Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Just as I expected. Doubling down on the nonsense that there are loads of cracking sub 100k houses for sale.

The housing crisis is nationwide. There are over 50 rent pressure zones in Ireland.

Keep digging.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's not my opinion.

If someone wants to get a home for sub 100k on this island it is more than attainable.

89k for a cottage, out buildings and 2 acres, beside lakes, walks and trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Great. It'll do as one of O' Gorman's transit hubs.

I'm sure we could pack a few hundred tents on the 2 acres with ready made toilet facilities i.e. the lakes.

What housing crisis indeed?

Well you kind of have a point.

Many people who are on housing lists are waiting long times because they want to be close to family, that removes all flexibility and of course puts extra pressure on that area and the area they currently dwell in.

Shipping 100s of them to North Clare would help ease things, but of course that's not going happen.

Really?

That is your example of a cracking house in a cracking location?

Have you even looked at it?

Removing and replacing the asbestos roof alone would put it well over the 100k budget.

• Advertisement

So you decided the roof is asbestos and needs removing? 😂

The property is close to Cloone Village which has a local shop, school, church, pubs . There are lakes nearby and amenitiy areas for picnics and walks and Cloone also has the popular Bothar na Naomh walk. The Trail proceeds around the edge of Keeldra lake and leads up to a vantage point with a fabulous view back over the lake. This is a beautiful nature walk with a diversity of trees, shrubs and wildflowers. It is within easy driving distance of local towns, Carrigallen, Mohill, Ballinamore and Drumlish. Viewing of this cottage is highly recommended for those looking for an idyllic countryside escape with the potential to expand.

IMHO, not just for the money, it is a cracking property and a cracking location.

I didn’t decide. You decided this house is an example of a cracking house in a cracking location for under 100k.

Did you look at it. The roof is asbestos. Good luck getting a mortgage on that.

Stop spoofing, you have no idea of that roof contains asbestos.

It's a cracking property with a cracking location.

I imagine it won't be for sale long.

That is an asbestos roof. I have removed enough of them to know. You clearly do not.

Go on. Post the picture on the construction/DIY forum if you don’t know yourself.

At 100k a pop, I doubt it. 😂

Again stop spoofing, you have absolutely no idea what material that is constructed with or if it even needs to be removed.

Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It appears to be in the absolute middle of nowhere.

Theres a flat roof at the back which is presumably near end of life.

Timber panelling for ceilings in most of it. Fire hazard all day long.

The loft rooms look to be in poor condition and more timer panelling on the ceiling.

We are only judging from photos but while you may be able to just about live there its far from a cracking property internally.

Overall its priced that way for a reason.

I lived in worse. 🤷‍♀️

Again the brief was a married couple both on the median wage outside the cities.

You could probably double your budget to 200k, but I said I would focus it on below 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

That's hardly a liveable home by 2023 standards.

Not a bad buy at all though but you'd be looking at a complete rebuild I'd say.

I don’t mean to be harsh but it is clear you don’t know what you are talking about.

Seriously. Post the pic in the construction forum or show it to any builder you know and ask them if the roof is asbestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

It’s a nice location but it needs a fair bit of money pumped into it.

Hardly any mobile network coverage

No broadband unless you like the tone of 56k dial up. High speed to the area projection …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

If that place has f**k all mobile and internet coverage, hopefully Boggles buys his own noise and moves out to that cracking location himself

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

No broadband unless you like the tone of 56k dial up

Elon sorted it. 👍️

I wouldn't trust any builder that would 100% confirm anything from a picture. It's the first thing you will be told from a reputable one. How many roofs did you needlessly remove? 😂

And yet you, unqualified, unknowledgeable, not a surveyor can judge by a picture that a property is “cracking”.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sweet.Science threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Back to the thread topic.

Any Irish, UK or EU citizen who is homeless should be supported by the state, wheather than be temp accomidatiin, hostel or offered to help them return home to UK or EU.

Anyone who is illegal or economic immigrant needs to be returned to their country or country where they entered Ireland. The state needs to turn back all economic migrants with no visas at the airport & ports asap, like Australia and the US does. There are no direct flights from Algeria, Pakinstan, South Africa, etc.. they are stopping in safe countries first. Under Dublin convention, we can return them to that safe country. Why for f**k sake is the Irish state not complying with these conventions and refugee agreements ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You are some spoofer.

That is an old West of Ireland farmhouse, the last resident had walk in shower put in because they were elderly and have now most likely passed away.

I know those type of houses all to well.

They are old thick stone walls filled with rubble, the place is damp and cold.

Would cost a fortune to heat and dry walling it inside will only get you so far.

And before you do anything you will no doubt have to replace septic.

Then there are the electics which to do neat job will mean chasing walls that either crumble or you run into stone i.e. nightmare.

And if that roof is indeed asbestos expect hefty bill to get it taken down and disposed of properly.

Cracking property in cracking location my ar**.

As I said you are a spoofer.

A Ukrainian would probably more comfort in a foxhole back home than that place.

Are you shure when you said cracking property you didn't mean the ones full of mica ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Here's one without the asbestos roof issue. A fixer upper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Now we have the solution!

Ship the native Irish out to damp, rotting hovels in the depths of nowhere so our government can dutifully accommodate endless oceans of people with no connection to this nation which owes them nothing.

In time, and to avoid conflict with the noble New Irish, we could set aside small, remote areas for the remaining indigenous Irish.

Maybe we could call them "reservations" or something.

Post edited by DeadHand on

It's perfectly habitable, I've lived in worse. The location for me at least is perfect, I'm not into 2 euro shops and over priced coffee shops though. So different strokes.

But you are right, the op was bemoaning the fact a 20 year couldn't purchase a house in the most expensive parts of Dublin.

Let just rant and rave online until that delusion becomes a reality, I'm sure that will sort it. 🤷‍♀️

Well tilting at windmills will certainly not get anyone a home.

"Location for me at least is perfect" lol yeah go move into that house, move into the countryside of Leitrim and inform them all of your precious continuous notions and arguments up in here that the people of Leitrim should also import unlimited numbers of people into their community, a community that has been ignored so much by the authorities that they have no mobile data, no broadband, no jobs, no healthcare, no infrastructure. Your asbestos roof will be the least of your problems.

You always know Irish people who have never travelled, outside Ireland. They believe the likes of Leitrim is akin to living on the moon, they have no concept of actual distance or remoteness.

We are a tiny Island, that place is 40 minutes to Sligo and less than 2 hours from Galway and Dublin.

mobile data, no broadband, no jobs, no healthcare, no infrastructure

Elon sorted the communication.

Work from home is now on trend.

You think they have no healthcare in Leitrim? 😂

Have they got the healthcare requirements to accommodate unlimited numbers of refugees and economic migrants the likes of you so desperately want to import into their communities?

• Advertisement

Yes i desperately want to import migrants to Leitrim.

😂

Advertisement