Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Heard there was 200 missing in the UK and thought it's only a matter of time before it comes out that it's happened here, didn't think it would be quite so soon, but

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I know, my point was it has been going on for decades.

The schools still gets final say. It was the piece from RTE.

While the system is administered centrally, each school still applies its own individual enrolment policy in choosing which pupils to admit,

I can guarantee you none of those 26 pupils are handy at hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No level of meaningful advance consultation is ever attempted because it allows opposition to organise. There are very few communities, apart from some leafy liberal suburbs, where there wouldn't be at least some opposition. O'Gorman is correct in that consultation would not change some protesters views, but that's true of every controversial project.

So what we see is that people are informed it's happening after the point of turning back.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

O'Gorman with some big news today. If you thought we had run out of room, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Just the 19,000 beds needed within 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In fairness, I saw someone make the valid point this week that 'consultation' could well just end up with NIMBYism i.e. the people consulted will just say 'no', no matter how much explanation and detail is given to them.

We do have form in Ireland for a Nimby culture (it may well be a significant element in the actual housing crisis), so the consult the local community idea may not be the magic solution or ideal outcome that some imagine.

• Advertisement

It's hard to see how such developments are not going to end in nimbyism. What exactly are the positives of hosting such a centre in your community. A feeling of helping out is as much as you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The state needs to step back. If you come here, find your own accomodation.

Then they will stop coming.

Problem solved

Yes indeed, but that leaves the state with a big problem as it has to place refugee centres somewhere (and they have to be in towns or urban suburbs at least......you can't just have one in a field five miles from the nearest house or shop, for all sorts of reasons).

There are definitely no easy answers to this current situation, but I'm not sure the 'consult with the local community' thing is much of a solution either.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Precisely. But ROG is so clueless, he's now even backing down from the initial statement that new immigrants wouldn't be accommodated. Instead, he's "managed to locate" accommodation for most of the newly-arrived "adults without children" (i.e., single, unvetted men), completely defeating the purpose of the initial statement. So, going forward, his claims that we're full will be no disincentive for anyone to come. It really is a breathtaking level of ineptitude; just when you think he can't get any worse, he does.

Knocklisheen is pretty much middle of nowhere. Nothing with a couple of miles.

Tents in fields is fine. If they want to source better accomodation for themselves then let them off.

• Advertisement

I saw one of those tent camps on the news last night. Men from Poland, Scotland and Portugal.

No room at the inn for EU citizens but if you fly in from Albania and dump your passport you get a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Or they'll dangerously overcrowd into unsuitable accomodations and they'll be wiped out in a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

If I worked in Scotland, Portugal or Poland and found myself without a job or accomidation, I am pretty confident the authorities would support me and not leave me homeless, until I could sort things out. Everyone needs an address to claim entitled benefits, apply for a job, apply for x,y&z. I can't understand why the EU & UK citizens are being not prioritized (accomidation needs) ahead of unvetted economic migrants arriving without visa's or passports. What is Brussles / EU doing about this ? They are quick to tell ireland to collect more taxes from multinationals, but are failing to point out Ireland's responsibility towards human rights and social protection of EU citizens.

Consulting the community isn't an answer to finding accommodation because the obvious result is that almost every community will oppose it in some way.

However this is meant to be a democracy, so if almost every community opposes something, one might think that the overall policy needs a rethink? That might be a bit uncomfortable for the opinion formers in Montrose and Tara St. that the nation isn't as accommodating as they would like it to be.

If we had been able to talk about migration for the past 15 years and not called anyone who had concerns about it a racist, we wouldn't be where we are today tbh.

Amazing how we can convert an equestrian centre into an accomodation block at the drop of the hat but if somebody wanted to develop 20 houses on the same site it could be hauled through planning for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The name O’Gorman will be remembered for decades in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I expect he got a stern warning about that far right statement so unlikely he will go down that road again. So, back to the initial strategy of no planning, hoping for the best and if things go wrong just shrug the shoulders.

Government are exhibiting an urgency and ingenuity re migrant accommodation that I've never seen deployed towards their own people. There are simply no limits on what they'll do for them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The state does not have to place refugee centres anywhere, most especially for single men from God knows fooking where.

