Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No doubt they've lost more since that article was written both on the field and to mechanical failures etc.

A lot of the MBTs the Ukrainians already had, and what they'd captured to date are inferior to the better T80s and T90s the Russians are using and when encountering them 1v1, the Ukrainians are having to back off, call in backup and attempt to take them on with superior numbers i.e. 3v1 fights. The vastly superior Abrams, Leopards or Challengers wouldn't need to wait, they'd just destroy the T80/T90 in front of them and move on to the next.

No its because they lack ammunition for old soviet equipment,allthough they have captured some ammo depots from the russians.

And the western tanks have better survivability and first hit probability then russian tanks,thats why they need them.

You can believe whatever you want,something thats not new with you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People in the West underestimate the level of control in countries like Russia , it is vastly more open than under pure Communism but it is still operating in a Communistic manner, which is still repression and control in every aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Are you serious? Really? Any Ukrainians that I know, roundly curse Putin in particular and his fellow Russians in general for the death and misery they have visited on the world, especially in Ukraine. I don't speak Ukrainian so I don't understand what they are saying, but if facial expressions and gestures are anything to go by, ( spitting is one such gesture, especially when Putins name is mentioned ) it shows the depth of feeling's they have for Russians, and is sure as hell is a lot worse than being called "ORC's". They have absolutely no objection to anyone anywhere calling Russians the most derogatory terms they can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Do you think Ukraine should sue for peace today?

What is your position here, that Ukraine fighting is folly as they are eventually going to get beaten anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's a feedback loop for their neverending victim complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Well of course they do. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. My point was that it would be silly to suggest they do anything else. But on an Irish discussion forum, the allowance of one pejorative for a nationality and not others struck me as a double standard.

In the subject of being misunderstood, people also seem to think I am emotionally invested in the subject of this language, as opposed to objectively curious, or that I'm an apologist for Russia's actions for bringing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I think the time to sue for peace was March/April 22 after Putins spectacular failure to take Kiev

My position is that many posters here live in somewhat of an echo chamber and are convinced that a never-ending stream of arms is coming to Ukraine and they will in time win back all lost territory including Crimea. And also that Russia has 100k dead and another 300k wounded or something - last week it was what? 450k casualties? lol

Even US defence officials dont believe that will be the case, so hard to see how it will happen when the people supplying the weapons think its unlikely.

Indeed, just much more advanced and sophisticated. I see Putin having power in Russia as long as he's alive.

It doesn't even need to be that sophisticated, look at N Korea, gulags and indoctrination, basically an entire country imprisoned and working for the sole purpose of feeding a dynasty of family leaders imported lobster while they suffer. Autocracy is very successful if done right, more so in the modern age. Putin just practices a very potent, savvy, form of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So what does ukraine have to give up for peace,

And what will Putin be getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Personally NeutralHandle, I've always believed in calling a spade a spade, regardless of the locations, conditions, circumstances etc. And if the generic description of calling murderous, rapacious, thieving evil sub-human's can be reduced to a single word "ORC's", I'm all for it, and that goes for any nationality, not necessarily Russian who produce individuals of the same ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To be precise, it is used in reference to Russia's military, invasion force and assorted mercenaries & its cheerleaders of hatred and propaganda. It is not used on this thread in reference to all Russians.

Who are being targeted for death right now by Ukrainian armed forces.

So it is kinda hard to argue it is incitement to violence against them, when they are already in the sights of actual armed people killing them in open warfare.

And those 'orcs' are free to surrender themselves to Ukrainian forces at any point, and receive Geneva Convention protections. What is said on this forum won't affect that, it is dictated by Ukraine's past actions on the battlefield.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Simple answer, Ukraine gives up Ukraine and Russia gets Ukraine.

I believe that's what some posters want.

Realistically there's never going to be a peace with Putin in power. No treaty he signs will be upheld. Ukraine and the west will be expecting war crimes to be punished, sanctioned money to be used as compensation, the 750k kidnapped returned.

Absolutely no way Putin would ever agree to that and those terms are certainly not unreasonable for Ukraine to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

OK, and what parts of Ukraine should be given up?

You do realise that since March/April 22 that Ukraine has liberated much more land since then?

You do know that Russia has lost this war, the only thing that remains to be seen is whether can Ukraine win it. If not then there will be a stalemate and some sort of peace treaty.

Also, even in the event of a peace treaty how can we guarantee Ukraine's borders, whatever form they may be? Can you answer this point as its very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There is always this tension in the thread, people with various bias arguing whether Ukrainian resistance is successful or not or whether it is futile going forward or if they can get outright victory. For me it's not important because they have no choice anyway, the choice is death on the battlefield or death under occupation or enslavement and possible death under occupation for a Ukrainian. From a western perspective the calculation is even easier, a Russia that hates you and is confident or a Russia that hates you and is weakened. The prospect of victory seems irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭vimalandrew

I want to tell the reality. From what I read from my home Indian media. NATO and European Union were doing so many things against Russia. There is a lot of religious thing involved here.

Vatican influenced the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople and made him declare that Ukrainian Orthodox Church is separate from Russian Orthodox Church. So that Catholic church can infiltrate into Ukrainian church as it did into other orthodox churches in previous centuries. This is the final provocation Russia occupied Ukraine.

Now we can go back to 10th century. Byzantine empire was the gloriest empire and Constantinople was its capital. Byzantine or Eastern orthodox church was the largest church in the world. Holy land was occupied by Mohammedans with the support of Antioch and Alexandrian patriarchates which are Oriental orthodox different from Byzantine and catholic. With the blessing of Pope in Rome, European crusaders started marching to liberate holy lands from Muslims. Instead they march to Constantinople, the largest city in the world; looted and destroyed the city. As a result Byzantine empire declined and also the Eastern orthodox church. This helped Ottoman Sultan, Mehmed to conquer Constantinople in 14th century. After this Europe flourished, prospered and now is a beautiful garden. All this happened by using the propaganda- Pope in Rome is the successor of Apostle Peter.

Now historians and scholars have found one thing. this list of bishops from apostle Peter is fake created by Roman catholic church after the Council of Chalcedon in AD 451. Byzantine Orthodox church in Constantinople also created fake list of bishops beginning from Apostle Andrew after the Council. The only church which has the exact list of bishops beginning from Apostolic times is the Church of Antioch. This revelation led to the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI.

Scholars have pointed out that it is better to be part of an independent orthodox church. This is because Antiochian patriarchate survived with the help of Islamic Caliphate and majority of that area is converted to Islam. So Eastern orthodox chrisitianity is the best for a Christian. But if Vatican tries to infiltrate and create problems for the prosperity of Europe, then the issue starts.

Kramatorsk has been shelled again today by Russia after striking an apartment block last night ,

The previous day they shelled a grave yard in the same area , killing Ukrainians in their homes ,in their schools and their hospital,and now attacking the already dead

What do you think should be done at present?

Less weapons sent? More?

Or something else

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well unfortunately the US support is inadequate and highly qualified. And that's not just my opinion, it's also that of several formerly senior US military commanders.

The HIMARS were geo fenced and their range limited.

The Abrams to be supplied are not from US stocks, they are coming from the manufacturer. This means getting tanks from allies, shipping them to the US, fully dismantling them and rebuilding them from scratch, minus any capabilities the US wants to hold back, like their secret armour (if the tanks have it). This is why it's going to take so long. They can do two tanks a day and the process including checks, callibration and testing, takes two weeks.

The GDLSB long range munitions are not coming from US stocks, they will manufacture them frrom scratch because the US wants to limit their useful capability by leaving out normal features like the laser guidance. Also they will likely geofence them as they did with the HIMARS

And Biden helpfully said 'no F-16s.' and cluster munitions.

The Orcs are supposedly assembling a 500,000 strong invasion force. When it crosses into Ukraine, I suspect they will finally commit a significant proportion of their large aircraft fleet to a swamping and destruction of air defences in an all or nothing effort. I think all this time, they probably have been fixing a lot of aircraft that were unusable.

So the US supply chain is deliberately slow because they first have to spend time manufacturing most of the sophisticated stuff because what they are sending is all special Ukraine specific versions that have been suitably neutered and with secret bits left off them.

Pilots should be training in F-15s now, not F-16s. The lead time is so long that if the training isn't done, 'just in case', instead of 'no F-16s', Ukraine could be in deep trouble if the Orcs have been fixing their planes and commit to using most of them in an aerial and ground blitzkrieg.

The US said it will do everything necessary for Ukraine to defend itself and prevail, and IMO, they are a very long way off from doing that because their manufacture from scratch approach means the lead times are excessive and artificially extended. If something happens rapidly, the stuff needed to counter it needs to already be in the country or Poland and Ukrainians need to be trained, not on a spec sheet on the computer screen of a purchasing officer in some US factory.

I have to give a shout out to Poland for possibly being worried and on to this problem. They now seem almost desperate to train Ukrainians on the Leopards and want to accelerate the trining regime and shorten it to just two weeks.

If they are worried, I'm worried. We might have fallen ito a trap of underestimating the Orcs in the same way they underestimated the west's resolve and response and Ukriane.

This is a summary from a week of topics on a Telegram channel, the gist of which is that something's up:

#event_digest February 1, 2023.

🔹 There will be a new wave of invasion of the horde: the GUR reported what task Gerasimov will try to complete in March.

🔹The threat of an offensive from Belarus: intelligence told what Lukashenka decided.

🔹Poland wants to halve the training of Ukrainian defenders on the Leopard so that the equipment is on the battlefield as quickly as possible.

🔹The threat to Kyiv and the role of Belarus: what a vile offensive Russia is preparing for the spring and whether it will be successful.

🔹A military analyst has denied the fake about the F-16 fighter.

🔹Mobilization in Ukraine: what types of summonses and where they can be handed.

🔹The EU wants to teach twice as many Ukrainian soldiers to fight against Russia - media.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Is it WION thats spouting such shyte?

Wouldnt surprise me.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement

Reason #387 for Russia invading Ukraine, but not being responsible for it. Religious gobbledegook.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

@cnocbui

The Abrams to be supplied are not from US stocks, they are coming from the manufacturer. This means getting tanks from allies, shipping them to the US, fully dismantling them and rebuilding them from scratch, minus any capabilities the US wants to hold back, like their secret armour (if the tanks have it). This is why it's going to take so long. They can do two tanks a day and the process including checks, callibration and testing,

That's not true,

Export Abrams and older Abrams don't come with the depleted uranium mesh in it's armor,they won't have to be stripped and rebuilt minus any capabilities,

Where are you reading that

Hopefully they can really start manufacturing these things in large numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I said 'if they have it'. It's not even remotely close to being the main issue.

One official mentioned it is likely that the Biden administration would use the USAI process to purchase Abrams from allies, repair them, and then send them to Ukraine. This process could last months and even years.

Can you imagine how long it's going to take to get allies to consider, debate, legislate and then act, just to get hold of the tanks in the first place? That is going to be several months alone, if done really quickly.

And here's a piece on what 'from the manufacturer' really means: https://www.cnet.com/culture/before-the-battlefield-making-the-armys-abrams-tank/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Thanks for the thorough response. It's clear the US are holding back and personally that is unfortunate but I guess I can see why from their perspective they might have some competing priorities. I think they have been stung in the past by oversupplying untrained allies who failed to fully utilize the hardware. They claim that they are providing what they believe will be effective capability and so far in this war at least they have been right 100% of the time, even predicting the invasion when others refused to. They are never going to give their hand away, exposing their strategic technological advantages unless they have to. Lets be honest, the US ,second only to the Ukrainians themselves, are the main reason that Ukraine is still in the fight and will continue to be. However, Ukraine pales in comparison to US interests in the western pacific for example, they have an iron in every fire and exposing some tactical or strategic weakness accidentally in Ukraine could jeopardise their advantage elsewhere (i.e. China). Also, I can see why there may be a continued US frustration with decades of european under investment in defense capability, whilst relying on US superiority to protect their geopolitically aligned interests, all while occasionally decrying US imperialism. This too is a game, even between allies. I can see US reticence to immediately come to the rescue here, within europe itself, again, without at least putting serious pressure on supposed european leadership to basically pull even half of its own weight. For example, as much as we complain about the German response here, France actually has invested over decades in a modern military and yet they lie on the sidelines as usual, trying to take a superior stance of non aggression which as a mask for self preservation and cowardice, slipped a century ago.

If the us wanted they could ask Poland to transfer a few of theirs which can be replaced in a later order,

The Abrams was used to get the Germans on board to allow the transfer of leopards to Ukraine from themselves and elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Either go to wartime production of artillery shells and artillery pieces and supply Ukraine with enough artillery so that they have superiority in that area (currently are outshelled more than 10-to-1 and its causing much attrition)

Otherwise pressure both sides for negotiations and some kind of settlement. Without enough artillery Ukraine will lose more territory. Some may take solace in the fact that the gains over the past 6 months have been minimal, measured in 10s of kms - but outside of the densely populated & built-up Donbass the terrain is much more open, flat and more sparsely populated. If this conflict goes on long enough that the Russians reach the Kramatorsk-Slayvansk line of defence, it really is the last good line of defence before the Dnieper.

Its time to sh*t or get off the pot - either fully commit to supply Ukraine with the works (large numbers of tanks, APCs, artillery, MLRS, AA) even if it risks emptying western countries' stocks, or push for a ceasefire and negotiations. The current system of dripfeeding arms just prolongs the conflict and the destruction & loss of life. Ukraine has a demographic crisis on the way unless they can reverse that massive gap between 16 and 35, another year of conflict eats into those numbers further.

That article is dates 2013 ,and sales of Abrams to foreign allies is at all time high,it's likely that the 30 tanks already exist ,but the Americans don't want to send them, instead they baithed the Germans to allow export of their tanks directly to Ukraine saving the US from having to send any tanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

France is doing plenty too. But also not shouting about it.

And what is this Europe pressed to carry at least half its weight echo chamber guff. Consider that the greater part of the continent redesigned its entire economy to cut out rus oil and gas.

Then the literal millions of refugees housed. The double edged sanctions. The billions in loans and grants. Then the small books worth of military hardware given.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement