Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Agree with this - I have the gortex version which seem really heavy for running in .Have hiked loads in them but not a fan of running in them

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I use Hoka Speedgoat 4's & 5's for most of the trails here in Ireland, more technical stuff (very wet, technical ascents/descents I have the X-Talon Ultra 260. The latter are hard and firm, not great on roads (obviously), but fit well and feel very trustworthy. I tried Salomon Speedcross 4's, hated them, too narrow and tight fitting. Found I rolled a lot on them.

I love the Speedgoats; as sav1 said there's a bit of difference between 4's and 5's. But I ran about a 90 to 100km with each in the Kerry Way Ultra and loved them both. 4's feel softer, more cushioned, not as good as 5's on muddy tracks but ideal for dry trails

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

Is there any issue bringing energy gels, powdered substances like Tailwind, hydration tabs etc in your carry on luggage for a flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I don't think so. Went to Spain last month with Maurten gels, drink mix and hydration tabs and no issue with it being in my carry on bag with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Me too - went to the lake district for a trail run with Ryanair a few years back, had gels and other stuff and it wasn't an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

There are no issues whatsoever with any tablets or powders (of the sporting kind). Strictly speaking the gels should be in your bag for liquids and count towards your allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

NO issues by airline. Thats not to say the airport security wont have an issue but no real way to know this in advance, could just be a certain agent etc.

Should be fine though

I'm looking for an Android Interval Timer app that I can use in a C25k class does the following :

- Allows me to play a Spotify play list

- lower the volume of the music and plays some kind of noise when it's time to switch to walk/run etc

- resumes the Spotify play list

There is such an app for the iPhone which I think is called HIIT although it allows use of Apple Music rather than Spotify.

Would anyone have a suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Is there one, or a best website that shows all available races? I get emails from different organisers like bear races and the Irish life race series but looking for one place to view most races.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The Munster Running blog has a decent enough calendar of events in Munster and some surrounding counties. It's not perfect by any means, but comes in handy sometimes - https://munsterrunning.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

Not sure if there is an equivalent for the entire country, or Dublin/Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Are the Saucony Tempus the replacement for the Hurricane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

www.runningcalendar.ie

Just hit the search button, you don’t need to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Lindie Naughton's list is by far the most comprehensive. That runningcalendar.ie one doesn't have Trim or Bohermeen, two of the biggest races of the year.

I find that keeping an eye on the upcoming events on myrunresults.com and popupraces.ie covers 90% of the road stuff. But then you have BHAA, IMRA, track meets etc. that only get listed together on Lindies blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

I shamelessly stole this topic from the running sub on Reddit, and perhaps it deserves a separate thread of its own, but.

What are your favourite running gadgets or accessories?

So far my favourite gadget/accessory is my Garmin 955 solar it was a bit of an impulse purchase on my behalf and I probably could have got away with the lower priced 255, but I thought you only live once, so why not get the best you can afford, although I'm not sure if the solar panel makes any difference to the battery life, and that was with testing it out in Spain for two weeks almost always with sunshine.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

I work in one of the hottest/sunniest places in the world and don’t think the solar does a thing on my Fenix 7

To answer your question, bought bone conducting headphones and they were a game changer. Much safer running around cars with them on

Would echo that, my Shokz are the best running thing I own

Quick one, has anyone heard of or used https://www.misterrunning.com/ before?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Not yet but they do have a good rating on trust pilot so I would say they are most definitely genuine.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.misterrunning.com

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I suspect this wont be much use to you now, but I did a couch to 5k last year using an app called "Just Run" and it doesn't integrate with spotify inside the app or anything, but it does interrupt spotify to let you know the intervals. I'll be honest, I don't remember if it pauses the music or lowers the volume, but you can definitely hear the interval change anyways. I basically exclusively run while listening to music on spotify and this app worked well for me.

Best of luck with the running!

Just as a heads up, if you put on the "Audio Announcements" on Strava, it will do the same thing. Even though I ran this morning, I actually can't remember if it pauses it either :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Strava audio announcements lower the volume of the music but they don't pause it.

Thanks @witnessmenow

In the end I went old school and just used a whistle and manual timer while letting the music play away on the amp. The Interval Timer - HIIT Training app by Polycents on google play would probably have worked. While it doesn't lower the sound on Spotify the buzzers can be heard enough over it.

I have a pair of Nike Air Zoom Tempo NEXT%, the yellow ones with flyknit upper. This morning I went for a run and the roads were muddy so they have gotten fairly dirty. Anyone any tips on how to get those type of runners clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I bought a little device called a boot buddy for cleaning the kids boots after hurling etc. Have used it on some of my runners also and it works great.

Oh I think I have one of them from my football days, must dig it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I normally use baby wipes to get the worst of it off.

I've used dishwater tablets and hot water for the kids trainers but not sure if I'd be comfortable submerging expensive super shoes in that mix tbh...maybe using a cloth with that might do the trick?

I'm going to stretch the "Random" part of the title here, but one of my hobbies is building arduino/raspberryPi/internet connected devices. I'm trying to get back into it and think having a couple of projects related to running that might be fun/useful. Some ideas I had so far:

• Connect to my Strava Account and display some information from that on a screen. Maybe total Km for the year, or for the week or whatever. Not sure it's overly useful. I did have the idea of maybe tracking mileage on your runners, but I see strava does that in the app!
    • One thing I find myself doing before runs is checking the weather to decide what gear to wear. Maybe something that checked the forecast and suggested whats appropriate (like: "its raining so wear your jacket", "it's below Xc so wear a long sleeve")
    • Not directly run related, but I was thinking of one where I could connect it up to my weighing scales and get it to tweet once a week! A bit of public accountability for my weight loss journey!

Any other ideas for things like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭marathon2022

All interesting, if you get them up and running drop a link to your git, I do a bit of tinkering too, have a good few pi(3,4 zeros) and esp32s lying around. With the weighing scales project above I would be inclined to use an ESP32 and transfer data using MQTT to a Django app on the same raspberry as the broker. Although if you have a smart scale you could link it to a Django app on a Pi without IoT devices.

Plenty of weather api's you could use with a bit of script to trigger messages :-) Use chat GPT or copilot to write it, saves hours

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe have it show you milage for this week so far and last week and then average over last X amount of weeks. It could encourage you to go for a run if you see you haven't done much this week compared to the past few weeks.

• Advertisement

Oh cool! Yeah I mainly work with esp32 stuff, I got tweeting directly from an esp32 working last year and a good while ago I had played around with an esp32 talking ble to my scales so it's just a matter of squishing those projects together! Will post back here when I get it up and running

Haha, must get used to our chat bot based overlord doing my work for me!

Yeah I like that idea! Thanks

Advertisement