Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

When you send people to prison or throw them out of windows for saying no, everyone's a yes man.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Yep this is the truth. Either the West actually prefers a long,drawn out war to steadily weaken Russia and keeping it too occupied to cause trouble elsewhere. Or it's still a bit afraid of provoking Russia beyond a certain point and considers Ukraine just not important enough to risk it.

Because it could, and morally should, give Ukraine every weapon it needs, including sophisticated fighter jets.

The worrying thing about all these statements is that it's basically encouragement for Putin to just hang in there, knowing the West is only going to go so far to fight him, and for an uncertain time span.

Source ISW,somehow i suspect we are not using the same sources

These look the job, plus the rocket motors for them are apparently fairly plentiful (and relatively cheap). Apparently the whole unit is around 40k each (as opposed to a million for ATACMS). Yanks should be sending a variant of them over shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭maebee

Ukraine war latest: Russians 'kicking people out of homes' near frontline as Kremlin 'prepares to attack'

Unimaginable. Imagine this happening to any of us, in our homes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Strong parallels between the two regimes as well. Both authoritarian police states, with most citizens fearful of saying anything in case they get immediately arrested. Very unhappy places too - even by 1938/9 and before the outbreak of war, life in Germany had become oppressive and dark and far from the shiny 'new world order' they were presenting to the outside world.

You can't have a hateful ideology and leadership without it feeding into the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You give the impression you are a rapid offensive junkie. If it's no happening right this second, you feel you are not getting you euros worth of edge of your seat entertainment.

This is not sport.

Declining empires which blamed or were resentful of Western powers. Whipped up by nationalist leaders.

• Advertisement

The Ukrainians are really unleashing the dogs on corruption. Dismissing the heads of the customs service, raiding the homes ot former heads of Ukranafta (oil) for alleged embezzlement of 40 billion hrvina, and many more such. They really want into the EU.

The dismissal of the entire leadership of the State Customs Service was announced by the head of the Servant of the People faction David Arakhamia

According to the head of the presidential faction, today are:

✔️ searches in the Tax Office;

✔️delivery of notifications of suspicion to officials of the Ministry of Defense;

✔️ searches at Kolomoisky’s for Ukrnafta

✔️a whole series of covert investigative actions;

✔️ searches at Avakov's;

✔️ searches at Stolar;

✔️ dismissal of the entire management staff of the Customs.

I think some senior person in the tax dept has been raided and they found she had a shopping list of wants, like one sable coat...

Post edited by cnocbui on

Russian point of view of the Ukrainian drone tactics against them

He gets it, they get. I suspect that if EU countries started closing Orc embassies wholesale, the last one left standing would be in Orwell rd.

There should be no ambassadors of the Russian Federation in the EU countries, - said the head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania, Gabrielus Landsbergis.

"In most cases, this is no longer a diplomatic agency, but a propaganda institute that covers war crimes and generally promotes genocide propaganda," said the head of the Lithuanian Foreign Ministry.

Nice to see, particularly as in the past week I have contributed to Ukraine's offensive and observational drone efforts.

As an aside, I wondered a few years ago if Putrid was up to something, as there were reports the Orcs were buying a lot of gold and increasing their reserves. So I think this special operation may have been several years in the planning. Why then was so much foreign reserves left on the table before starting this? I can only conclude they severely underestimated the west's reation. I think they must have thought it would be a swift victory, there would be sanctions, but not for long, so they didn't need to tip their hand and get the foreign reserves somewhere safer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

The fact corruption is so deeply rooted across their society shows why they are still a long way from getting into the EU.

But at least, unlike the Russians, they seem to making a bit of a genuine effort, finally

Very nice, but I'm doubting that the laser terminal guidance is going to be used much, 150km behind the lines. This is why they need Gay Eagles or preferably a stealth drone like the RQ-170. No use pretending non-supply is about preserving secrets since the Iranian's nabbed one intact and in full working order.

What a combo - you have a drone near the target laser designating it, Your artillery fire from a long way off, and then lots of booms, as the drone is not weight and endurance restricted and can be stealthy as it doesn't need to carry any ordnance itself. Since the drone can probably track a moving target, you can hit moving targets with artillery, from 150km away. What a capability that is. You could probably hit a helicopter containing a large piece of sh*t in it, or it's double.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Chuck being called out in the comments that Ukraine are not getting the laser guided version. He seems to get called out quite often.

