Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

At least in Britain, you have a chance of being housed in Rwanda - what's Ireland doing - putting refugees onto the streets.

This will add to the current communal disquiet about refugees in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

As an aside, the only immigrants I've really come across that struggle with English after any particular length of time are kitchen workers in places like Chinese restaurants who day-in day-out are among their language group. That's a very small minority of our immigration, and they're engaged in productive employment so who gives a sh*t?

It's the world's most spoken second language and you'd want to be running away from it not to learn it to at least a functional level here. If we're ranking problems with immigration, immigrants not learning English is very very low down the list.

I'm going to put my neck out here and am going to say that a hell of a lot of the protestors that have been whipped into a frenzy in various communities are recepients of welfare of some form or another, and the unspoken thing is their place on the housing list. I've no objections to them wanting their council house, but let's not pretend they're the men and women of Easter '16. They think immigrants are interfering with the honey pot they've been holding out for all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

The situation in the US seems to be at breaking point too. In NY they were housing refugees in hotels and now that they're moving them to less nice acommodation the refugees are protesting.

Surely its time the UN refugee convention was redrafted for current times so it doesn't get to a situation where countries do insist on a zero refugee policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A good chunk of them on the council waiting list or else their daughter is.

You have the same politicians wanting large social housing developments for these people.

Paul Murphy will be championing these people next week on housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Why does the notion that is constantly put out that "Modern Ireland was built by immigrants" or "without immigration we wouldn't have had the celtic Tiger" continually go unchallenged.

Ireland made it's great leap forward starting in the early to mid 1990's at that stage the only immigrant population of any decent scale here were people from the UK.

The massive improvement in Irish society from the 1990's onwards has nothing to do with immigration simple as that.

I have literally never heard anyone say those two things you have in quotation marks.

There can be little doubt that immigration has had an overwhelmingly positive effect on national productivity. Immigration is not without its downsides, but the type of immigration patterns we have experienced from both inside and outside the EU has in aggregate been economically and socially positive for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But not a shred of evidence that immigration ever harmed the economy, correct? Financial crash of 2008-12 was caused by Irish banks and property developers.

Current economy has been booming for the last 12+ months, despite "open borders" and "out of control mass immigration".

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

Maybe you should listen to the interviews of the people living in the Light House apartments, many of whom are immigrants themselves. Those interviews were left to Gript Media since not one mainstream media outlet in the country would talk to them. Some of them are paying full market rent and others mortgages. One immigrant couple had been intending to sell up and buy a larger apartment as the woman was pregnant; their home is now unmarketable. Who's going to buy an apartment at the centre of a media storm because four hundred young men are living yards away across a small courtyard in a building designed as an office block, with Garda and ambulance activity outside every night of the week? The lives of 150 families have been turned upside down overnight and no, it has nothing to do with chasing a "honey pot"; it has to do with wanting a return to some semblance of safety and normality, where they can let their children play in the courtyard and their teenaged daughters walk to school without getting sexually harassed in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Again there are different types of immigration.

We also have a very progressive tax system so most low wage jobs, that we are told immigrants fill, pay very little tax (and likely have a net cost).

Six years ago almost a third of housing lists in Dublin were foreign born. This has likely increased as our foreign born population has. So we are importing social welfare recipients.

Refugees are not paying our pensions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

The international protection or assylum process does not work in practical reality. That is the first point to resolve.

The second point is access to social welfare - how to refine this process to ensure access to welfare is equitable for the tax payers and sustainable as a model into the future. Unemployment levels within African migrant groups must run north of 50%. Roma gypsies probably north of 99% there’s over 30k of them here now and the numbers growing who decided this is a good idea? 300/400 million alone there a year. Link the cost of crime to the criminal PPS number so it is discharged against all future welfare entitlements. Simple enough step it would seem.

A refinement of the right to shelter v right to a home. Some people achieve the latter without ever working or social contribution. Again who pays here and for how long?

Revise the notion of a social contract and what you are expected to contribute to the society you benifit from. And the sanctions for actual criminals v people who make a mistake. The current system doesn’t address the former.

Non nationals who are engaged in criminality should be issued with expulsion orders. We are seeing increasing attacks on people in public facing roles from a cohort disconnected from the concept of respect equality and personal responsibility. Something most learn in the home but sadly no more.

If the systemic topics are dealt with in a calm non hysteric or indeed warped RTE weird prism view we have some chance.

I’m not optimistic seems like policy at an EU level to erode living standards and erase social justice. The current political system doesn’t reward change - it rewards apathy and societal decline.

We have had no net new hospital beds since the year 2000 even though populations grown by 1 million plus - we are now seeing the challenge accessing school places which was a predictable outcome. There is also no discussion on what planning needs to happen when our tax payer ratio drops from 5 to 1 currently to 2 to 1 in twenty years time.

Post edited by riddles on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This is garbage though.

