Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well we can't see what either of us is doing. So even if AMK decides to do ten runs tomorrow I won't see it and it won't impact what I'm doing. I'll only get one chance to get out tomorrow. The rest of the day will be snotty noses and annoying kids ...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

How it started! (& he did start it!)

SB had a 43.5 mile advantage on 22nd Nov................just saying

We should probably have a cut off point or an agreement that we only run once or something like that.

I'll unblock you when I'm done my run. I'll let you have the grace to tell people of my Victory.

In my defense....................that was posted before you ran that day so the gap was really only 30 miles. You were averaging in or around mid to high 50 weeks. I was tapering for a half marathon plus a recovery week.....so this was all very well thought out and fair from day 1.

All that said I'm sick of it 🤣🤣🤣

As soon as I have run tomorrow I'll be sharing on Strava.

Run early then, will you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

why don’t you both agree on the same time to go out for a run? Like both start at 9am.

And then see who does more?! 🙂 might be an interesting way not knowing what the other does, if he is finished or still going etc (then again, I would call either of you Crazy if you are really invested in that)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Enjoy your final runs of the year tomorrow guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jayus, this really took off, just slightly too late to be nominated for thread/event of the year.

Good luck to both of ye, both winners at the end of the day!

The results are already in D. It all played out on strava today in an epic penalty shootout .

I feel like I have the post marathon blues.

• Advertisement

Thursday 29th: Legs were a bit meh at the start of this - but still went out with the intention of doing more than 7 miles - SB was probably going to do 10 - so needed to keep the miles up.

Side stitch was still a bit evident but not as bad.

I done 7.3 miles (8:13 pace) and came home to find out the SB had done 11.3miles.

At this stage he was 2 ahead.

We agreed to block/mute each other - so we'd be blind to what each other was doing - it would ruin a bit of the banter, but would be some good 'different' fun.

Once Blocked - I went out for a sneaky 2nd run - 3.6m at 8.50 pace - nice and slow.

I was now ahead by 2!!

Friday 30th:

A very windy day - I had a steady run on the cards with 5x30secs to follow - was out again on the Thursday PM - so a bit fragile.

I was also in work on Friday - so an early start was on the cards.

While Paul and I were involved in a bit of a mileage battle - I had to be sensible about it otherwise my coach wouldn't approve - also needed to mind the body - with too much festivities going on around me and plenty of sessions - it was an injury waiting to happen - that been said - I was doing the most I could - no holding back too much.

I got out at 1.15pm (lunchtime) - I kept the 'steady' pace to the lower end (7.2x) and made sure to include a mile WU & CD (I dont normally) - but that would be acceptable to my coach!

I sent SB a text suggesting I was going to do the 24hr/Ultra Mara race on NYE in Leixlip!

9.16m / 7.35 pace.

I stayed in on Friday night - but treated myself to a takeaway and some (more) wine.

I reckoned SB would have ran 13 today and the gap would be 2 to him - but I also reckoned he'd do 13 on Saturday - so I'd need to do more than 15m.

Saturday 31st: We kinda agreed that once our run was done - that would be it and we'd share our runs then.

My planned run was a bit of a monster anyway - 14(800@6.30 / 800@7.20) - so with a WU & CD would be close to 16-17 miles. I had reckoned that this should be enough

I done a full 2m WU and started into the run. I went down the Canal for this to Phisborough and back up to the park via the NCR.

I felt very good on this run - to the point I was getting mixed up which was the recovery and which was the rep.

The later reps were a bit difficult as I went onto NCR and the breeze was in my face. Going up the North Road and then Chesterfield/ Furze and OS road - I finished the session a bit up Whites Road.

The On Reps: 6.25 / Off reps were 7.11

With WU the session came to 16m at 6.55 pace.

I followed this off with a 1.63m cool down - normally I stop about 2-3 mins from my house and walk to properly get the body cooled down - I rant these 2 or 300 hundred meters. 1.63m in total for the cooldown.

17.63m - I felt that would be enough - SB wouldn't be silly enough to tempt injury with an extra long run? I dont think he'd ran more than 13m recently??

Result:

I got home to see SB had ran 20 miles that morning and was on 2646.1m.

My 17.63miles got me a grand total annual mileage of 2644.3 - Paul had beaten me by 1.8miles!

We swapped a few texts - one of which was Paul suggesting that I could take a look and see where I could have squeezed in an extra 1.9m. - The answer was I couldn't - there was no way, based on how I was feeling each day - Christmas day was my lowest mileage day - and I was so tired - I couldn't have done more.

SB's 20miler was epic - I did not see that coming.

In fairness, it was a deserved victory - he has a lot going on in his house compared to mine - so keeping everything balanced was so much harder for him.

He ran 72m in 6 days / I ran 67m in 6 days.

A good months running, a good weeks running - I think I took 1 day off in 7 weeks!!.

