Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options
1707172737476»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The studies did not detect an appreciable difference between SAEs in the studies v background rate.

The rate is so low it was not detected in either study. One study with 20000+ being vaccinated, another with 2000+ being boosted.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

Yes, i see that the study found there is no appreciable difference, i,e nothing to see here, but the question I asked is do you find it plausible? That there are no serious adverse events leading to hospitalisation due to covid vaccines?

Or to put it another way - is it misinformation to say are no serious adverse events leading to hospitalisation due to covid vaccines?

It is misinformation to overstate the rate without precise supporting evidence of same and when there is evidence available establishing it could not be that figure.

As to whether there are any this is not a question of plausibility.

There were documented extremely rare cases with eg astrazeneca which lead to clots and in some cases death.

Moderna is not recommended for under 30s due to a rare heart risk.

This lead to changes in the age groups recommended per vaccine type.

All vaccinations come with risks.

Anaphylaxis for example.

Even the action of injecting - regardless of contents - can lead to hospitalisation. This showed up in trials both in those who received vaccine versus placebo.

The risks are extremly rare and as we have seen, monitored by the authorities and balanced against the known risks of covid and level in circulation.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Where did you get that figure ? Supply the source please .

It is striking how emphatically you can dismiss correct information.

If you have any facts or links to disprove then post them .

Otherwise this is harassment of a poster who is posting accurate information.

The information supplied by odyssey has been discussed in the vaccination thread by people who have proven they know what they are talking about and have supplied evidence to back up what they are saying .

The last few pages here are a pile on of posters like yourself who either haven't a clue and are just trying to wind people up , or have an anti vaccination agenda .

I think most people know to ignore much of what ye say and who to ask if they have a genuine question .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

This is readily available ...off you go and look it up . That is what you are asking others to do for you after all .

• Advertisement

I was simply querying if 1/800 chance for serious adverse events leading to hospitalization is misinformation what is the correct information.

1/1000, 1/10,000, 1/100,000, 1,000,000 or what is it?

Given how emphatically the poster dismissed 1/800 as misinformation, I thought he would know the correct figure. But I was wrong. No big deal.

The question I asked was "have you seen a study documenting this that you find plausible?"

The poster posted not one but two studies, in reply. I'm not sure what your point is?

We have discussed this before .

However if you have "proof " that healthcare workers have " declined " the booster please do provide it .

Otherwise I believe it is as I have explained before , on this thread.

Think I made myself perfectly clear .

And to the second post you sent me , ditto .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I believe the HSE numbers. They are capturing all vaccine data electronically since Day 1 and they have no reason to lie. And they do designate people as healthcare workers on the vaccination system. In the same way as they designate immunocompromised and different age cohorts. I have criticised the HSE many many many times on Boards but I believe their numbers in this instance.

You are free to muddy the waters with your own biases but I will believe the HSE stats over you. And by the way, the onus is actually on you to prove them wrong.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

They have stopped " capturing data " on healthcare workers infections which us very relevant , since the beginning of 2022 ! Probably for the same reason Covid testing for younger age groups was stopped . Hence we don't have accurate data since then .

Did you trust the data when it was recorded , and linked to by me and others on the forum?

Remarkable how you trust data that isn't there ...go to the HSPC site and you will see what I mean .

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/2021/

Ah will you stop. They are all 2021 links. We are talking about vaccination data. Fine, you think they are liars. I don't really care. Send a strongly worded email to RTE and the HSE for reporting false data.

Never said anything about RTE . Just you , believing data , that hasn't been recorded! 🤣

HSE urges people to get second Covid-19 booster (rte.ie)

RTE 8 days ago.

Among healthcare workers, the uptake is just 25%.

"The group that I'd really like to give a strong message to is to healthcare workers. Healthcare workers are very important and have a hugely important role in protecting our healthcare system and looking after others. At the minute, the uptake of the vaccine by the healthcare workers is too low, and so it's 25%, and that is a concern."

By age, 6% of 18 to 49-year-olds have had their second booster.

(The HSE's National Lead for the Covid-19 Vaccine Programme Eileen Whelan)

----

If you want to believe they are making up stories to have a go at healthcare workers, fine. The vaccination data is recorded. I think you're being silly now.

But we have discussed this before..as above with another poster .

That's my take, yours is to go for the HSE lead who hasn't got complete data and admitted that .

So not only do they not have accurate data for those who have been infected , but they don't have data for those vaccinated as many have been vaccinated in the other age cohorts and not registered as HCWs. She said that , but you don't appear to have got that .

It has been discussed before at length, and you and the other poster have yet to give me anything but this same quote, repeatedly, from that person which really is inaccurate and incomplete .

Good luck to you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Anybody know when they might be offering the third booster (bivalent) to those under 65 in normal health? Had second booster last August before bivalent was available. Wouldn't mind to get this one in soon...

Are you over 50? I'd be very surprised if they offer a third booster to healthy under 50s at any stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I could be 😉

But then again..... if I tell you any more I'd have to find you (and you know how it goes after that....😲).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

got a text today that I am due a booster - ignoring it.. i've a good immune system - willing to go with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Remember when the human immune system was labelled a dangerous conspiracy theory?

That's how nuts people went over this virus. Some still believe it, and are pumping themselves with 'boosters' every few months. Highly doubtful those people will ever go back to normal. Most people are voting with their arms though as the uptake of each successive shot gets less and less, despite what some would have you believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think most people fully expected the take up would be less and less with each booster and drop to the levels seen with the annual flu vaccine (you can find posts of mine to that effect). This is mostly fine as the virus isn't novel anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Some people fail to understand that the need for vaccines and boosters would eventually get less as the novel virus became just a virus. Remember being told we'd eventually be living with covid ? We needed these vaccines to prevent illnesses at the start so we could build up natural immunity too. The virus has become less vicious as most other virus do. Covid 19 is now a virus that circulates like chickenpox, flu etc. And a vaccine is available for those, as well as covid. I certainly wouldn't snigger at someone wishing to have a booster for covid same as I wouldn't for someone wanting the flu vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No one gets flu shots every few months though.

That's because flu follows a fairly predictable annual cycle. Covid variants can emerge all year round.

As actual vaccines, you would be hard pressed to provide evidence that the flu vaccine is more effective than covid vaccines. And in years where the strains in the flu vaccine don't match the circulating one, the effectiveness of the flu vaccine is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

No, because flu is seasonal, covid hasn't settled to a pattern yet. But boosters have changed as variants change which is why this current one is offered.

Flu vaccines are changed every year also, to include the most predicted one of the particular year and a few others most prevalent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

But you don't need multiple shots of flue vaccine, regardless of how up to date it is.

• I'd my last booster in December 2021 and due to a covid infection before xmas I don't think I'll be boosting until sometime in April, so roughly 16 months between doses for me.

I'm going abroad at the end of May so the timing's probably optimal.

Advertisement