Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

Populist right-wing mouthpieces in the USA might say that the country needs to pull back on Ukraine, but there would be questionable wisdom in such a move especially if European countries endeavour to take up the slack. What the USA does not want is militarisation in Europe lest they have another superpower to vie with for global influence and resources. That's where having those countries under the NATO umbrella comes in so handy for America. They get an awful lot of return in terms of global stroke for paying all that money into the organisation which Trump so moronically complained about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why is the Croat president then out batting for a Ukraine climb down. There must be a sympathetic audience for his rhetoric. He's not a nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

On a scale of one too ten I will genuinely give u a generous score of two. There are a number of well argued books/ videos which would give you other arguments re a more full picture as to how Ru has ended up where it is today IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

From the Guardian:

"A former commander of Russia’s Wagner mercenary group who is seeking asylum in Norway has apologised to Ukrainians living in the country who object to his presence there.

Andrey Medvedev fled his unit and crossed the border into Norway near the Pasvikdalen valley, where he was arrested and detained by border guards. He is the first known soldier from the Wagner Group who fought in Ukraine to flee abroad.

Speaking to Norwegian broadcaster NRK and reported by AP, Medvedev said:

I’m a scoundrel to you, but I only ask you to take into account that I have come to realise that, albeit belatedly, and I spoke against all that.

He added:

I ask you not to condemn me, and in any case I apologise.

In an interview conducted in December with the Guardian, Medvedev spoke of how he feared for his life and said he had witnessed the summary killing of Wagner fighters accused by their own commanders of disobeying orders, sometimes in pairs.

He is currently living in a centre for asylum seekers in Oslo."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Amazing interview there. Geoffrey Roberts is off the wall.

He thinks that by Russia taking more Ukrainian Territory leaves Ukraine in a stronger position to negotiate and that Wester Weapons leaves Ukraine worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Russia Can’t Replace the Energy Market Putin Broke

OpinionJulian Lee

A network of gas fields and pipelines developed at a cost of hundreds of billions of dollars has been effectively thrown away.

Russia spent almost 50 years building its energy market in Europe. President Vladimir Putin destroyed it in under 50 weeks. Finding a replacement will be almost impossible.

While Russia has found alternative markets for its crude oil, mostly in India, switching sales of refined products and — perhaps even more so — natural gas will take years and come at huge cost. That’s if it’s even possible to create markets as the world turns away from fossil fuels.

That's from Bloomberg. This idea that they can keep this going for years is a fantasy. The west can and will outspend them and if they try to compete, their economy will collapse as it did before when they tried competing against just the US and Starwars.

My son, who is somewhat skilled, says they have things locked down very tight, unless you know someone in the UK.

Of course it should be available here via satellite on Freesat.

Looks like the only other realistic other options are unmentionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The US spent 20 years in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting in combat daily and lost around 7000 men and women,

11 months in Ukraine and Russia has Lost north of 110,000 men ,a high percentage of it's tank force 60% + and a sizeable portion of it's overall armor and it's aircraft jets and helicopters ,

But somehow Ukrainian losses are unsustainable according to some ,

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Of course Ukrainian losses are not sustainable. The west aren't spending billions in further support to Ukraine for no reason, it's that or they eventually fail. Russia's losses are also unsustainable.

Beverly Hills, California

Something the russians always keep forgetting when they try to alter history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes indeed, the idea that Putin can keep this war going for five years plus is surely very far fetched. You would imagine his economy and the regime itself would have collapsed long before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

You could say the same about Mick Wallace and Clare Daly.

The deluded (to infer a polite reason) are everywhere. The bought off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

I don't think even this feature will help😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Unfortunately, this may be possible. Putin just needs to carry on until the next presidential election in 2024. If the elites allow him to be re-elected, this means that he can do whatever he wants for another 6 years. And this will likely mean accelerated 'cleansing' of any real or imaginary dissent within Russia, putting everyone to work on armaments for a food ration and the continuation of the war with Ukraine into the perpetuity.

For a more detailed explanation you can watch this video from a former Russian politician, currently in exile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUnLJ8iD6g

NATO concludes a military deal with South Korea: weapons in exchange for a nuclear umbrella

It was in vain that we followed the visits of NATO chief Stoltenberg and Pentagon chief Austin to the Republic of Korea...

♦️ The US is ready to use nuclear weapons to protect South Korea from possible aggression from the North. Austin made a radical scythe on the dignity of Kim Jong Un for a reason: these bravado should be analyzed together with yesterday's negotiations of NATO Secretary General Stoltenberg. Ukraine occupies a prominent place here.