A good bit of banter and we hope we entertained you ;)

Sunday 1st: Took a day off - No Running 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You did entertain us! I, for one, kept checking in to see how the competition was going. You both did some fantastic running in the past few weeks as well as creating a bit of fun round it.

Was hoping you'd give a bit of insight into what you were thinking along the way. Bery interesting. For what's it's worth here was my perspective.

It really came down to the last two weeks as I think we were essentially even or trading places daily up to that point. I figured you could smoke me with two big weeks but was also conscious you were flowing a plan so might be somewhat limited especially on recovery days. With that in mind I figured managing to hit 60 miles in the week of Xmas would have me still close to you so that's were you got 10 miles per day from. I though Xmas day would swing it for you so was surprised to see a very short run that day.

You had me in bad shape the day or two before Xmas day when you landed a big sucker punch of a massive session. I was ready to call it quits then but the Xmas day run gave me hope. I was at my parents for Stephens day and had planned a massive run the 27th but got a text from the missus saying we had a smallie with 103 temp so I went straight home. Got out for a non monster run later that day but it was enough to get me slightly ahead I think.

The plan for the last week of the Year then was 5 x 10 mile runs and then a monster on new years eve. I had a slight lead before we went blind. In hindsight when I saw the sneaky double day I was convinced I hadn't done enough. Funnily enough I thought I would have a 3 mile lead on the last day and maybe 18 miles would be enough as you'd never run a 21 after a session the day before. It was actually the desire to hit 70 miles for the week that pushed me further. In hindsight it was a fluke really.

All in all great craic but a pain in the hole by end. Glad to be enjoying my running again! You can take it as a compliment that I follow you and measure against you a bit. In my opinion you're a prime example to follow. So consistent year after year. We're in and around similar shape too so I always closely follow. I think yours was actually the first log I followed on here. You have me on the 5k and marathon. I think I have you on the 10k and HM.? Can't recall the 10M.

Top guy and the Running King is alive and well.

All I can say is, if it wasn’t for strava and you two I wouldn’t have progressed the way i have back in 2018 as I would have never reached out to Luke for coaching! You guys (your Progress and banter) had more or less initiated that.

Have a great 2023 and may health stay with you all the way!

My Review of 2022:

** Biggest learnings **

(1) How to train 'properly' (could also read 'effectively') for a Marathon (even though I didn't end up doing DCM).

(2) How to effectively Carb Load for a Marathon.

I'll expand on the above later.

** Races in 2022 **

Jan: Donadea HM at MP - came 2nd.

Feb: Seville Marathon - wonderful city, great memories - terrible execution (poor specific training, poor race day execution, poor carb loading)

May: (1) SOTS 5k - an epic hilly race - Cash prize for M45 / (2) 5m PB in Dunboyne.

June: Clonee 10k - 9th - very warm meaning I was 1 min off my goal time! (Cash prize for O45)

July: Roscommon 10m - a lesson in resilience on a lumpy course - still a good performance.

Sept: Ratoath HM PB - still a 'meh' run.

Dec: Jingle Bells 5k - 3 secs off a PB - surprised myself!

** Biggest Disappointments in 2022 **

(1) Not racing more.

(2) Not making DCM start line.

** Greatest achievements in 2022 **

(1) 40km Training run at Sub 3 pace with no gels and no cramping.

(2) My Consistency.

** 2023 Goals **

(1) Keep consistent.

(2) Race more often

(3) Time Goals: Sub 80 HM / Sub 36 10k / Sub 2.50 Mara

(4) Do more Pilates / Yoga / S&C

i'm going to steal that format for my own log. Nicely summarised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Wishing you a more race filled 2023 AMK, you're someone who will always put in the work but there is certainly something a bit different about your training in the last while, consistency + intelligent training is a very nice formula to have going into the new year.

See you when I'm back on the roads post XC

Monday 2nd Jan: Had a session planned but also had an opportunity to run around Howth with some friends.

Obviously chose the latter and it was a stunning morning for it.

Always enjoyable - even the bits where your heart is coming out of your chest with the 2 steep inclines.

7.9 miles.

Tuesday: Back in work today - feeling a bit 'meh' - legs felt yesterdays effort.

5.1m / 8.26 pace

Wednesday 4th: Session 15x(40secs@10k/ 1min Off / 80secs@MP/ 1 min off)

This is a build on the previous session as the 10k and MP reps get a bit longer and the reps get lighter - still an hour of running though!

This one felt much better and much more in control - I ran around Castleknock then into the PP and the 5m loop from CK gate, around the Zoo and back to CK gate.

The last 5 reps were up Chesterfield into a stiff enough breeze which felt tough and the HR jumped to match it.

the 1 min off pace came in at 7.27/mile while the 10k paces and MP were broadly ok (I did get mixed up during 1 or 2 reps!).

