Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Trust me, one charger is all you need for your car, although having 2 charge ports on a car might be the future of speedy charges

The 150kW in Galway plaza will run at half power if a chademo is plugged in the other side, likewise the 100kW chargers at loughrea will do the same if 2 cars plug into one unit

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Yup a load more. Interesting that Kinnegad plaza has easy go chargers and not ecars. Could do with faster chargers there seem to get a bit of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Off topic but I was actually wondering if they'd start fitting electric trucks with two CCS ports to charge at up to 1MW from two chargers

Looks like they just came up the MCS instead

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

CCS is seen as the overnight charging standard for electric lorries. I wonder when we'll see an MCS charging station anywhere on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Don’t forget the Doora/Kilbreckan plaza in Clare is due to be built and come online before the end of 2023, and will also have charging facilities

• Advertisement

It's a bit weird to think of charging at 50kW through the night

I think that some tricks with MCS connectors have been spotted (Tesla Semi) and there's EU rules coming into force around providing truck charging. So we might start to see a few in the next few years

I imagine they'll be restricted to the busiest motorway routes, M1 and M7 probably

I wonder if Ecars will even bother or will it be Applegreen and the like. Given Ecars are currently being booted out of the TII sites, which are most likely the first places we'll see truck charging, then I think they'll never get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

I need to drive Wicklow to Castlebar in a couple of weeks to arrive early morning so taking a 20min round trip off the motorway wouldn't be great. Will probably have to stop a bit early in Athlone Ionity and top up from a fairly high SOC. Would be nice to have a motorway hub between Athlone and Tuam.

If you are arriving with a high SOC, why wouldnt you top at Kinnegad with one of the easygo 50kW chargers? You would more than make up for the time by travelling the most direct route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Surely now with eCars finally ditching the CHAdeMO standard, the writing will be on the wall for Nissan Leaf new sales.....

But I imagine most new Leaf buyers would know next to nothing about charging standards, and the Nissan sales guys will keep schtum on the whole 'whatever is currently installed is your lot.. bar the odd token EasyGo sites.'

You couldnt really fit two ccs ports to be used simultaneously for mass market use. The levels of BMS and intercommunication would be expansive. Whatever about dual AC charging, dual DC charging would be very difficult to implement beyond test bed cases IMO. How does each charger know how to regulate voltage etc. Unless you had two separate packs, or two packs that were connected in parallel for use in driving but could disconnect for charging, and have a ccs connector on each side?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When your looking at a vehicle with a 500kWh battery that needs overnight depot charging a 22kW AC on board charger isn't going to cut it.

The Tesla Semi currently has an MCS V2 connector but it's believed it will switch to the current 3.2 version which doesn't have patent issues.

Two packs would be simple from a charging perspective but probably difficult from a usage perspective, what happens if they're out of balance

I think 2 CCS ports wouldn't be too bad. You can control the voltage and current from each charger so they should match. You'd need some sort of regulator to smooth out any minute difference, but it doesn't seem too costly considering the truck probably costs a couple hundred grand to begin with

Having said that, a single connector being able to supply several megawatts is definitely a cleaner solution 😁

True, I think some smaller trucks or buses can take 44kW AC but it's definitely gone beyond what a little 7kW home charger can handle

This article really belongs in the Random EV thoughts thread but since we're talking about electric trucks...

Some definite good and bad points in the article

Good points are that the truck was carrying 20 tonnes of oranges (they said tons in the article but since it's Europe I'm guessing it was metric tonnes)

I still struggle to find actual payload values for trucks but 20 tonnes seems good? It's certainly better than the 6 tonnes I saw some YouTube geniuses were calculating the Tesla Semi could carry

Other good point is the company ordered another 18 trucks to be delivered this year, so despite the difficulties they must see value in them (if it was one or two trucks I'd call it greenwashing)

Bad points would be the 20 charging stops needed to cover the 3,000km distance, around 150km or Leaf30 range between charging stops 😭

It also took a week instead of 4 days in a diesel truck

Partly this was because the route didn't have many truck chargers so the driver had to use lower power car chargers. Better and more powerful chargers would presumably have sped him up

Still, it shows what can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I bagsy not load sharing with that, if it plugs in to the AC43 on an old ESB triple-header. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sure then you wouldn't need batteries at all 🙂. Might as well just use trolley buses.

Yes I think it would have to be a single connector. My software based theory was linked to what Rivian does, it's a 400V pack nominal and all the drive motors etc are 400v but the battery can via software series connect to 800V to charge at 800V.

I could be incorrect but aren't the new electric buses we are getting dual CCS enabled?

Delighted about another EV drivers difficulty? Do you drive a BMW yourself by any chance?

Post edited by Red Silurian on

No, I'm delighted that one side of a 180kW charger isnt wasted providing a 50-70kW plug for chademo which is a dead standard. By all means on a 50kW have a CCS and a chademo, only one can be used anyway. But on a charger configured to load share between both plugs like the HPC are, it doesnt make sense to have a chademo plug.

Ecars have already confirmed no new chademo installs from 2024 and it looks like they are doing that already.

And no, I havent owned or driven a bimmer for years since my second e60.

• Advertisement

Delighted about another EV drivers difficulty?

Leaf's have gotta be what now? less than 10%-15% of total EV's on Irish roads?

They have more than enough existing CHAdeMO connectors for them to use until CHAdeMO eventually disappears. Putting any more CHAdeMO in in 2023 is just a complete waste of resources, and detrimental to the other 85%-90% of EV's that are CCS

What does that have to do with the delight of someone who once drove a BMW?

The HPC at loughrea would probably load share also, just it would be with a CCS car, not just a leaf or am I mistaken? And there are plenty of CCS cars on the road that can only take 50kW

Careful, next somebody is going to say you could link several carriages together with a single driver and then we'll have reinvented the train again 😁

Looks like we couldn't make it through one day of February without starting up the old CCS Vs Chademo argument again 🙄

Because it's obvious he's delighted that finally HPC's are being installed and configured in such a way that will ultimately benefit the vast vast majority of EV drivers, and are no longer installed with 50% of said HPC being reserved for a tiny minority of EV drivers.

I'm going to throw sand into the wind here and guess that ELM couldn't give a rats ar$e about Nissan Leaf drivers... or the misery they may or may not face.

That tiny minority of EV drivers are the most common ones that I've seen about in my regular drive, second most common is the Renault Zoe

New month, same argument, and notably almost always gets started by a non-chademo driver

Exactly. And I am a former leaf owner, and have a chademo adapter in my shed from my X. I very nearly bought a second hand leaf last year too. I'm not anti leaf. Far from it. I loved mine and did 5k km a month in it!

It's just if you have a HPC capable of 150kW each side, it['s a waste of resources having one side in use for a 50kW chademo plug. I dont get the constant arguing with me asking if I have a bmw!

This is progress. We don't have public fax machines, public phones (interestingly now being replaced with 50kW chargers!), Betamax video tapes for sale at large retailers, leaded petrol at every garage, prices displayed in irish pounds pre euro price, or even pre decimal to post decimal irish pound.

Time moves on. We've consolidated to one charging standard. This is great and should be supported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

I read in boards.ie the new Athlone busses are 2 X CCS and the chargers they use seem to be 2 X CCS type.

Back on topic I think kinnegad was a supermacs driven easygo install rather than plaza group, and easygo said supermacs were paying for the free early usage. I wonder if ESB were even offered the site, while the layout seems an afterthought 2 X 50kW next to each other was advanced at the time and the location near the exit means it's rarely ICED. It's also quite close to the building once parked and you can keep an eye on your car for the emergency stop brigade.

I presume esb will apply for any future government tenders and there is talk in NI they need to reapply for existing sites to get future grants and the possibility existing NI sites may be given over to someone else winning the tender. That might be why they are not rolling out in NI late 2023 as promised, they may be waiting for future grant money, similar in ROI with lots of talk of future grants why would someone roll out now instead of delaying and lobbying for favourible grant terms that suit their plans. I am not saying that's the right move, but announcing new grants for public charging but not actually making them possible to apply for just causes confusion and delays.

Post edited by zg3409 on

Advertisement