Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House deeds - Where to store it ?

Options
  • 30-01-2023 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

So finally paid off the last bit of the mortgage. Bank tells me that the deed should be posted out to me in a month or two. While talking to a friend he suggest to let our solicitor hold on to it ? is this common and do most people leave it with their solicitor for a fee ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

we've our parents house deeds in land and property down in the city hall, city hall or county offices usually deals with Births deaths marriages and land and property

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Our solicitor holds ours with our wills. No charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Interesting is this in Dublin ? can't find anything online about it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If you do store it offsite with solicitor etc., make sure to copy first and keep them separate. At least then you have something, when as happens with a relative of mine, their solicitor lost the wills and other documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

I ve mine under the bed in a fireproof safe ....would nt trust a solicitor with them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Having been executor to a few wills over the years, I can tell you it was so much less hassle when the solicitors already had the deeds to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Belfast, fair enough different council and jurisdiction but as far as I'm aware our parents deeds are registered with Belfast land and property and I'll have to correct myself it's not Belfast city hall, land and property is a different office building altogether. My kid sisters dealt with the deeds and I trust my sisters (to a point)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

You can rent out safe-deposit boxes for a few hundred a year. Many people do this to store gold bullion:

The smallest box is 250 per year, which should be sufficient for a deed. Otherwise, you could buy a fire / water proof safe and install it in the floor of the house. My parents have left the deed of the house with their solicitor, but as someone who used to work in the legal side of land-ownership, solicitors can and do lose things.

Congratulations on the completion of the mortgage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I thought deeds now were stored electronically in the land registry? I certainly dont have any for my current home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I would check with your solicitor could you store it with them. Most will with a small fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Need to find a solicitor first I suppose. Not even sure who we used when we bought the house.

Albeit need to get a will sorted out too.

Might be worth checking it with a few solicitors about doing a will and storing deeds. However if you have a credit union account, some credit unions offer free wills with the solicitors who act for the credit union so also worth checking out.

Otherwise make a copy of all the deeds just in case and store them otherwise in a fire proof safety box.

The newer system will only keep the original transfer and issue a folio. But any original certificates from engineers for planning etc will be part of deeds if house was built after planning and building regs came it. So they can be expensive to go back and recreate if lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you still got a mortgage outstanding? If so, then the deeds are with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

My solicitor shut without warning with my deeds 'somewhere' and no means to contact them. In operation over 100 years and poof, they're gone.

Solicitors may not provide the cast iron safety that they might appear to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

My Dad was executor for my grandmother (Mum's side) and she passed away circa 2007 - finally came to selling the house soon after; solicitor had lost deeds and didn't show much interest in trying to find them - along comes the recession and finally after new deeds had been put together etc the house was sold probably 30-40% less than what it would have sold for initially.

6 months later.. what turns up with solicitors; Yep... the deeds. No apologies.. nothing. Just a letter that we have your deeds and you can come collect.

My view is solicitors are the very bottom, or top, of that steaming pile.. would definitely not leave deeds with them because if they lose them they won' give a toss and go try find a solicitor who will take on another solicitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

No mortgage, just built the house a few years ago on farm land. Never heard any talk about deeds. House is just registered in my name in the land registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

Maybe, or maybe not.

My understanding is that there are no deeds with newer houses. You own the plot of land and everything on it and the plot is registered in your name with the land registry as such. I don’t have deeds for my house, or half my farm. I have folio numbers registered in my name. There are some other plots then I have a paper deed.

Older houses may have a slip of paper as a “deed” detailing again the plot of land as such. Often when these change hand now a days they move to being registered in the land registry also. But land changes are often only a generational thing, once every 50 years plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If using a safe or fire proof box make sure you locate it in a discrete place where it won't be found.

If burglars find either they will assume it contains cash or jewelry and take it away to break open later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I used this company to store mine and was very happy with the service. They are a solicitor based in Lucan. It was €30 per year when they stored mine I believe that has now increased to €40 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good to know that someone out there is providing this service, though "Liffey Bridge House" doesn't sound like a great address for storage of important paper documents!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Ha ha I imagine they are stored off site the office there is pretty small. I got hard and soft copies of the deeds included in the fee. It worked out much cheaper than using one of the vaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of what people consider to be "the deeds" for a property with a registered folio are things like planning compliance certs, things that banks like to look for when you're selling to someone buying with a mortgage.

There's some relatively new houses on unregistered folios around too, it wasn't compulsory in many counties until very late!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Before 2008 some houses were not registered so if you lose the deeds you could have a problem selling the house in future

If you search online you can click on a particular address if it says folio no ,....234,.etc its registered

Advertisement