Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There isn't really a "yearning" though. Most people seem to think that it was a mistake which is progress but it doesn't equate to wanting to undergo the toxic debate that seriously proposing EU membership would entail. There's also the fact that all 27 countries must agree and I can't see that happening in the next five years. We need the Tories to retreat from the madness that is ethnic English nationalism and re-embrace reality or we'd be just another bad election away from Brexit II.

To be clear, I'd happily be back in tomorrow but as someone from Donegal, I'd be acutely concerned about another rehash of the protocol debacle. Apparently, Brexit "got done" three years ago today:

Hard to find a better summary than this. It seems that only Hannan and Rees-Mogg are actively touting this beyond the odd tweet or two. I'm currently attending a conference and there was an open discussion where senior managers were lamenting how hard recruitment has become. Life sciences here is so strong and so international but it's hard to go to Cambridge for £30,000 to live like a student. One woman who'd lived in Belgium and Canada said that salaries here are inferior to both.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Forty years after joining the EEC, the British people forgot the economic conditions which made joining a necessity in the first place. They're (re)learning them now.

In relation to the New European article, it says two of the three non-regretting constituencies are tied, leaving only one, Boston and Skegness still thinking that it was the right thing to do. There is an interesting constituency profile on Wikipedia:

'The constituency has a lower level of qualifications (measured by National Vocational Qualifications) than the East Midlands average and the average for Great Britain; in 2018, 19.7% of the adult population had a Higher National Diploma or degree-level qualification, compared to the British average of 39.3%. The 2015 data also found that the median house price in the constituency was £125 000. In 2019, the average gross weekly pay for people working full-time was £462, lower [than] the average for Great Britain, which was £587. The most common jobs are process plant and machine operatives and sales and customer service occupations. Around 40% of workers work in one of these areas, more than twice the national average. The constituency also has a lower employment rate and a higher level of people on unemployment benefits than the averages for the region and the country.

According to the 2011 UK Census, Boston was "home to a higher proportion of Eastern European immigrants than anywhere else in England and Wales". People born in other EU countries, most of whom came from Eastern Europe after the 2004 enlargement of the European Union, made up 13% of the town's population. The BBC described the town as "one of the most extreme examples in Britain of a town affected by recent EU immigration".'

Reading that, it's almost like a lab experiment in creating resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I really don't want the UK back as members of the EU, not for the next 20-30 years at least, as I fear their internal Brexit toxicity would remain and creep back into their dealings with the EU if not immediately then over a relatively short 5-10 year period of time as UK governments are replaced and a new Euro sceptic movement evolves which looks back at Brexit through rose tinted lens and somehow arrives at a consensus that Brexit itself wasn't a bad idea it was just poorly executed so rather than dump the idea and stay subjugated to the EU the UK should once again strike out to regain its freedom blah blah blah but in the case of Brexit V2 make sure they learn the lessons of Brexit V1 and avoid the errors made when agreeing the oven ready BloJo / Frosty deal.

I've personally never been a fan of rekindling old relationships. If you break up, stay broken up. It's rare that 2nd time round reconciliations ever survive long term as the cracks which caused the original split are inevitably still there albeit a little faded with time.

The UK has made its bed, let them lie in it until the English yearning for colonisation and empires of old is well and truly exorcised and they can behave as responsible and collegiate partners on an equal footing with all other EU member states.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think you're being a tad harsh. It makes sense not to take the UK back in its current form and that could last another decade or even longer. However, the relationships analogy isn't a good one. The UK and the EU are bound by geopolitical necessity whether they like it or not. I do agree that Brexit needs to be let fail and fail utterly before anything changes. We're getting there but there's a way to go.

The colonisation thing is simply nonsense, to be blunt. The whole Empire thing is just a preserve of eccentrics like Rees-Mogg. A lot of people simply bought into the myth that things would work out fine which was a fabrication from the political locusts who've been devouring the state for decades.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,077 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If they do want back in ourselves and the French should demand some of their fishing quotas just to troll those clowns that sailed up the Thames.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...which would initiate an anti-EU sentiment immediately and unnecessarily.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing about reentry, you'd have to wonder what conditions would be put, and what diminished clout the UK would have. The days of concessions and general functional veto power would be gone, Brussels keeping a close eye on an erstwhile malcontent. I know the EU is a partnership of equals, but a returning UK would surely test that principle

I get the geopolitical analogy and don't disagree that long term there has to be a normalisation of relations whether that's with the UK re-joining the EU or not but I do disagree that the sense of empire / colony and the attitude that pooling a certain amount of sovereignty and legislative alignment equates to being ruled by and subservient to "Brussels" is a lot more widespread particularly in England than just the eccentrics like Rees-Mogg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some are red herrings. I might predict that the EU will concede on the Blue Passports in return for minor concessions.

Sweden has avoided the Euro since 1995, long before there was a Euro so there's a fudge.

And the CTA is a mini-Schengen so we could ask for less than a pound of flesh.

The rebate might not be an issue if the economy continues to disimprove.

I can't see them keeping the opt-outs on the Charter of Fundamental Rights or the area of freedom, security and justice though.

And there may need to be guarantees that they won't bail out again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw someone pointing out the Brexiteers themselves have become the true "moaners" - they're complaining all the time about Brexit not being implemented properly and are fed up with how their project has turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UK Times reporting a deal is near and the concessions are flowing from the EU

This as reported, of course, will not give long term security for the single market and it's only a matter of time before the next veterinary scandal or dodge products end up here which undermines our own position. The British govt will take the win though. Other than the Irish govt no one in Brussels will be trumpeting a cave in to "Brexit Britain".

The reported climbdown on the ECJ is the most notable element as well as adherence to what mostly appears to be the UK command paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

That last one in your list (guaranteeing against further Brexit) looks the most contentious to me, because the EU is a club of consenting members, with Art.50 of fame specifically provided for exiting that club, should consent come to an end and be withdrawn. I certainly understand the sentiment behind that last suggestion, but would always argue against such guarantees, as being coercive and, as such, not in keeping with the cooperative, multilateralist principles at the root of the EU.

I’ve long said that the UK (or ‘England’, given sufficient time and British constitutional upheavals) cannot be considered for reaccession as an EU member, until such time as it has (I) as a nation, experienced catharsis over Brexit in full and (II) as a representative democracy, cleaned up the Augean stables that are its politics and electoral system (the 2 are arguably indissociable which, just as arguably, facilitated influence and meddling in the past 7+ years).

As and when it gets there, then the accession criteria can be discussed and, given the changed context, expectedly with a lot less acrimony where the contentious topics (€, Schengen, etc) are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Even more cowardice from the EU it appears from reports this morning

No more checks into Northern Ireland via a green lane. Let the smuggling of goods "staying in Northern Ireland" to the Republic commence.

Looks like relations with the UK is more important than Irish businesses and security of the Irish and EU borders. I suppose when the smuggling starts will justify a hard Irish border.

Maddening to read another lifeline thrown to the UK.

Yep, exactly what I was warning and routinely vilified for here. British getting exactly what they want.

Hey guys, what happened to the whole "EU doesn't have to do anything", "EU playing 4D chess", "we are the EU"...? Where has all that disappeared to?

And it will only get worse as well. Absolute spinelessness. The people who ignored what they signed, acted in totally bad faith, didn't bother implementing it at all getting rewarded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good to know in a world of discord and chaos, some will sing the same tune we all love to see.

Nearly 7 years of the same 'aul waffle about Ireland about to be screwed over. The same tea-leaf adjacent reading into headlines and rumour. Oh but this time, here it comes, Ireland's gonna feel the pain from Brussels. Out we go from the SM! The same paranoia searching for a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On the reported deal our place in the SM is at the behest of Britain from now on.

How in gods name can you be happy with that?

They don't do their job and dodgy goods end up here in bulk and that's that.

You'll defend this capitulation by the EU to Britain no matter what of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Err, if you are a business owner in a border county, you will feel the pain from Brussels.

Your customers can nip over the border for an inferior, lower cost product or your market is flooded with smuggled goods.

Can you explain how it will be anything different?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,868 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is from the Independent.

The FCDO suggested the newspaper’s report was speculative, saying officials were still engaged in “intensive scoping talks” with Brussels and declining to pre-empt the discussions.

Tony Connelly is also silent on this reported rumour.

RTE figuring out how to blemish it. They won't mention this is a spineless climb down which is what it is as reported. They'll say it's the EU acting in the interest of peace and all that guff.

Could it be totally wrong - yes, but I find that unlikely as this was always the direction Britain publicly stated they wanted.

I ask the question of the usual suspects I asked earlier.

What happened to all the self agrandising brovado about us in the EU being all strong, not having to flinch, just ignore them etc...

Going to go a bit silent now I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Yea i smell bs on this one. Just look at the past reporting by most UK press. No EU person quoted as a source, this is how the UK got into this mess in the first place, blaming the EU on most UK failings and using press media as the vehicle to reinforce that lie.

The truth prob includes limited trusted trader scheme with veterinary checks, which everyone would welcome on both sides, I would hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,868 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's being discussed on Nolan at the moment. Reporter throwing very cold water on the Times reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Kermit & Salon, have you guys learned nothing in the last six years. The UK press routinely trumpets the latest climbdown by the EU, that the UK has got everything it wanted and finally Brexit makes sense. As usual, there is little detail, few sources and little context.

We have seen this play out so many times before. It is in the UK governments interest to get the headline out, to prepare the narrative and then to hope that the actual details get lost. We saw it with the Brexit deal itself, the Australian and NZ trade deals. Actually it is the modus operandi every single time.

And you fall for it every single time. The EU has already secured access to real-time data on imports and exports. A huge concession by the UK. The EU will still be free to stop the deal at any time if the data suggests something is not working correctly. And the onus will be on the UK to deal with it.

A quote from the Times article:

Under the plan the UK and EU would negotiate a separate long-term agreement covering exports of meat, live animals and other produce to Northern Ireland, with the UK agreeing to uphold EU veterinary standards on goods exported to the province.

So UK farmers looking to sell goods into NI, whether for ongoing or NI consumption, will need to adhere to EU standards.

You should hold your horses and wait for the actual detail of any deal before getting all worked up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

As I pointed out before, the EU wants the NI Protocol implemented as agreed in the WA. No matter what concessions are agreed, they are only temporary, as any deviation resulting in a threat to the single market will require extra surveillance and more examination of imports into NI.

There has been an outbreak of salmonella in (8) chicken flocks in Ireland resulting in isolation of those flocks followed by culling. Now this was detected by surveillance of the flocks, not hospital admissions. Market surveillance is real and the Gov acts on it. Remember the horse meat burgers scandal discovered in Ireland but involving an East European and Belgium criminal enterprise.

So here is how it plays out:

The EU agrees to UK vet inspections to EU standard - oops, problem found - EU insists on increased surveillance by UK vets to reduce the chance of a recurrence.

The EU agrees to green lane for NI imports due to be restricted to NI - oops, products restricted to NI found imported into Ireland through market surveillance. EU insists action taken against importer and removal from access to the green channel for that importer. After a number of these instances, EU insists that ALL product imported to NI for restriction to NI sale be clearly labelled. EU warns sanctions if this not carried out.

And so on - get it started then improve it so that it works - with agreement from the UK Gov, of course - but not the Daily Mail.

The EU wants the NI Protocol implemented, no matter how watered down as long as it can 'adjust' the way it operates through agreed procedures, so that it actually operates in the way intended.

A bit like the way smuggling is controlled - it is not the bottle of hooch missed by the customs guy at the border, it is the massive frauds by large companies and organised criminals. The UK routinely allowed the import of cotton jeans from China at a valuation less than the wholesale price of raw cotton. It cost them a huge fine.

It's Charlie Brown and the football at this stage: the most trivial amount of detail-absent scuttlebutt is pounced on as proof that here it comes, Ireland is about to be thrown under the bus. It doesn't amount to anything, the press and subject moves onwards (insofar as Brexit can move forward) 'til the next newspaper article formed from poltiical eyebrow-waggling and little else.

Easy. None of this is going to happen. It's the same Quisling fantasy our resident "nationalist" has been shilling here desperately for the best part of a decade.

I don't get this negative binary attitude at all. The NIP goal is to ensure no hard border between Ireland and Norhtern Ireland, to provide sufficient protection to the EU Single Market from smuggling / dumping etc via the UK & ,without imposing unnecessarily onerous bureaucracy and checks between GB and NI.

If arrangements to the satisfaction of the EU can be put in place, substantially facilitated by the recent agreement on data sharing, and underpinned by the ability to check any suspicious movement which is using the "destined to stay in NI" lane but is raising red flags, in the same way customs officials at the airport can pull you walking through the green or EU lane if they suspect you're carrying contraband or whatever, then that's a win in my book.

Don't forget we now have data for the actual level of smuggling / dumping which can be traced back to entering Ireland from Northern Ireland since Brexit and it's minimal or no more than the level of smuggling / dumping that is happening on the Eatern land border of the EU between (for example and for no particular reason) Albania and Greece.

Whatever arrangements are being agreed between EU and UK need to provide a ladder for the DUP to climb back down and don't forget whatever new arrangements are put in place will be constantly under review and subject to alteration if they don't prove to be effective and all within the framework of the existing Withdrawal Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

If you're a business owner you'll want to be in the larger trade bloc, unless your business is Union Jack memorabilia.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tony Connelly has provided his insight into the negotations and the Times article and yes, it looks like the usual posters above are posting prematurely

Presumably, both @salonfire and @Kermit.de.frog will both acknowledge their misunderstanding of what is actually happening.

It's the tired old Irexiter nonsense. Brexit has shown that if you want to leave the EU, you'd better be able to take the hit and you'd better have one heck of a negotiating team. People like the bully Dominic Raab who didn't know where France is and Chris Grayling, the man who hired a ferry company with no boats just don't cut it.

Of course, the Irexiters don't care about Ireland, the Irish people or peace in NI. They just want to push their ideology and they'll reach for whatever words they think helps with that. Fortunately, I think most Irish people see through this as Irish support for the EU is consistently extremely high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

I can't ever see the UK returning to the EU in the future, because there simply won't be a UK to rejoin.

Brexit had passed from fantasy to policy and the world has not realigned to gild the turd.

Advertisement