Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house - impact on cats?

Options
  • 02-02-2023 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hi folks!

I've 2 cats, male and a female who we've had since they were a few weeks old and are about 6 years old now.

We are planning to move house in the next few months and we're moving from a housing estate in dublin to a one off house essentially surrounded by woodland.

The cats have been pretty comfortable coming and going around the area of our house in the estate and would regularly come in and out of the house and are healthy in general. My concerns here are the following:

1. Moving their "home"/"base" may lead to them getting lost. When we move, we may not be able to keep them in the house so if they wander off, I'm worried they won't know their way back? How long will it take a cat to get familiar with their surrounds to the point that they recognise "home"? One of them is very partial to a cat-bed we have but the tom has nothing like that we can reassure him with?
    2. The house is surrounded by acres of woodland but there is a neighbour close by with a german shepherd. The cats are used to dogs in the neighbours gardens but they travel across high walls around the gardens so they essentially treat these dogs with disdain :) These walls don't exist at the new place so I am a little concerned that they could cross paths and not have one of their "escape routes" ready to go? any tips here?
    3. There is definitely a thriving ecosystem near our new place, I've seen rabbit droppings and a lot of evidence of smaller animals. These cats are originally from a farming background so catching rodents would be second nature but I don't want to essentially introduce a killer into the area that's going to destroy all the local wildlife, again, any advice would be great?

Sorry for all the questions!

Answers

• the key thing is not letting them out for a few weeks at least when you move. They WILL get lost. This is common when people move and have pets that used to wander they don’t keep them in long enough and they wander odd and get themselves lost.

they may also attempt to head back for “home” or try find home so they need time to get used to new place. They’ll realise after a few weeks of being there constantly this is home.

It’s not a bad idea to bring them out on a lead or carrier to explore the new area as well but in a way they can’t run off and get themselves lost.

As for the dog and hunting cats will do what cats will do tbh. They’ll avoid the dog when they know they won’t get away easily (but the cats will have a way out you might not even think of) and the dog would be as much of a threat to local wildlife as the cats. It’s unlikely they’ll try and hunt a rabbit anyway because they’ll be fed by you they won’t care to is quite likely. They may but it is what it is.

Main things are to give them time to get used to their new home! If the Tom cat has no particular thing he’s especially fond of the best you can do I guess is offer his favourite foods and treats and whatever attention and play he wants when you can. Moving can be stressful for the pets too but just being there for them is the best thing!

Best of luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep, keep them entirely indoors for at least 3 weeks so they get used to the new place. They'll be fine with the dog too, cats are much faster and more agile than a german shepherd!

Once the three weeks have passed, try letting them out just before dinner and recalling them with the sound of their bowls/treats. Do this for a few more days, increasing the length of time you leave them outside each time.

If they wear collars (make 100% sure they're breakaway collars!!), you could consider fitting them with trackers. If the woodland is heavy and thick, you'd be better off with a radio tracker than a GPS one.

If you don't want them killing wildlife, all you can realistically do is keep them inside all the time. Outdoor cats will kill, no matter what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They will be fine. I have moved house several times with cats and it has only taken a short while, about a week, for them to get used to the notion that 'this is still where the food is served'. 6 years is old enough for the cats to be reasonably settled and know where they are well off. One time I moved to a situation where it was impossible to keep them in for more than about a day and a half, they got out but didn't go far and quickly settled down.

I think it depends a bit on whether they are family pets or just random cats who live around the house, whether they take off depends on their personality and whether they are more attached to you or their surroundings. On the last move one of the cats - a very anxious, nervy type, stayed for about a month then disappeared and was gone for a couple of months, then she just came home, thinner but healthy and no worse for her expedition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

When we moved a number of years ago, we put our fellow into the cattery he’s used to while the removal & installation of furniture took place so he missed the upheaval.

When he came to our new home, obviously layout etc was different but things presumably smelled like home to him. He has a buckle collar & lead we use when travelling with him & which he doesn’t mind, snap collar otherwise, so we put that on him & took him all around the house & garden for a walk a few times that first day & then he fell asleep in the most awkward part of the landing while boxes etc had to manoeuvred around him! After that we let him come & go as he pleased.

Unlike you, we moved from the country side to the town & we worried about roads etc but cats are pretty smart & their priority is themselves so they’ll figure out where they need to be.