♦️ Stoltenberg convinced the South Korean authorities to change the legislation and provide heavy offensive weapons to Ukraine: "I call on the Republic of Korea to intensify the specific issue of military support."

♦️The president of Korea, on the other hand, confirmed the supply of weapons to NATO countries, which transfer part of their arsenals to Ukraine. This will free the hands of our partners, strengthening their combat readiness. Seoul does not want to expose itself to an open conflict with Russia and China, and is not ready to give weapons to Ukraine head-on.

♦️ Apparently, Stoltenberg's arrangements with Seoul were guaranteed by Washington's nuclear umbrella. Korea needs assurances that the West will protect it if needed, and Lloyd has made this public.

♦️ At the same time, the head of the Pentagon casually made it clear that there are different types of scum: some of them are forced to get along a little, but the DPRK no longer belongs to them. She will simply be wiped off the ground if Kim snaps.

♦️ This is also a bright message before US Secretary of State Blinken's visit to China, but more on that another time

Sounds good, but I suspect its going to be a long time before anything actually reaches Ukraine. The paperwork will take a long time before Korea is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

And yet

The UK is expected be the only country to shrink next year across all the advanced and emerging economies. Even sanctions-hit Russia is now forecast to grow this year.

I feel entirely vindicated in referring to them as Orcs for so long, despite all the complaints. Not that I ever feel I need vindicating.

Always ahead of the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

Banana Oil "Republic" Russia is coming from a very looooooow base. i.e. Decimated. Still, I'd be very surprised if they actually grow at all (ignoring OFFICIAL Russian Stats).

• Advertisement

What the..?

Get a move on, Zelensky.

The Netherlands is ready to consider Ukraine's request for the supply of F-16 fighter jets, but so far no such request has been received.

This was stated by Prime Minister Mark Rutte at a joint press conference with French President Emmanuel Macron in The Hague; European Pravda with reference to NOS.

"There is no supply now, and no requests either," Rutte said.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/01/30/7387215/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

USA estimates that around 100k Ukrainian soldiers have been killed or put out of action due to injury.

So by your estimates Russian losses are 800k to1 million men, or roughly double the size of the entire deployed Russian army, including new recruits.

Maths clearly not your strong point.

Hope they have some K2 black panther tanks and KAI KF 21 or KAI T50 fighter jets to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That's a more updated version of Russian figures. The 100k for Ukraine has been corrected months ago, do keep up.

It's relative to last year, when it contracted.

Russia was predicted to rise around 3% or 4% last year (prior to the war), and it fell up to 6%, which is almost a 10% aggregate drop - due to sanctions. For reference, Russia dropped around 8% in the 2008 financial crisis

Of course many were hoping for an even sharper impact, but dictatorships with totalitarian capital controls, that float on a sea of nat resources, in a year with record prices for those resources can obviously buck expectations. Still the sanctions remain, they are getting less for their resources, they are paying for an expensive war, and they are international pariahs.

On the plus side they have more toilets and washing machines. Will be an interesting few years ahead for them.

As I asked you before, how many windows does my house have?

I can count them, all you can do is guess. I'm happy to take the actual figures Ukrainian official sources occasionally provide, at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Considering the Amount of tanks they recently purchased there could be a few spare

I think that poster was referring to equipment losses.

Last I did a calculation based on verified vehicle and equipment losses, the numbers I came up with was around 4 to 1 in favour of Ukraine. Also keep in mind those figures show that Ukraine has technically captured more tanks than it has lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I think the point is for them, the risk NOT to do it outweighed the risk to move in.

At this point talking about the morality of it all for me is a waste of time, **** has happened over a long period of time in a cascade effect and the world isn't fair. I see the argument from both sides to be valid, the Ukranians have a undeniable right to defend themselves from foreign invasion and the Russians can project power if they think they are being threatened much like any western nation does. International law is handily put aside in such scenarios for all these dudes who tell the generals what to do all over the world when it suits them.

People better off listening to each other, even when you think the other side is dead wrong and compromising as any conflict can escalate wildly out of control.

Still think the best idea for everyone was, as it's probably not possible now, was to do a peace deal last year Donbass gets either autonomy or joins Russia, Crimea is recognized as Russian territory and crucially a constitutional amendment in Ukraine to rule out NATO membership.

Many wouldn't like it but hey we are living the alternative because you can't ignore might.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement