Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Cops Shoot Dead Immobilized Double Amputee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Havenowt

Yes, he might have had a gun strapped to his ankle.....

Whats the point handcuffing him when he is dead on the sidewalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So why not just start opening fire on everyone, all the time, everywhere? Anyone could always have a gun on them. Wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Whats the point handcuffing him when he is dead on the sidewalk.

Optics. Fewer bystanders can suss out that police are dealing with a dead body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cant say I agree with your risk management, the secret it to absolutely comply with the police while knowing your rights, if the police overstep the mark sue em later and get a payout

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Sue the police? Is that before or after they shoot you dead?

sue em later and get a payout

'Oh my sweet summer child'

(Breonna Taylor was sleeping, js)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭deirdremf

What's the likelihood those cops got their training in Afghanistan or Iraq?

... I wonder if that is where yer man lost his legs as well.

• Yeah but how do you know she didn’t have a gun under that pillow? Or a gun pillow! OR MAYBE SHE WAS THE GUN.

We don't know their names even yet because they aren't Black. Most recent reporting:

About 1 in 5 cops is currently a veteran. Following the vietnam was it was about half the force reportedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

firstly the salient point was to get away alive , There is no generalised law you cant sue the police, for example there is a youtube channel called Audit the Audit and there are plenty of examples where the individual treated badly by the police sue and get payouts.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Audit the Audit doesn't Audit police shootings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only issue I see here is the amount of times they shot him. Overkill as usual, but it's basically standard at this rate from what I can tell. Shoot to incapacitate. If they die, that's just the outcome. The intent is to make sure they can't do further harm. These lads went overboard with that, but that's what American cops do.

Re: different cops doing different things in different situations, all I can say to that is people react differently.

Re: why handcuff a shot person? Procedure. They're handcuffed in case they can do further harm. Not everyone who gets shot dies instantly. Some can still move and potentially do further harm. Not when handcuffed. It's like asking why do they handcuff anyone. Procedure.

Now, I'm not defending it. Them lads are probably in bother. But the victim sounded like a right upstanding (pun intended) citizen. No loss really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,737 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He used a deadly weapon, unprovoked to attack and injure a person.

he was offered the opportunity to release the weapon and surrender.

he declined, so he’s dead.

he had choices to make,

1) don’t carry a deadly weapon and don’t attack people with it.

2) comply with the instructions of the police

he made the wrong choices

Quite simply choose violence and stupidity = end up dead…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Arms were all they left him with, so they took those as well. 2 police murders via 'non-lethal' Tasers in a month, incredible place.

The cops had choices too you know.

You know how else you could figure out how to subdue a double amputee? Throw a blanket over him ffs. Get creative, he's not fleeing anywhere, it is a knife and he is running away from you.

Cops make the choice every single day to carry a lethal weapon.

The years Taser product placement took over north american policing were **** brutal.

There was another recent tasing killing and it was clear they had learned none of the takeways, just kept tazing this person again and again and again and again. That's like, oh I didn't subdue him with 1 tranq dart, let me try 12. The body can only take so much electrocution before cardiac arrest. They do not taze themselves this much in training.

The units since those years where deaths were prevalent have afaik had their voltages lowered and police (through billions of dollars in additional political funding mind you) were to have already been trained on the actual lethal potential of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,737 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

if he hadn’t used the knife to injure another person, I’d agree.

however, he’d shown a propensity for deadly violence with the deadly weapon.

cops carry deadly weapons to protect themselves and the public…

he was an amputee yes, but the cops don’t need to risk their lives and wellbeing because of that..

If he was charging at them, I might see that point of view.

The cops risked their lives for the attacker of Paul Pelosi.

When cops do different things, it really throws a spanner in the ACAB wheels doesn't it.

Tasers are blatently used everywhere as a form of punishment. The repeated shocking isn't to subdue an already stunned person, it's to inflict severe pain.

The taser has two modes: the first, pulse mode, causes neuromuscular incapacitation as the neural signals that control muscles become uncoordinated, and muscles contract at random. The second mode, drive-stun, uses pain to get compliance.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/struck-taser-affects-human-body/story?id=55503687

The Taser has taken the place of a physical beating, but somehow what would be described as nothing less than torture in many other situations, US judges and officials in other countries find acceptable. Taser - OK - fists, kicking, not OK. There is absolutely no logic in differentiating the use of a Taser for punishment from a physical beating by a police person. The later is probably safer.

Police have killed over a thousand people using Tasers. A use-of-force expert says the weapon should be banned.

https://news.yahoo.com/police-killed-over-thousand-people-160800653.html

• Advertisement

Shur isn't that the whole theme of these threads? American cops are crazy, all gun toting murdering baxtards. Except the ones who dealt with Pelosi. Or the ones who don't shoot people unncessarily. The vast majority I'd imagine, but no, ACAB means they're all baxtards. And a lot of posters on here seem to fit that ACAB flag.

I've no idea why they dealt with Pelosi and Lowe different. I'd imagine one had a stabby instrument so was a tad more dangerous. Maybe the cops didn't like Mr. Pelosi so waited. Maybe the ones attending the Pelosi call were better trained. Who knows. This is why I like to wait until all the information is out. But it's also 'Merica, whole country is crazy so it's mad to lose it at yet another story from that messed up country.

There's no doubt 'Merican cops need better training, but not all of them. Just so happens to be such a big country that there's more than enough of these stories to hide all the non-negative interactions. 'Merica has a problem with guns, which is why I'm never surprised to hear these things. I honestly believe cases like Tyre are few and far between in the grand scheme of things. Lowe probably shouldn't have been shot as many times, but he definitely deserved to be shot imo. Ever had to take on anyone with a knife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's all well and good if they make contact with skin ,they are next to useless when a suspect is wearing a hoodie or jacket,

Unfortunately tazers neither work every time or guarantee they will put a person down especially if they are on substances or in the midst of a psychotic episode,

Would you rather be shot or tazed?

The idea that those are the only options speaks to your mindset.

Well I'm assuming if you're in a position where you're in threat of being shot or tazed, you've done something to incur that. So assuming that (I don't assume they're the only 2 options when dealing with the police for every situation, just that if you're in a position where they're gonna use them like the articles in this thread), which would you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

just cause the cops say he stabbed someone, doesnt make it so.

cops lie all the time.

however, even if he did, cops dont get to decide to execute someone cause they"re too lazy or inept to non-fatally capture a double amputee (who was hobbling away)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I been tazed twice (the things people do for fun) once with the old hand held tazers seen in 80s/90s movies and a more recent one that shoots barbs ,

It's an interesting experience ,

When it works, it works! But like was mentioned above, unless both barbs or contacts hit the skin, they can be ineffective. Doesn't excuse those who keep tazing, the whole idea is to incapacitate in order to arrest.

• Advertisement

But not repeatedly in an assault or anything? Like training? Or are you causing menace Dennis

Advertisement