The country isn’t falling apart at the seams.

It has a lot to do with the European Union though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

We have an unsustainable economy - your view of societal decline is painted by your current living standards and changed as these decline.

How have we an unsustainable economy and what’s this got to do with refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

Illegal immigration being discussed on Newstalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Exactly this, it is akin to beggars complaining other beggars are crowding their lucrative spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Protesters had earlier shouted abuse at a man who was trying to bring his wife to hospital when he asked them to move their initial blockade of a road into Finglas.

The man had been attempting to bring his wife for kidney dialysis when he got caught in a traffic jam caused by the demonstrators. 

When he left his car to confront them, he was met with verbal abuse from some of the protestors, who could be heard shouting “fat bastard” at the man and “you’re either with us or against us”.

A woman who also got out of her car to say she was late for work, was called a “slut” and told to “fúck off”.

One of the protestors was openly carrying a placard with the Nazi swastika sign

Next level scum.

The man who described himself as an organiser of the demonstration insisted those present were not racist.

😕

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Some interesting comments on the refugee issue.

As to the above - I'm against any protest in front of migrants. Any protest should be outside the Dáil or Department of Justice.

Migrants are vulnerable people.

Protests should be aimed at the system not the people.

I'd also be careful to take initial reports of Protests. We saw what's happened with Hollands report unravelling in the Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I just love how those for now as good as open borders shytology conflate legitimate immigrants from other EU countries or VISA approved immigrants from outside EU with primarily a bunch of lads from a couple of countries in Eastern Europe, Middle East, Central Asia, North Africa, the Horn of Africa and a bunch of people from a particular country in Sub Saharan Africa who have arrived here claiming asylum, often now with no documentation at all.

One set of people are fellow EU citizens or VISA holder with a right to live and work here.

The other are primarily a bunch of freeloaders on the make.

One set do indeed help make the country more productive because they often fill necessary roles in employment market.

The other just adds extra costs to the state welfare, education, healthcare, housing bills.

Only the vested interests that want to continue the charade mix up the two groups.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

People are concerned and frightened. I’m seeing terrible reports of crimes that are not being reported in the mainstream media. I’ve no idea how true they are, but it frightens me. Whenever you hear Larry Murphys name people go into overdrive about where he is, so fearful of him. but we are letting total strangers into our country unvetted. They could have been doing all sorts of crime in their home countries and land in here then, claiming asylum who knows? I’m just saying we have no clue, and we are foolish, it is little wonder to me that people are afraid. Aside from that, there is the additional pressure on our systems that were barely fit for purpose before that are now creaking at the seams. The more the mainstream media dismiss people’s concerns, make them out to be lunatic right wingers or god forbid, racist, the more people will fear and will cling to their beliefs. We are nuts in this country, totally consumed about what others think of us, where to be called a racist is nearly the worst thing possible. We need to cop on and have some very honest conversations (and mainstream media glossing over things is not helping) about how we balance our obligations to others with our obligations to ourselves. We can help, we should help, but there’s a right way and a wrong way, and the system needs overhauling and the politicians need to have some guts.

You're "seeing terrible reports of crimes that are not being reported"

Read that back to yourself. Are you sure you're not talking about rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

So the government open dp centers in areas without planning permission and people cant protest in their own neighbourhood? Maybe if they had a public consultation they wouldn’t have these issues and not sneak them in under the cover of darkness. The planned centers in wealthy south side areas were shot down pretty quickly. I guess they are all racists too. Absolute staggering level of incompetence and arrogance from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Maybe if they had a public consultation they wouldn’t have these issues and not sneak them in under the cover of darkness.

Wouldn't they? Or would they end up with nowhere to house asylum seekers as every 'community group' group they consult with tells them firmly NIMBY!

This was always coming. Some of the scrots outside these accomodation centers howling invective and bile are sailing very close to the wind. There will be vulernerable people in every single one of these centres. A baying mob does f*ckall for anything.

If people have "genuine local concerns", organise, get your town hall meeting with the relevant minister or official and press your concerns instead of behaving like brownshirts on Kristallnacht (yes I went there, and no, some of these scumbags aren't too far off it).

So everyone doesn’t want this? Then why are all the protesters called a small group of far right extremists? The narrative is extremely weak.

A refugee is required to claim asylum in the first country they enter, not pass through multiple safe countries with the aim of getting the the country with the softest rules and best welfare. The more the system is played the angrier people will get.

The scumbags are the ones destroying their documentation and playing the refugee system like a fiddle. I don’t give a dam about them.

Absolute scum.

Thankfully these people are the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ha saw this...pretty spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Well you see, with the way the mainstream media is behaving, I’m thinking just because it’s not reported on doesn’t mean it’s a rumour. They do seem to have some very clear agendas, especially rte. Again back to my point on honesty being needed on all sides.

Advertisement