Ireland had become so attractive to chancers, and yes that includes some Ukrainians, that the exaxt opposite has got to be done to stop even more people turning up and to convince the chancers here to fook off.

Yeah you can call me a heartless fooker, but beggaring ourselves and our children so that gobshytes in power can appeal to self grandiosing halfwits in the media, vested interests in NGOs making a living off this lunacy and corrupt global organisations with celebrity endorsements is not what is good for our society and our people.

And the people are the natives, the ones here legally on VISAs and not some fooking chancer that arrived claiming they can't go home, wherever the fook that is.

We threw open the doors to Ukrainians, but now the p* is being taken even by some of them.

Why would you want to go back, most especially if you had legged and left your country folk to fight for the country's survival.

We stop it now because mark my words this is going to end in blood.

A traitor.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So he is basically saying that communities don't want refugee centers in their area and his answer is basically this is inconvenient and thus better off not consulting because of this.

Democracy when it suits Roderic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭minimary

Then they should be honest and say there will be no consultation. Its the mealy mouthed pretending that they will consult local communities and then not doing it. They've been saying for months if not years now whenever problems arise that they will be open with local communities about whats happening but never do. I would respect the answer of we're not going to tell you whats happening because you won't like it over claiming that next time they'll inform people. He should be honest about the contempt he has for people who don't share his world view.

Theres plenty of open space in the RTE grounds, that seems like a perfect space for a tent set up for a few months

Only legitimate and democratic "consultation" is via a referendum, not this shambles of "discussions" with the community. On that ballot will be one question: Do you want further unlimited immigration or not? YES or NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Such a referendum would see the NO side win by at least 80-20.

This is why there will be no such referendum.

Mass immigration is, and always has been, deeply unpopular among native populations in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Put it to the people and then most of us win or lose will have our faith restored in democracy

If they don’t give us those things it will just get worse and very nasty

The "Not in my back yard" mindset may well be causing much of the actual Irish domestic housing crisis, so I'm not convinced the government should be paying too much attention to what these local communities have to say about housing and accommodation. A lot of these guys are objecting to virtually everything that is planned : 'it's too high, it's too big, it's too near us, it's blocking our view, there's not enough amenities in the area for new houses, it's devaluing our property' etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Thats just how our government operates though:

EG:

If your against gay marriage your a homophobe.

Against Abortion your a backwards church nut.

Don't want Irish neutrality threatened - you love russia.

They love to stand on one side of the division and use it to quell any argument, and they can, because our backwards system of party whips and brown envelope independents means they can do what they want. Ie Sealing the mother and baby home records. We allow them away with that crap. Always have, always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Politicians must pay attention to what local communities say. They are elected by them. Irish politics is very local.

Frustrating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Anyone listening to Pat Kenny? Fair play to facts been aired.

40% with false or no documents came here last year. Asylum seekers interviewed said the only reason they come here is because they can work after 6 months and get official papers .

A good few interviewed came from the UK.

Appears we have an open border policy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Pat has both the intellect and the stature to force a change in discourse, might be an arrogant sod but he’s street ahead of the conveyor belt of journalists leaving left wing madrassas nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And even better was later when they interveiwed women protestors.

One it turns out is married to an African so there goes the chance of labeling her a racist.

Then the interviewer asked her how he came here and she replied he kept his documents.

Now the likelihood is they may not have had visa and they did claim asylum?

Then another women was saying they have no idea who these men are.

Of course interviewer went to plan B and said how they could be fleeing warzones, to which the woman piped up and said

"how come it is only the young men, what about the women and children in these warzones"?

No answer from interviewer.

The people are wising up and asking the questions with the inconvenient answers.

Have to say Kenny is it seems the only one setting out to really debate this.

Earlier on Newstalk you had muppets debating how Welsh Rugby have stopped choir singing "Bye Bye Deliah" because it is misogynistic or some such.

Then lad pipes up about ELO's "Devil Woman" and how it is misogynistic.

So it aint Newstalk that is finally seeing the light it is Kenny himself.

And is there any chance McDowell could resurrect a party again.

He would get my vote.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement