Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have ethernet ports in every room in the newly built house.

• 31-01-2023 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6 umburgiz

Does anyone know if there are meant to feed the connection to every room from a router or is it just a place to plug in your router so you can set it up in any room you want.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

So, from the main router in the house there should be a wired ethernet cable to port covered on the left. ( I think the port on right is coaxial )

You can attach additional powered ethernet switches to these ports to add more ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Have you located the place in the where all these cables return to?

Co-ax probably return to this point also.

You could do that yes, but it would need to be connected to the main Ethernet hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 umburgiz

Yeah i haven't found a place where all the cables meet. There is this thing near the front door but i didn't have a screwdriver to check what's behind the blank socket.

Maybe it's irelevant

Could it just be that it's just ports for the the router so that u can move it to any room you want? If so it's kinda disappointing cause then i will have to route ethernet cables between the rooms myself for the other 2 desktops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have you unscrewed the socket to see if it's actually wired up and not just a faceplate?

It's unusual for someone to run cable, terminate it at a box and not put some form of a label on the cable on both ends (although in fairness of there's only one per room it could be labeled back at the patch panel of there is one.)

Likely places for all cables to go back to would be attic, under stairs, near elec distribution box or near TV in sitting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

All of them patch points should all terminate in a single location back to a patch panel. It would look something like this.

They are not numbered which is not ideal. You then would need a switch which the router would be plugged into to provide network\internet access to.

You need to connect the ports on the patch panel to the switch to make the points live in the rooms this is done by connecting a CAT5\6 cable between switch and patch panel.

Thanks for the help guys, I will have a better look tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

As above, that how it is set up in our house.

The sockets in each room have a number like in photo. Then make sure that corresponding number on panel is connected to switch.

• Advertisement

Most likely the ethernet and coax cables return to a central location, attic/hot press/utility etc. Have a root around.

Also as mentioned have a look behind the faceplates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

That's very similar to the house I'm renting at the moment.

All the room sockets are cabled back to the utility room, near the main fuse board.

The plate near the front door is for an alarm system keypad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It depends. Ethernet can't just be spliced like a coax/tv cable or so. If you go from on one point to many points you need something like a switch or a hub. Say if you have one port in every room then there would ideally be a point in your house where they all come together, where you have many ports. This is where your router (which also acts like a switch/hub) should go.

Point to point around the house can be done too but it requires multiple hubs and in this case there are most likely two ports in every room.

It all depends on the wiring. You need to have a wiring diagram or figure out what's connected to what by trial and error. Most likely is the star scenario where all the other ports (rooms) come together at a central point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Silly question but is Ethernet cable the same as phone cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Kinda but no.

Phone cable is thinner because it has only 4 smaller wires running inside it (and has smaller connections) while Ethernet has 8 and has bigger connections

The picture shows the single faceplate about 12" from the floor, so not for an alarm keypad.

No, as posted but ethernet cable can be used as telephone cable, using just a single pair in the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

and 2 phone cables can be used as an ethernet cable as only 4 (2xPairs) are required for an ethernet data connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

As others have said, most new build Morden homes should be wired like this.

All these points should return to a central location, most likely in your plant room or attic.

You do not need to wire them up to your router unless you want to.

Your domestic router will have 4 free ports on the back that you could connect 4 of those cables to, how you figure that out yourself is a bit hint and miss if the cables and ports aren't label.

If you need/want to wire up even more ports you would need to get a switch they aren't expensive

Wired connections are better the wireless, so your typical uses for these would be if you plan to work from home from a particular room, if possible wire in your connection.

If you have a particularly weak wireless signal in a part of the home you can get a wired extender and connect it, or you could use the ports to wire in a mesh system like the TP link deco etc

IMO Wired is no longer better than wireless. I have 2 x Unif Wifi Access points running multiple streaming devices / Xbox / PCx3 (WFH) and never have an issue, A good wireless implementation beats wired in today's world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Most likely they will have to add the patch panel themselves, can't imagine the builders leaving any more than a bunch of loose cables sticking out of the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Maybe in some situations where throughput isn't the major consideration, WiFi is only more convenient IMO. At work we have state of the art enterprise WiFi 6 access points but always revert to wired Ethernet for local file transfers.

The guy is talking about his house! , Where I work we manage 1500 Access Points across 60 sites globally...Some sites (Manufacturing/Distribution) have 300 Access Points and some only have 5 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We're just building at the moment - should we be getting an ethernet port in each room? I was just planning on having it in a couple of rooms and relying on wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

This is exactly how my house was left. All ethernet and coax from every room returns to a small box in the utility room. Nothing terminated and all squashed in by the builder.

Expect a complete mess and a days frustration tracing and terminating each cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

In many houses, you need a wired network to run those Unif Access points, particularly in larger houses. Wired also provides PoE, VoIP phones more security etc. Wireless is often better for convenience, but I am pretty sure wired is always higher performance. Many dont need that and should go wireless but some might want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

In a basic home setup, wireless has some plus points and convenience can be a major one. In general though, no. Wireless is open to too much interference. To get your full bandwidth, high end wireless stuff is not cheap. Wireless printers fall off the network all the time. Mesh systems play havok with ever more popular wireless soundbar systems.

The OPs house is already cabled so with some advise here he could have a fully connected network for very little outlay. OP, this reminds me of my brothers house in Royal Canal Park, all rooms were patched with no info and no sign of the central connection point in the house. We eventually found a bunch of cables in the utility stuffed in the dry wall behind an empty elec back box which was covered by a blank face plate - shameful job by the builders tbh. Anyway, it turns out the ports in each room were not actually terminated properly and obviously the bunch of cables in utility needed a patch panel or some ends put on. Guess what was my job on my last visit?!

OP, yeah, get your tool kit :) , check behind that faceplate at the front door - my guess, ISP router may have to live there, easy external access and you can then feed the connection to your central point. Any other blank faceplates in the house? Is there a utility?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Yea, its probably overkill having in every room as most things are over wireless these days. I'd say having ethernet anywhere you plan on having a TV or anywhere you'd possibly have an office/desk is plenty - even tho you may never use them its always better to have just in case. (If you are running CoAx to the Tv points then Ethernet cable can go along with them) Once your build is complete it wont be easy to add in. A definite thing to consider is where you plan on putting your Access Points for WiFi coverage in the house. For me I used ceiling mounted PoE Access points which work super. You will of course need your ethernet cable ran to wherever you want them and have a PoE switch in your Hotpress/utility where the cables terminate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If you're just building, I would put at least 1 port in each bedroom (I'd run 2 cables even if only connecting one port, stuff does break). Then a bunch, maybe even as many as 4+ in main entertainment areas for Tv's, set top boxes, consoles, sound systems etc. etc. . . . The cable costs next to nothing and they'll be running elec wire anyway so it's simple to pull along with it - a pain to do after building is finished! Even if they just run the cable, leave the terminating up to yourself as a little project, a few youtube videos and it can quickly be learned.

As @jacko says above, a few ceiling runs for potential AP placement is a really good idea whether you go for ports in the rooms or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

You'd have a crap bit rate. I don't even know if you would get 100mbps, probably not.

What you can do in a pinch, if you have a gigabit setup, is split an ethernet cable so that it can serve two two devices. You can open the cable and wire one set of pairs to one RJ45 plug, and the other pairs to another RJ45 plug. It works, but the bitrate will be limited to 100mbps. Might be OK for the likes of IP cameras or other low data demand devices. You won't get away with it for a TV or intensively used computer setup though.

Advertisement