12.33 miles (7.05 pace ave inc WU/CD)

Thurs 5th: Rest Day

I've started doing Yoga since the start of the year and have done 4 online sessions so far - 10 min each session for now and will increase it as I get used to it.

Feels good to not be chasing the mileage!! - I may build in a rest day each week - I need to remind myself that I'm not Marathon training, every now and then.

Well, in the bigger scheme of things - runners like you and me are always training for a Marathon. If in a down Phase (or in my case taking at least a whole year before running one again) 😁.

seen those pics from howth. Never actually hit the trails myself there (love that 10k road lap though) but after seeing that might have to give them a go at some point.

Friday: Legs felt in good shape after Thursdays rest day - the aim of todays run was to sufficiently tire out the legs for Saturdays long run.

45mins Moderate / 1m at 7.30 / 1m at 6.50

The moderate pace was to be 7.10-7.20's, slightly recovering for the 7.30 mile then upping it again for the final mile.

Managed it fairly well - hit the pace from mile 1 - so that's a good sign - a couple of pauses to cross a road but a decent run.

9m total.

Saturday: 90mins Steady - planned pace was 7.10

Was very windy out starting this - so decided to avoid the PP totally - I didn't fancy running uphill home into the headwind. Had a decent route planned that included the Canal and the outside wall that Borders the PP with some segments around CK village.

Actually went very well - hit pace from mile 1 again and kept it going, faster at times.

Finished up with 12.9m at 6.59 pace.

Done just over 1m cool down.

Sunday: Short recovery run - 3.5m / 8.40 pace.

53m for the week.

• Advertisement

I'm due 2 weeks of updates.

Motivation to run is still high - motivation to log on Boards is currently low.

Key Runs for the last 2 weeks;

Week Mon 9th - Sun 15th:

14x200 - went ok.

Tempo Pyramid 3/4/5/6/7/6/5/4/3 - loved this workout - all off 1 min float.

45min Steady + 5 Hill reps.

10x1km On/Off - MP on / Steady Offs - went very well -

51miles total

Week Mon 16th - Sun 22th.

10x2mins / 10x30secs / 4x10secs: Tough workout - took a while to work into it. All off 1 min steady.

12x (60secs@10k / 1min off/ 120secs@MP/ 1min off) tough little workout - 36mins of work that averaged 6.10 pace.

45mins of Steady miles in&Out - IN: 6,50 / Out: 7.30 - went very very well.

90 mins progressive - 30at 7.30 / 30at 7.10 / 30at 6.50 - last 4 miles were tough.

59 miles total.

Monday 23rd: Session: 14x300 (1min float)

Ran down to the PP as a warmup and got into this. The 300's were meant to be in 5.30's - think I averaged 5.25 - the recoveries were honest enough.

2m back home as a cooldown.

7.9m

Tuesday 24th: A good indication the the evenings are getting longer - Managed a lap of the PP before it got dark - haven't ran up the S-Bends in a while - Really liked this run.

6m / 8.20 pace

Wednesday 25th: Pre-race workout: 5x(300/500/200) off 1 min recovery (paces 5.50/6.10/5.40)

Paces were kinda all over the place but kept to the script as much as possible.

7.7m

Thursday 26th: Rest day.

Friday 27th: 30 mins steady - I probably should've questioned this with the coach - 30mins at 7.10 pace - 2 days before a race? But I didn't and ran it - felt great doing it to. Short warm up and cool down.

5.11m (7.09 ave)

Saturday: Shakeout + strides.

Sunday: Raheny 5m: Report to follow;

Raheny 5.

As is the case with all Raheny 5 race reports - it should start with: "I hate Sunday Races".

And then the proviso - Except Raheny. It really is a great event.

Theres a lot of hanging around Sat & Sunday - but kept myself busy enough and had plenty of football to keep me somewhat distracted.

I still get nervous coming up to races - the expectation of myself is still there - I suppose thats a good thing at my age.

I made it to Raheny albeit a bit late, but found parking and jogged to the hall to leave my bag. A few hellos to Dave & Son and a few others.

Done my warm up, a few drills and 4-5 strides - felt quite relaxed. I got into the pen about 15 mins before the start, thinking I'd be near the front, but as I said before, you'd need to start queuing now for next years event to get a decent starting spot. I spotted Murph & Sean ahead of me in the pen, plus some clubmates - I was wearing the green of MSB again and wanted to do it proud.

I was glad that the announcer clarified where the race mat was prior to the start - and then we were off!!

Within 30 meters I noted 2 fallers, 1 lady looked in a bit of distress.

My plan was to run under 29 - perhaps sneak a PB (28.43) - but I wanted the 1st mile to be in and around 5.50 and work into the race.

Mile 1 beeped 5.47 - I had noted that it was quite breezy in certain parts. I tried to tuck in behind people, but I'm a big lad :)

The 2nd mile was ok - I was actually finding it a bit tough in places - but the long stretch on All Saints Road helped to find the racing line and keep moving. Mile 2 was 5.51 - but I was moving ok.

I knew the 3rd mile was a fast mile, so was looking fwd to it. My pace crept up and I was moving well and passing people. But turning the corner at Mount Prospect Ave towards the park - my pace dropped substantially. 3rd mile was 5.48.

The 3 mile marker kinda work me up and I upped the pace again before turning into the park - once we hit the straight for the hairpin, there was a considerable drop off, as I knew there would be. Turned the corner and back down - 4 miles came around in 5.54 and I knew I was in trouble.

As the last mile progressed in the park, I felt like every ounce of energy was drained for me as I went over the bridge and through to the exit. I knew there was 800m to go - but the lactate in my legs was awful - I haven't felt anything like that in many many years. For the pace I was going at the the training I had done - I shouldn't be feeling like that.

I was beside Annette Kealey for a while and all I heard for the last mile was "C'mon Annette" - I nearly felt like telling her to F-Off at one stage as I was in a world of self pity. My pace had dropped to 6.20's at one stage and I felt like I was crawling through treacle.

Coming into Wades avenue, I tried to kick, didn't have it - turning the corner for the home straight, I heard the announcer say "The magical 30min barrier is key for a lot of runners, as we approach 30 mins......." - I actually said out loud "You're having a laugh" as I realised that a sub 30 was in doubt - at that stage the kick came. I really thought I'd still 29 low.

Being so far back at the start kinda stood to me as I crossed the line with 30.01 on the clock, but 29.45 on the watch.

Very disappointed with this time - its my slowest 5m in many a year - given my training over the Christmas I was sure of a good race.

But hey-ho - on the upside, I got to meet some very lovely people after the race who I hadn't seen in a while. And what a goody bag - my God, they certainly done it justice this year - its impossible to do a cool down with that goody bag!

I left the bag back at Race HQ, meeting Murph on the way - how does a man still look suave after a 5m race!! - got a lovely hug from Olwyn and had a few words with Super Joe before doing a cool down with my old but new clubmate.

I've reset my expectations for next weeks Trim 10 mile.

Raheny 5m: 29.45

Position: 281

Category: 8th M50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Have a proper easy week now and you might smash Trim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good to say hello there before A.

"you'd need to start queuing now for next years event to get a decent starting spot" ... Another classic, and so true. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

*Pokes nose in. AMK in the middle of the old Raheny-Trim/Dungarvan double. All is well in the running world 😁

Dave - the old gags are the best!!

Johnny - get your update done pronto - we love a comeback story - fighting against the odds etc etc - sure to win comeback of the year.

So - following the Raheny 5m debacle - I sent my coach a tirade of abuse and threatened him with Civil action in the courts as well as beating the b0llix out of him.........

Well, not quite - I've been thinking since before Christmas about the coaching situation and the flexibility that being 'self-coached' brings - specifically around running with others.

I've turned down so many running dates in the past number of months due to my running schedule - which has been quite intense - even 'steady runs' require a certain pace - so my opportunity to run with others got much more limited.

So I had a conversation with my coach and we parted amicably - he's a very good coach with some great ideas and a very Canova led approach to training. I'll follow his Marathon sessions going forward and I also bring a good insight into training and the importance of 'Floats' vrs 'Recoveries' as well as what I learned about Carb Loading - all Gold to me and will fuel my plans going forward. Also - his approach to growing into the sessions is very interesting, which I'll consider going fwd - e.g. every block is a build - starting at Zero - build the pace then build the time at the pace.

Running with others is very important to me and will be my Number 1 priority going fwd - As I work at home 100% and have been running by myself for many years - I do like a running date!! (even though I turned down DD today - but he hasn't got a real job! )

Another thing which I reflected on over the past number of months is how serious I have become on Boards - maybe its a lack of motivation to update, maybe its a lack of ownership to the sessions, maybe its a mix of a few things.............

So - Day Zero.

Reset Priorities for 2023.

1. Running with people more
    2. Enjoy running.
    3. Race more.
    4. The results will be the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Well we just started up a (roughly) monthly boards PP Sunday run if you fancy joining the next one for a few easy miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Only catching up now A, firstly I'm sorry Raheny didn't go as you had wanted. What looks great to others doesn't matter at all it's what we feel on the day that counts. We are the ones that judge ourselves on weither the race went well or not but hopefully like us all you learn something from it & move on.

I'm with you completely on the running with people thing. I have thoroughly enjoyed the boards meet ups & getting to meet people at races & have company for w/u & c/d, it has made a huge difference in helping me get out of the meh phase I've been going through & it really has made me enjoy my running again😊

Best of luck!

Advertisement