Let just hope these are enroute already and not just going into production. Haven't seen much in the way of the number produced.

They have been making an effort for over six months, it's basically been ongoing nearly as long as the war, it's not a sudden new initiative, though it's intensified since the pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Lazer designation can be done from the ground, special forces have been doing it for years,

You don't need an expensive high tech drone to do it ,in this day and age you could probably rig a commercial available drone to carry a Lazer designator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It should also be noted that much of the culture of corruption in Ukraine came directly from the neighbouring criminal / terrorist state. It wasn't something that developed generically, but was the Russian way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I was wondering why some users were saying Russia was winning. I guess that 0.1% with a gulp of copium = winning?

Should put transport routes from Crimea nicely in range

A quarter the cost of typical HIMARS missile with 2x the range. I think this batch are the ones with lower explosive payload, but enough to take out e.g. armored vehicles and tanks. Apparently there are others with higher payloads, also customized explosive types.

I know all that, but you need a clear line of sight, and that is often hard to come by on the ground. If special forces can get close enough to be designating or lofting a commercial drone with a laser pointer stuck to the camera gimbal, the drone could as easily be rigged with an explosive charge.

It's all theoretically do-able but highly unlikely to be actually done and not something that can be done quickly or routinely. For that, you need a drone with a far greater operational range than commercial ones over which you can get video feed and be able to control it. Commercial drones are good for around 15km, not 150.

The direct link

"The Wagner way of war is to send a first wave of attackers that mainly comprises raw recruits straight out of Russian prisons. They know little of military tactics and are poorly equipped. Most just hope that if they survive their six-month contract they can go home rather than back to a cell

“They make the group – let’s say from 10 soldiers – reach 30 meters, then they start digging in to keep the position,” Andriy says of Wagner."

Another group follows, he says, to claim another 30 meters. “That’s how, step by step, (Wagner) is trying to move forward, while they lose a lot of people in the meantime.”

Only when the first wave is exhausted or cut down do Wagner send in more experienced combatants, often from the flanks, in an effort to overrun Ukrainian positions.

Andriy says facing the assault was a frightening and surreal experience.

“Our machine gunner was almost getting crazy, because he was shooting at them. And he said, I know I shot him, but he doesn’t fall. And then after some time, when he maybe bleeds out, so he just falls down.”

Andriy compares the battle to a scene out of a zombie movie. “They’re climbing above the corpse of their friends, stepping on them,” he says.

“It looks like it’s very, very likely that they are getting some drugs before attack,” he says, a claim that CNN has not been able independently to verify.

Even after the first waves were eliminated, the attack continued as the Ukrainian defenders say they ran out of bullets and found themselves surrounded.

“The problem was that they went around us. And that’s how they surrounded us. They came from the other side. We didn’t expect them to come from there.

“We were shooting until the last bullet, so we threw all the grenades we had and left only me and a few guys. We were helpless in that situation.”

They were lucky. Held off until the last moment, the Ukrainian fighters say, Wagner withdrew at the end of the day.

Andriy’s account of Wagner’s approach matches that of a Ukrainian intelligence report obtained by CNN last week.

According to that report, if Wagner forces succeed in taking a position, artillery support allows them to dig foxholes and consolidate their gains. According to Ukrainian intercepts, coordination between Wagner and the Russian military is often lacking.

But wait didn't someone on here say it wasn't happening like that at all

Sports administration is one of the most corrupt and amoral of human activities. Saw something a few days ago where Pam Shriver was saying something about tennis and female players getting to the court via their coaches beds, or something like that. Found it

In Australia it's also swimming coaches. Then there have recently been the female gymnasts relating about their male coaches when the were children/teens. All these sporting organisations know about and tollerate it, probably because they were part of it. Female ice skaters too - France and Canada recently I believe.

It's probably actually on the required curriculum in Orcistan. Putin even got envious of those Orc sports coaches and got in on the game himself with the very flexible Alina Kabaeva.

'Sport!'

WTA banned young teen females 13 up from sharing hotels and hostels with senior older female tennis players 18+ after it became known the older players were grooming the younger girls into having inappropriate relationships.

It's not just a man thing

• Advertisement

If someone told you this time last year that Russia would be using prisoners in human wave attacks on Ukraine you would have asked them what century they were from, and where were their meds. Yet here we are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement