Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Cops Shoot Dead Immobilized Double Amputee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He was armed and the tazer didn't seem to have an effect on him ,

The saddest part he lost his legs in previous altercation with police officers ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Them officers are very brave....

That's sarcasm in case you didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Seems he was after stabbing somebody and was trying to get away from the police

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"But it's not institutional"

It's not getting more traction because there's little sympathizing with his criminal action:

• He had just stabbed someone and was trying to flee on his stumps

3 handicapable cops can't nonlethally subdue a man with no legs. He was not being at all cooperative, but I just cannot imagine how they lacked the tools or the professionalism after all the decades of training and billions of dollars to know how to subdue a knife attacker in thick clothing without Dredd'ing them.

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Listen, fair enough. 3 or 4 shots, everyone panics. 🤷‍♀️

But why did they keep unloading into him when he was clearly not a threat anymore?

There was 11 cases found AFAIK.

It's another execution.

• Advertisement

But why did they keep unloading into him when he was clearly not a threat anymore?

The same reason why in China they continue to run over the pedestrian. A dead man doesn't get a trial, he doesn't get to testify. He cannot sue. He costs nothing to treat medically. That's a trick the institution teaches its Fraternity of officers.

And "don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill" mentality. As soon as guns go up, an Officer is premeditating the impulse to kill. But we decided to qualify this as an immunity! "I feared for my life"

• He had a knife, these idiots need charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,727 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Imagine if there was only 2 officers, they'd be completly overwhelmed by him.

Chief Wiggum is starting to seem overqualified for the American police these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Why focus on the fact he was in a wheelchair, or how many times they shot him?

Surely the most relevant part of the story is that he was armed, had just stabbed someone in an unprovoked attack, and was resisting arrest?

If he had a knife, from the officer's perspective he could be capable of anything in that moment and possibly had other weapons on him too. You've gotta be pretty dumb to resist arrest with a weapon in your hand facing armed police officers... not to mention bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Darwin award contender imho.

from the officer's perspective he could be capable of anything

Anything? Think you are stretching it there.

Sounds like they executed him because they couldn't use a taser.

As you do. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

Careful, he could have transformed into a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

How could he get away?How far could he run? Follow him and throw a net over him would surely stop him,No need to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,727 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It takes 5 of them to deal with a unarmed man, these 3 were very lucky.

Yes, anything... he was armed and had just stabbed someone in an unprovoked attack. Sounds like a pretty unstable and unpredictable person if you ask me.

• Sure these boys were lucky to come away with their lives intact.

i suppose the police have now become judge, jury & especially executioner. Suppose this is one way to free your courts time..

Watch this

This is the extreme lengths the US Police force will go to in order to apprehend a suspect they actually value the life of. It's a classic.

Yes, anything

Could he have kicked them or out ran them?

Could he have taken a gun out and started shooting at them?

The officers don't have the benefit of hindsight, to know what he's capable of in that moment or how many other weapons he has on him.

But could they be 100% sure about what other weapons he might have on him in that moment? Or his overall intentions?

Remember, this is an unstable and violent person, who has just stabbed someone in a unprovoked attack... try to put yourself in the mindset of these officers in that moment. Not someone just reading the story, after we have more of the facts and details of the incident.

It's very easy being captain hindsight, saying what should have been done after the fact. Too easy.

• Advertisement

.....!?

How many other appendages did he have to reach for a weapon with?

That's not hindsight, that's sight.

Oh hey, also relevant: when cops witnessed this fully handi-capable person whack Paul Pelosi with a hammer they still didn't blow his guts out, they didn't fear for their life. They didn't pull a gun on him either, they tried to talk with him. De-escalate. And he whacks Pelosi in the skull with a deadly weapon, a claw hammer, and they still don't grab a gun, they tackle him. They never even shout at him. (Viewer discretion is advised)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't know..

If he didn't want to get shot he could have tried not resisting arrest

And perhaps not stabbing someone in the lead up to that the first place etc

And maybe not being a criminal

I'm assuming those details are correct?

Still 11 shell casings and 3 of them vs 1 double amputee, it seems excessive.....it does seem like police should be equipped with more non-lethal means of containment/immobilising that neutralises and threat to their lives......if a taser doesnt work there has to be a better solution than pumping someone full of lead although having said that if I felt someone was a genuine threat and they were resisting I'd shoot first and ask questions later.

He was trying to throw the knife at them, was he not?

He could easily have grabbed a gun from behind his waistband after throwing the knife. These officers have no idea what he's capable of, other than knowing he's violent and has just stabbed someone.

For all they know, he could be off his face on drugs. Why would you take a chance with a guy like this, so you can end up not going home to your family because you assume a guy in a wheelchair is completely harmless and not a threat?

These guys are trained to anticipate anything happening. Not just make assumptions based on the fact he's disabled. And like I said, many people here are making the mistake of allowing hindsight to influence their judgement of this incident... these officers did not have the benefit of this when making their decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Armed and violent felon with a history of extreme violence is killed after threatening the life of police and public.

His legs weren't the problem, the weapon was.

He can't hurt people in his community anymore.

Post edited by Danzy on

I think all that demonstrates is how easily one can craft paranoid scenarios that didn't happen.

Why do you think he had a gun behind his waistband then and not a pineapple grenade? It's all counterfactual both ways.

For all they know, he could be off his face on drugs

There's the trope again

The guy in a chair they sniped the gun out of the hand of in the video I posted above, could have been off his face on drugs

The man who cracked in the skull of paul pelosi, he could have also been on drugs.

This is a red herring.

Why would you take a chance with a guy like this, so you can end up not going home to your family because you assume a guy in a wheelchair is completely harmless and not a threat?

Because of Human and Civil Rights.

These guys are trained to anticipate anything happening. Not just make assumptions based on the fact he's disabled. And like I said, many people here are making the mistake of allowing hindsight to influence their judgement of this incident... these officers did not have the benefit of this when making their decisions.

We agree, they are institutionalized to have this warped mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So suspicion of having a gun is grounds for opening fire? I'd hope the bar is a little higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Race is all up in it, don't kill the messenger.

You're not arguing the contrary, just bemoaning the truth being said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

Did the police really feel that their lives were in danger? All it needed was for someone to talk to him in a calm manner. There should have been no need for that reaction.

Advertisement