In the countryside, where he lived with us for six years, he caught two birds, two mice & a rabbit that I know about. While he had all the freedom he wanted, he probably spent twenty two plus hours of most days inside! Older now, most of his time is inside, chittering at the birds using the feeder outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Lots of good advice above re keeping them in for a while. So re your other questions

Dogs - cats are cleverer, have sharper claws and can scale walls, trees etc. We had cats for years in our rural area and one used to love tormenting next door's dog from a safe distance. We had an actual wolf down the lane, and all sorts of frisky farm dogs nearby, not a problem.

Wildlife - no way round this, if you have a cat door your floor will now and then be strewn with feathers, blood, animal parts, live frogs, live rats etc. After our last furry friend departed this life, birds returned en masse to the garden. You can put a bell on them but unless they are used to having one they will become cross and will keep losing it in the undergrowth until you give up.

Keep them in a while, maybe use Feliway spray or diffuser to calm them (it works!) and they will soon be in their element.

• Advertisement

I would keep them indoors for at least six weeks, personally.

They will adjust. A family member of mine moved not long ago from a large house with a huge back garden to a 1 bed apartment without even a balcony, and his two cats have adjusted beautifully from being indoor / outdoor cats to be being full time indoor cats.

I also recommend feliway, and if your cats are not already microchipped, I would get that done immediately. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 IceT
    Owner of Irish Canine Education & Training

I've moved a few times with my two cats, 3 times now. Each time comes with its own stress but I would advise 4 weeks inside, especially if it is their first move. I have had friends where they move, the cat escapes and the we spend days/weeks looking for them only to find them back at the original house.

When I first god my second cat Parker, my friend who was staying with me left the back door open "just for a second" despite my numerous reminders not to and he escaped. Luckily he is the scardiest cat in Ireland so jumped the wall to find a jack russell, panicked and ended up underneath my neighbours shed. We found him the next day, terrified but absolutely fine.

As the weeks go on they will get braver and braver and eventually they will be constantly trying to escape. I am sure that you will be fine after 3 weeks but everything I have read says 4 weeks, it has worked for me and we will be using that if we move again. I would recommend giving them a room away from your bedroom (ideally downstairs) for when they decide they want to go out and you are trying chill out watching TV or reading a book, so you can give them some catnip, a couple of toys and close the door. Same when you are sleeping. If we did not lock ours in the sitting room we would have been 4 weeks without sleep.

Also recommend lost of play, lazer pointers (with care for their eyes), treat puzzles, chasing toys, things on sticks and more. Tire them out, once you see your cat panting they have had enough for now, although an hour later they will be ready to go. Before to go to bed play until they pant, feed them and walk away. Ideally be ready for bed before that, it re-enforced the prey, hunt, kill and sleep cycle and might help give you some peace as they get more and more insistent.

Regarding the killing thing, I had a similar issue. I was in an estate and now I live in the countryside just at the entrance to a small one horse town. We have a well insulated home so no chimneys, letter boxes or cat flaps so we have to lock them out, but we have them out at night and in all day. This drastically reduces the number or song birds they can kill and especially during fledgling season. If it is not going to be too cold or wet we just kick them out normally and let them back in a 6am, they have a converted dog kennel for shelter also with insulation just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Agree totally. re 6 weeks. from long painful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yep. cats are territorial. It takes them a long time to adjust. 4 weeks minimum indoors if you can manage it.

Never once any dead bits etc from any of my multiple cats. Oh there was a large dead rat way back. Beautiful creature.. If they catch prey they are very....discreet.No rabbits here but hares that are maybe too big for them.I think feeding raw may minimise predatory urges? They get raw chicken every day They go in and out as they ask and we are deep rural/island. Many moves over the years and no issues. I am at home 24/7 so we are strongly bonded. Currently 3, soon to be 5. ( I rescue) On bedrest a lot and currently 1 abed with me. No need for bells etc. We are few out here and they are well known! No other cats out here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Nardeant

Cats are known to have a strong sense of smell, so you can make their new space smell familiar by bringing along some of their old bedding or toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 IceT
    Owner of Irish Canine Education & Training

I forgot to say, if for any reason they ever get out early and you think they are lost. Put their litter tray outside, they can smell that for miles. You can always spread their litter on your grass. You'll never notice the smell but they will and will help them come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks very much for all the input here folks! I apologise for not responding sooner, I'm still trying to organise the house move.

But I do really appreciate all the details and insights from folks here, It's great to know that I can count on the experience of so many others :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Why do you think its ok to let your cats out at all?

To urinate and shite on peoples property and destroy other animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

destroy other animals? I assume you are a vegan so :D

As I said in the initial post, we're moving to a spot surrounded by woodland, Other people's property is not exactly close and they have their own animals? but I will DEFINITELY take on board the bitter ramblings of a grumpy troll :D

There is an old expression" Nature red in tooth and claw." And unless you are a strict vegan..... And never swat flies etc.... or deal with eg rats... and any aroma of cat will deter any sensible rat. Cats are a vital part of the ecology of rural life. and they LOVE running across fields, climbing trees.... Like the poster who responded to you I live deep rural, oceanside. They walk with me too. Great company...Oh and we get so much rain that no issues re their....emissions... Next dwelling is five fields away...

About moving... When we crossed to the island I felt VERY SAFE letting the cats loose immediately... There were no other cats here and very few folk... No predators,, so they were safe to explore. One of my then cats befriended an old man! Tapped on his window! He was charmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

See my comment below

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Moved 5 cats aged about 6 years old some years back.

Kept them inside for 6 weeks.

I would suggest getting a harness and leash. That was you can start introducing them to outside smells and helps familiarise things when they do go free and they won't panic as much.

If you are very worried you could install a nice Cattery out the back but any I’ve seen are very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

We had one cat that loved hunting.

He'd catch rats, mice, which was great and birds, which was not so great.

He has a collar and bell which had to be replaced regularly (cheap on Amazon) as he'd manage to lose them.

But he still caught birds. We'd keep him in until late morning and in at evening, dusk to avoid the bird kills. But he'd often get out through windows, doors open.

The thing is, if they kill a bird during breeding season, that's a nest full of nestlings that'll starve to death or a clutch of eggs that won't hatch.

It's just more and more pressure on birds which have less and less space to live these days. And people are getting more and more cats, but don't realise or care about this problem.

That cat was killed on the road and we all cried. He was a lovely cat. But, I don't miss the bird kills.

His brother can't really be arsed hunting and never loses his collar and bell.

So, it depends on the cat too.

In hindsight we should have made/bought a catio thingy for that cat. The cat would still be alive and also a lot more birds.

There are a lot more birds in the garden now and it's a lot less stressful.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is an issue that people need to be aware of.

Out here ( Atlantic island) in all the years I have never seen evidence of a bird kill from my cats. Rat, mouse.. and one bird that flew into its own reflection in the window.

We have very few trees etc so maybe that is a factor. And I do not feed the birds at the house. That is asking for trouble.

The birds are very aware...

The resident robin is a survivor!

Of course deep island rural is a different set up from residential. My first year a wren nested in the outhouse wall where she had done for years before i and my cats arrived, The next year she went elsewhere. She used to give me hell verbally!

we have bird predators out here too. And like my robin, birds are canny critters. Both species have their needs and natures and keeping my cats in is not an option. Oh I have found that feeding raw eg chicken reduces their prey drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

Moving to a new home can be a stressful experience for cats, but there are things you can do to help them adjust to their new surroundings and reduce the risk of them getting lost or getting into trouble with other animals.

1. Keep them indoors at first: When you first move, keep your cats indoors for a few weeks to allow them to get used to their new home and surroundings. This will help them to become familiar with the new scents and sounds and reduce the risk of them getting lost.
    2. Provide a familiar bed and toys: It's a good idea to bring your cat's favorite bed, toys, and litter box with you to the new house. Having familiar objects around can help to reassure them and make them feel more at home.
    3. Gradually introduce them to the outdoors: Once your cats have had time to adjust to their new home, you can start to let them explore the outdoors. Begin by supervising them and gradually increasing the amount of time they spend outside.
    4. Keep them safe from other animals: If there are other animals around, such as the neighbor's German Shepherd, it's important to keep your cats safe. Consider building an outdoor enclosure or using cat fencing to keep them contained.
    5. Provide appropriate prey alternatives: If your cats are natural hunters, you can provide them with appropriate prey alternatives such as interactive toys or puzzle feeders. This will help to satisfy their natural instincts without harming local wildlife.
    6. Microchip your cats: Make sure your cats are microchipped and wearing collars with identification tags. This will increase the chances of them being reunited with you if they do get lost.

Remember that it may take some time for your cats to get used to their new surroundings, but with patience and understanding, they should adjust well to their new home.

Advertisement