Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Wales v Ireland, Sat 4th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: VM1, BBC1, S4C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm delighted for Conan. He has definitely shown more form than Coombes this year. Sure they nominate any old eejit for Heineken cup player of the year these days.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

So Dan Sheehan isn't clearly better than Ken Owens, Tadhg Beirne isn't clearly better than a 37-year old AWJ, Josh van der Flier isn't clearly better than 33 year old Justin Tipuric, Johnny Sexton isn't clearly better than Dan Biggar and Garry Ringrose isn't clearly better than George North (at centre), Hugo Keenan isn't clearly better than Liam Williams (who hasn't played this season essentially)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Are Ireland the only international team on the planet who picks a sub SH to significantly slow the game down in the final quarter rather than speed it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Shehal

He's our 2nd most important player but we aren't crippled with him out like we are with Sexton as we saw against SA in the autumn. Well he's clearly 2nd best as he's been on the bench when fit every time last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Shehal

I find it funny how you claim to be an Irish fan as for one you very rarely have much positive to say about Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

€10 on the Welsh to win looks all the more appealing right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

One worry I'd have is if we're chasing the game in the last 20 minutes or so. Murray and Ross Byrne don't seem like a complementary pair to inject pace into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Well Coombes starts for Munster, Conan is behind Doris, who's far better than Coombes..., maybe Farrell rates Conan higher?

Osborne was nominated for the same award. He's not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Furlong being out could be a blessing in disguise. Bealham has never started a 6N game (or against any tier 1 side I'd say) so let's see what he's made of from the start. I think he'll be fine. Less sure about TOT if he had to come on early but either way we'll learn something on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Not "clearly" no. Marginally maybe. Let's not forget that these lads have won a 6N more recently than our lads have, and made a World Cup semi final. Yes, we had a good year last year and they had a sh*t year. But we learned in 2019 how much that counts for.

Form has a major influence when assessing how good a player is. But form can change very quickly. If someone asked you in 2021 who was a better 13, North or Ringrose, the answer would have been North. Roll on 2022 and it would have been Ringrose. It can swing back just as quickly. Likewise, Biggar was a better 10 than Sexton in 2021. 2022, Sexton was better. But it can change. VDF v Tipuric, Doris v Faletau, Keenan v L.Williams, T.Williams v JGP, Ryan v Beard, Lowe v Adams. There's not much between these guys. We like to think our players are way better, but it's not the case. If this Welsh team clicks, and we're off our game, they will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not feeling too confident. Furlong should have been left back at Leinster, if this injury was not healing. Furlong has played twice for Leinster this season and a few minutes for Ireland?

Aki doesn't inspire either. Wales are not great but, here we are with Sexton starting coming in from the cold. The exiled Bundee on the bench and Bealham starting.

Casey would have been my choice for the bench. We lose this one and the wheels come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Conan has been excellent lately as has Coombes. So surely you should be annoyed at POM who's been pretty average this season and was our worst player in the last game against Australia?

Herring selected ahead of Kelleher another noteworthy call. A little surprised by that, Herring is a very solid option, hasn't let us down in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If we're chasing the game, Murray and especially Byrne won't come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah Tom Stewart got called up as a replacement, although they didn't necessarily rule Kelleher out. Hopefully something minor

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

more than 3 points, id agree.... less than then id want Ross on the pitch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Dissapointed with Aki on the bench.

Can only play in one position.

Unless mccloskey is the one that is injured there has to be a reshuffle of the back line to bring him in.

Would have preferred to see Larmour, JOB, Earls or Osbourne.

But I do acknowledge that Farrell seems to prefer a centre in the 23 Jersey. I would just prefer one of the others who can play centre and wings/fb.

Edit. Also the fact that mccloskey does not regularly play anywhere bar 12 it seems strange that we have 2 players that are primarily 12's in the match day.

Post edited by Must love hardship on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If it's a tight game and R.Byrne doesn't get at least 20 minutes, you'll have people criticising Farrell for "not preparing for the World Cup". If Ross Byrne get's 20 minutes and we lose, Farrell will get criticised for taking Sexton off.

North played exclusively on the wing in the 2019 6 Nations. He's never looked like an international quality centre.

And "these lads" didn't win a 6 Nations really in 2019 either. The team that played us in 2019 had an entirely different centre pairing, entirely different half backs, and 3 other changes in the pack. Bench was largely unrecognisable too.

"These lads" looked good winning the 2013 6 Nations, maybe that's the one you're thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Not only that, they've actually been playing this season, and crushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

Aki was named in the 23 jersey for two of the 3 games in NZ during the summer and again v Australia in the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There hasn't been a day in George North's life where he's been a better center than Ringrose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No real surprises, but I didn't really expect there to be. Furlong missing is a blow, but we've enough good players to compensate. Farrell is keeping faith in the players that won the series in New Zealand and swept the November tests.

If some don't perform well this Saturday they'll be rotated out. No real issues tbh.

Yeah, when Henshaw was on the field and Carbery was on the bench, giving you options in the event of an injury.

This time, we've a set of backs with 2 players who are exclusively 9s, two who are exclusively 10s (I know RB has played some URC at 12 and 13 but he's patently not an international level player there), and 2 players who I think it's fair to say are exclusively 13s.

An injury to any of Ringrose, Hansen, Lowe or Keenan is going to cause serious disruption. I know if Lowe or Hansen get hurt Ringrose moves to the wing, but that's not ideal, and probably leaves you Bundee covering 13?

I almost would agree that if he was adamant to have Bundee in the 23 shirt then Crowley would have been the more sensible pick in the 22 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

POM isn't having a 'pretty average' season, that's nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And maybe just Maybe both wingers, the player of the year at 7, ringrose who is playing to level which means a debate about irelands beat ever 13 is now reasonable and sexton are clearly better than their opposite number.

A better way to look at this is how many, if any of that welsh team would be in the Irish starting 15? None.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oh I completely agree, POM has been rubbish for Ireland. It's a disgrace that he couldn't single handedly overcome the power differential and compensate for a panicked scrum half who hadn't a clue what do do with himself without Sexton playing beside him so he kept just kicking the ball mindlessly away and darting into blind alleys

Which Leinster player do you think should be brought on instead of POM?

Advertisement