDR would help cars avoid the city but that's on the back burner and the current Green TD/Party are not even interested in providing it. Personally I think the more through traffic you can take out of the city the better.

Fully agree, I think that road in general in its entirety is long overdue... The current section being completed doesn't add much or enough to move it around

I think the Greens should be pro LNDR as a way to facilitate the various bus lanes and cycle lanes.

Just building as an extra road won't work. You need to also make the roads through town less attractive than the LNDR. And make the tunnel more attractive by being free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The problem I have with the LNDR is the type of development that will follow.

Apart from the new town that UL are championing which will hoover up a lot of scarce private investment at the expense of other parts of the city, it's inevitable that the fields between the existing city and the new road would be filled with new housing sprawl, just like what's happening in Mungret.

These new estates would bring more people who are reliant on their cars, inevitably creating more traffic until the LNDR ends up like Childers Road Mk. 2.

Maybe I'm being overly cynical but I don't trust those in charge to prevent this from happening.

That's the thing it needs to be used correctly which probably won't happen.

It seems beyond comprehension to build a new road and houses and also a new bus route. LSMATS will change that but I won't believe that plan until I actually see it happen.

Change the planning laws, the zoning of land to prevent this. Don't hold the rest to ransom just because someone will want to make money somewhere.

As long as John Moran is a director of the tunnel company I think we'll have more stick and less carrot. He seems to have more power than citizen Joe Bloggs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Bus lanes to where? A field in Parteen? And the cycle lanes will only facilitate lycra clad MAMILs who cycle for fitness, not those of us who want to cycle from A-B.

Advertisement