Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Wales v Ireland, Sat 4th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: VM1, BBC1, S4C

Options
  • 01-02-2023 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭

Broadcasting: TV: Virgin Media One, BBC One, S4C, Online: VM Player, BBC iPlayer, Radio: RTÉ Radio 1, BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio Ulster.

Location: Principality Stadium, Cardiff (Roof will be closed.)

Match Officials:

Referee: Karl Dickson (RFU)

ARs: Angus Gardner (RA) & Luke Pearce (RFU)

TMO: Tom Foley (RFU)

Teams:

Wales 6 Nations squad:

Forwards (20): Rhys Carre, Wyn Jones, Gareth Thomas, Dewi Lake, Ken Owens (capt), Bradley Roberts, Leon Brown, Tomas Francis, Dillon Lewis, Adam Beard, Rhys Davies, Dafydd Jenkins, Alun Wyn Jones, Teddy Williams, Taulupe Faletau, Jac Morgan, Tommy Reffell, Justin Tipuric, Christ Tshiunza, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs (17): Kieran Hardy, Rhys Webb, Tomos Williams, Dan Biggar, Rhys Patchell, Owen Williams, Mason Grady, Joe Hawkins, George North, Nick Tompkins, Keiran Williams, Josh Adams, Alex Cuthbert, Rio Dyer, Leigh Halfpenny, Louis Rees-Zammit, Liam Williams.

(After the initial team announcement Liam Williams replaces Leigh Halfpenny due to injury (hip knock in training, followed by a back spasm))

Wales: (15-9, 1-8) L Williams (Cardiff); J Adams (Cardiff), G North (Ospreys), J Hawkins (Ospreys), R Dyer (Dragons); D Biggar (Toulon), T Williams (Cardiff); G Thomas (Ospreys), K Owens (Scarlets, capt), T Francis (Ospreys); A Beard (Ospreys), A W Jones (Ospreys); J Morgan (Ospreys), J Tipuric (Ospreys), T Faletau (Cardiff).

Replacements: S Baldwin (Ospreys), R Carre (Cardiff), D Lewis (Cardiff), D Jenkins (Exeter), T Reffell (Leicester), R Webb (Ospreys), O Williams (Ospreys), A Cuthbert (Ospreys).

Rugby Analyst WALES SELECTION REACTION | Wales v Ireland | 6 Nations 2023

Eggchasers Rugby WALES v Ireland 2023 - WALES SELECTION REACTION

The Rugby Pod Previews Wales V Ireland - Six Nations 2023

Ireland’s team for the match will be revealed on Thursday. The squad is as follows:

(After the initial squad announcement uncapped Ulster player Tom Stewart was called up due to injury to Rónan Kelleher (hamstring during training))

(Tadhg Furlong didn't recover in time to play a part in this fixture, due to calf and ankle injuries, hopeful to be fit for next week)

Backs (17):

Bundee Aki (Connacht), Ross Byrne (Leinster), Craig Casey (Munster), Jack Crowley (Munster), Keith Earls (Munster), Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster), Mack Hansen (Connacht), Hugo Keenan (Leinster), Jordan Larmour (Leinster), James Lowe (Leinster), Stuart McCloskey (Ulster), Conor Murray (Munster), Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster), Jamie Osborne (Leinster), Garry Ringrose (Leinster), Johnny Sexton (Leinster, capt), Jacob Stockdale (Ulster)

Forwards (21):

Ryan Baird (Leinster), Finlay Bealham (Connacht), Tadhg Beirne (Munster), Jack Conan (Leinster), Gavin Coombes (Munster), Caelan Doris (Leinster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Cian Healy (Leinster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Rob Herring (Ulster), Rónan Kelleher (Leinster), Tom Stewart (Ulster), Dave Kilcoyne (Munster), Joe McCarthy (Leinster), Peter O’Mahony (Munster), Tom O’Toole (Ulster), Andrew Porter (Leinster), Cian Prendergast (Connacht), James Ryan (Leinster), Dan Sheehan (Leinster), Josh van der Flier (Leinster)

Team Named:

RTÉ Rugby podcast: Six Nations preview with Neil Treacy, Bernard Jackman and Ian Keatley

Interview with Hugo Keenan and Tadhg Beirne | Wales preview, Ireland's bad Cardiff record and being world number 1

Come on Ireland! ☘️

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

A (grammatically fare more solid) challenger appears!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Kudos

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so the other thread is the build up, and this is the match thread??

happy days !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Karl dickinson is the ref who had no issue with joey being halved in front of him recently in Toulouse or Marler calling the bristol players sick mother a Whore within earshot recently either.

To say he lets things go might be an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The Carbery tackle was grand, no matter what your Twitter feed says, and Dickson said he didn't hear what was said by Marler.

We're in for a long seven weeks if the abuse of the refs is starting before a ball is kicked.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

His names not even Dickinson

Hes a grand ref and wont be the difference between the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Refs rarely if ever are the difference

We're going in as strong favourites and unless we lose players early on or something unlikely happens i think we should be disappointed without coming back with a win. I just hope to catch some of the game while at work Saturday afternoon....

Owen Doyle writing in the IT this week pretty much said the exact opposite - that he thinks Dickson is sometimes almost too quick to penalise, especially at the breakdown - something he thought would favour Ireland given Wales' intentions to disrupt Ireland's attack.

We are in for a much longer 7 weeks if you start referring to a point of view as being abuse. Come off the stage a bit there ya drama queen.

He had no problem with the tackle, and neither did the citing officer so its hard to argue with that.

Now others around the game felt it warranted additional investigation but hey everyone has an opinion it is what it is.

Tbh i dont think he is one of the top 5 refs in the world, he certainly isnt the worst but his calls and what he missed in the TL v Munster game were just poor on both sides. its clear to see going by some of the officiating appointments in the 6 nations that they are using it to develop, give experience and opportunity to refs ahead of the RWC.

• Advertisement

Doyle said he is quick to whistle at the breakdown, both those incidents i mentioned were not at the breakdown, maybe he is strict at ruck time and loose in the loose.

The interesting thing from that article is the removal of the pre game coaches & ref meeting.

I wonder how that will play out as it was often an opportunity to get approval for some slight of hand that teams had concocted, or get refs to concentrate on areas of the opposition which are boarder line or just illegal.

Its an interesting 6 nations as players, coaches and officials try to earn their place on the plane to France.

Yeah, I remember a lot of commentators and journalists praising the meeting between coaches and refs pre-game when it was first introduced, but it's easy enough to believe Doyle's view that refs perceive it as just something coaches do to try and pile additional pressure on referees.

It could lead to frustration if teams are allowed to get away with something obvious that wasnt allowed to be highlighted.

One to watch for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Opening game, Cardiff, Gatland is back and so are a lot of his old playing crew.

Be afraid...Be very afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thornley saying McCloskey to start at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭maebee

Is anybody doing the Guinness Six Nations Fantasy game?

Does anybody know if you HAVE to have 3 subs? Is it possible to have only two? I'm out of budget at two. I looked up the rules and can't find an answer to this.

But Aki on the bench so looks like whatever issues there are at Connacht haven't followed him into Ireland camp.

Ross Byrne also tipped to bench which is quite a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

be afraid, be very afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Not a fan of Aki on the bench, pretty limited option to bring on versus alternatives like JOB, Osbourne or Larmour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes, I think you either start Aki or you leave him out of the 23. I'd have Larmour on the bench personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Agree with the above, he's really not a good choice for the bench. What do we do if one of the back 3 get injured? It just doesn't make sense vs JOB or Larmour imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Farrell has been pretty happy selecting a centre in the 23 jersey tho, and I can’t remember too many times we’ve had to play someone out of position. (I think all of Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, McCloskey and Farrell have been named in the 23 jersey at one point or another).

I will say tho, I think there’s more of a case to have someone more versatile if Ross Byrne is the sub 10.

If Keenan goes down early, I think Hansen is the only one ever to have played FB, and even that is limited to one or two games?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If we're afraid of these we have big problems, that is not a good Welsh team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

JOB and Osbourne have played there but I don't think either will make the 23. Larmour, Earls and Stockdale have also, but let's not mention that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

All it means is that Aki would come in at centre and Ringrose would move to wing and one of the wings would move to fullback.

The question is, would that shuffle around result in a better backline than an alternative situation where a centre got injured and had to bring in one of those 3 mentioned above into the centre.

Could just put Earls or JOB in the 23 jersey to cover 11-15 and always the added possibility of moving Ringrose to 12 and bringing the sub on at 13.

Yeah, to me that's way more disruptive. Hansen hasn't played a lot at FB for Connacht, and Lowe absolutely isn't a FB. I know Farrell has favoured this approach of a centre in the 23 shirt, but Aki to me lacks versatility - he's just a 12 at this point, and given the other fitness issues or lack of game time, I wouldn't have him in the 23 shirt.

You've already got guys in your backline like Sexton, McCloskey and Ross Byrne who equally have limited versatility, so you're really not protecting yourself by picking Aki at 23 imo. To me, it's a choice between JOB's form or Earls' experience for the shirt. I'd go for JOB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't think it'll happen, but another option is Crowley in the 22 shirt. That'd allow you have Aki at 23 and cover a lot of options.

Personally think it could be 22. RB 23. JOB tho.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but then you're taking a big (and not insignificant risk) of Sexton going down early, and relying on Crowley to win the game at 10. I don't know if he's there yet.

Crowley does give great versatility from the bench, but to me the RB & JOB option looks the most logical.

Advertisement