Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Wales v Ireland, Sat 4th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: VM1, BBC1, S4C

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just saying it's an option if you need some versatility in one or other of the 22 or 23 jerseys (particularly if he favours a centre in the 23). I don't think it'll happen but I didn't think Carbery would be dropped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't really know why you'd do that just to get Aki into the 23.

He obviously values a centre in the 23 shirt, and Aki is a quality option - of the backs being mentioned, I think he's the best tbh (different positions etc). And Crowley wouldn't be in the squad if they didn't think he had something to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

I get why Aki is in the 23 shirt if that team is correct ( I personally picked him in the 23 shirt in my 23 man squad for this game). I honestly would start him against France next week but I think for that to happen he need game time this weekend, ideally he'd get +20 minutes here that would give him enough minutes in the legs for the France game. If McCloskey goes very well you can start him but if not you can always go back to Aki next week.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

James Lowe has one pro start at 15, and would have covered there a few times for the chiefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Whenever Farrell has selected a centre in the 23 jersey perviously, Henshaw has been in the matchday 23 covering 13. Henshaw is injured now so we'd be relying on Aki covering 13. I'm not sure if he still has the pace to defend at 13. He got badly done on the outside by Josh Ioane on the NZ tour last summer.

It will most likely be JOB in the 23 shirt IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is it that he values a centre for the 23 jersey or that the next best back available happened to be a centre and he wasn’t averse to picking them ahead of a more versatile option?

JOB had the 23 jersey for SA and although he came on in the centre, he most certainly couldn’t be classed as a centre based on professional rugby.

without putting the mockers on it, but keenan just doesnt ever really go down.

Over the last 2 seasons hes played every minute of the 33 games he started, apart from 7 minutes at the end of the game last year against scotland.

hes incredibly durable

Certainly more the latter than the former, to be fair. And I think that applies this time too with Aki.

We'll find out shortly I guess.

I think it made sense when you had the versatility of guys like Joey Carbery, Robbie Henshaw or Keith Earls elsewhere in your 23. It doesn't make sense to me with this purported 23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Given Welsh midfield pairing, Farrell may see centres as one of the areas we have an obvious advantage over Wales and use that as his main strike point. Therefore, his main goal will be keeping his best centres rather than back 3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What about Osbourne at 23? Gives us the extra centre option and some versatility.

Had a quick look at the stats, and previously when Farrell's selected RB as sub 10, he's named a centre 5 times and a wing/fb/more-versatile-option 5 times also, so he's not opposed to the idea.

The most recent game we have to go on is vs Aus, and he selected 12. McCloskey, 13. Ringrose, 22. RB, 23. Aki. (None of Joey, Henshaw or Earls featured).

He looks the obvious long term prospect for that shirt (one which I do think is still up for grabs) given his athleticism, size, kicking ability and versatility.

He's played well for Leinster this season at 11,12 & 13, and has played a decent amount of rugby at 15 too.

They might think it a punt to throw him in for his potential debut here though, but if he gets the call I'd be delighted to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Halfpenney out, Williams in for Wales. Makes them stronger imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭theVersatile

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 25 caps

14. Mack Hansen (Connacht) 8 caps

13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 47 caps

12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 9 caps

11. James Lowe (Leinster) 15 caps

10. Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 109 caps (c)

9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 23 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps

2. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps

3. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 27 caps

4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 36 caps

5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps

6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 89 caps

7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 45 caps

8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 23 caps

Replacements:

16. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 31 caps

17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 121 caps

18. Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 4 caps

19. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 68 caps

20. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 33 caps

21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 100 caps

22. Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 4 caps

23. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 41 caps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Big test/opportunity for Bealham on Saturday. This is the kind of thing you want to see in a World Cup year in some ways though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

yeah id agree, makes them stronger, though hes coming in pretty cold, hes only played 80 mins once this season and only out of 4 games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ooof. Just assumed Furlong was being minded for the 6N. Huge gap in the 23, though Bealham has been playing well for sure.

Murray over Casey and Byrne over Crowley as well are notable.

Imo Aki on the bench is just a bad call but hopefully it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ouch! No Furlong. Can't see why Aki is on the bench. I'd have Hanson on the bench with Larmour starting.

The spread should probably tighten from -6 you'd imagine post that announcement.

I'm not overly confident in O'Toole off the bench here, and (we've discussed it to death above), but I feel any injury to 11, 13, 14 or 15 is going to leave us looking extremely disjointed.

With all due respect, 1 player being absent isn't enough on its own to cause the odds to shift unless that player is Sexton.

no worries about Finlay performing, hes been great these last 18 months.

looks like 3 positional changes should keenan have to go off.

That team should win, but hasn't provided me with any greater confidence that i had on Tuesday

And with Furlong out how on gods earth are we going to deal with Gareth Thomas...

No, Furlong is 100% in that category. In arguably the second most important position on the field, he is the best or close enough that it doesn't matter.

I have faith in Finlay Bealham, but it's a big test for him on Saturday. I don't have a lot of faith (and I desperately hope I'm wrong) in the third best third head prop in a province with a notoriously poor tight five.

Think that's easily a strong enough team to get the job done, even with Furlong missing. He's obviously a step down from Furlong, but I reallty rate Bealham, happy for him to get an opportunity to start a big game.

Beirne selected ahead of Henderson as well. It's not too often we've had all 3 of Ryan, Henderson and Beirne fit and available, and Henderson seemed to have been favoured in the past, but I think Beirne's form means he has to be in the team so think that's entirely justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

There really isn't much between the two teams on paper. Tadhg Beirne and Andrew Porter are the only players who are clearly better than their opposite number. Maybe Sheehan as well actually. But that's a strong Welsh team, let's not kid ourselves.

If we're 10% off it, and they get a Gatland bounce, at home in Cardiff, this could go pear shaped very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Murray and Aki on the bench is pretty disappointing. Hoping POM can regain the form from last season. Be interested to see how Henderson goes.

Advertisement