Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And fair balls to Taylor taking this fight. Big homecoming, all eyes on her, and in against a very tough opponent, who has the potential to beat her..to lose would be a sickener, but to lose on your home soil for this type of event and occasion….

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Hearn is some spa , **** off thinking the Irish government would give you more profit. Dope. In my opinion she woulda sold out croker , people love an event and everyone's loves her.

Serrano would have to be a good bit better than her to get the W. But I agree she coulda fought a jobber , especially if it was just gonna be the 3arena

Their fight last year was extremely closely fought. Serrano will be very dangerous. To win it might be just a punch. Nothing to do with “being much better.” Unless you’re suggesting it could be rigged? There will be neutral judges.

I thought you were into boxing? The away fighter especially a challenger always has to do a bit more to win on points.

• Advertisement

Croke park chief came out and said Hearn full of shite , croker 400k , Wembley 300k. Hearn didn't want to pay security costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

You're spot on here, people underestimate how much Irish people are event junkies.

I've said it in the past that Katie would sell out Croke Park easier than The Point. Now I no longer believe that to be true, I think there's enough genuine support for her to sell out the 9,300 seater Point these days without the major bandwagon, particularly if a few other popular Irish fighters are on the card.

However we are complete event junkies.

The Garth Brooks concerts (both times around prooves that). Yes he's a popular artist, but the majority of people who went to those concerts probably didn't even listen to one of his songs in the 12 months leading into those concerts, other than just before it. But get the bandwagon going and he's the "it" event for 2022.

Katie could easily have been the "it" event for 2023 and I don't think Hearn fully realised that Irish bandwagon mentality.

He's afraid it wouldn't sell well, so he wasn't willing to take the gamble on it, and I bet he won't take the gamble later in the year either !

I'll ask again. Do you think the fight will be rigged?

And no, the away boxer doesn't have to do an awful lot more to win. You said she'd have to do "a good bit better."

Many many many examples of away boxers getting decisions in very close fights against the hometown boxer, as well as many examples of away fighters getting decisions where most felt the hometown boxer won.

So, no idea what your comment of "I thought you were into boxing" has to do with this. Boxing is a subjective based judging sport. It can throw up all types of views/results/opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

In defence of Hearn (I feel dirty just saying that), I think that fee for Wembley may include their porous security.

Were as the Croke Park one doesn't and the costs for that are meant to be substantial. It's also the weekend for the European Champions/Challenge Cup finals (which is why they can't use Landsdowne), but that means a lot of gardai will already be required for that. So we're talking about a huge amount of overtime for Gardai and additional security compared to a normal weekend and perhaps it would cost an additional €500,000 to host.

So perhaps neither party has been lying.

The challenger and away boxer has to do more to win a fight on points. The usual contrarian bolix from yourself.

• Advertisement

You engaged me, lad, talking absolute pony.

You said Serrano will have to do a good bit better to win. I challenged that, and now you have your knickers in a twist.

Nothing to do with being contrarian. You simply spouted gick, and I corrected this. Like on other threads with you!

It's simple: plenty plenty examples where away boxers get the nod in close fought fights against the hometown fighter. It’s your issue that you cannot grasp this, not mine. Maybe it's the whole "you have to really beat the champion to take his/her belt" that has you all confused. This saying is nothing but a saying, and has no actual verifiable substance or merit.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Looks like this is going to become another saga like the Garth Brooks concerts.

Already RTE has Cahill going on about it this morning and Duffy pumping it up on Liveline I believe.

Lookit…. Taylor’s ambition was always going to be the ‘big finale’ in Croker , the mother lode.

Pat would pack the place as demonstrated by Garth Brooks x5 and RTE would pump it up into

frenzy as their ‘stars ‘. become all emotional as they try to blag their way in for free.

I reckon they have missed the boat by at least a year when they might have gotten two shows out of Katie if the first bout got the ‘right result’ if you get me dhrift!!

Pat doesn’t, by and large, give a fiddlers fuhherke about female boxing, but just saying”I was there” that a different kettle of fish altogether!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As popular as she is, she wouldnt come close to sell out Crocker unless the price point were a lot lower than most big boxing matches.

The point made earlier on the cost of security is well made. Could easily be close to a million for venue and security.

Wouldn't be enough money in it for Hearn or for that matter Katie despite the narrative

Now RTE on Drive time are referring to the ‘campaign’ for the ‘homecoming’ at Croke Park.

What ‘campaign’ is this and who is behind it? Personally I have never heard of any campaign.

Lookit…. This is a professional commercial event , I have nothing against it and hope if it came off it would be successful.

However getting the State and it’s environs involved for me would be a huge mistake given the situation which prevails in our country.

RTE have form in this, don’t be led by the nose by their slant on events.

We’re a funny little country at times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

If what Hearn is saying is true it would mean that the extra costs of having a fight in Croke park will make it less profitable than having it in a venue that is 10% the size? I don't think that is true nor does anyone with half a brain.

Hearn is trying to get the GAA to rent the stadium for next to nothing so there's more money in it for him Or maybe he feels it won't sell out and wants to spare her the embarrassment of not having a sell out event so concocts an excuse to not have it in Croke Park.

If they really wanted a stadium fight for Katie Taylor in Ireland then wait and have it on weekend the AVIVA is available if Croke Park is supposedly so incredibly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s not the case

Croke Park actually signed a short-form contract and all initially for that amount, then went silent for a few weeks. Then came back and upped their price drastically to which Hearn said to F off (correctly so)

Croke Park wouldn’t come near selling out by the way. Too many mammies and armchair fans etc that love Katie Taylor but wouldn’t go to Croke Park for a fight of hers, which is understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Croke Park didn’t up their price at all. Hearn thought it included stuff that wasn’t included (cops etc) but that’s down to him not understanding what he agreed to

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hearn understood perfectly. Absolutely perfectly.

He very quickly saw that the Heineken Cup final would clash with the date he had given the TV companies, so now he gets a warmup in The Point Depot in May and a full boxing card in Croke Park on the first or second Saturday in September.

And he's also got everyone talking about both. For free.

Hearn doesn't say his prayers without a wider motive and thats why he's the boss of Matchroom and worth north of 50 million quid personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They did

Short-form contract was signed for the originally agreed price and they went silent for a while then

Then came back with higher price.. basically a ‘go away’ price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They came back with a quote from the Guards, to police the first professional card in Ireland since the Regency gun attack, where boxing in Ireland attracts a following of scum and villainy.

And not just any card, a gate of 80,000 in the heart of the Dublin gangland district.

If that adds up to a prohibitive cost for Hearn, it sounds like the Point is really his best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hearn comes across as a bit of a naive bollox?

He inherited most of that from the aul lad.

A nepo baby as the current idiom has it.

Very true.

Lots of casual “arm chair fans” in this country

who wish her well (although not so keen on the personality and her eccentricities)

but wouldn’t be seen dead anywhere near a boxing match

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't believe anything out of Hearns mouth but the price is ridiculous.

That stadium was built using taxpayers money. It shouldn't be that expensive for a national sporting hero.

Figure of 500k for security I saw.. pittance to these lads!!!! Get it sorted. If Katie would really like to do this for fans, maybe she could chip in as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

How do you know the price is ridiculous, have you tried to rent Cork park yourself to host a large event?

It was partly built using tax payers money as was every single large sporting facility in this country.

Why is the price ridiculous, if Hearn wants to use the stadium for a "national sporting hero" he's just pay the money and have the fight there.

The fact that you've started using ridiculous emotive language over this situation show you than Hearns strategy for promoting the fight is working as he has enough gullible dopes in this country that believe him and create a **** storm of outrage and this promote the fight for him.

Exactly….just like it is, aided and abetted by RTE who have ‘form’ in stirring stuff like this up.

Past events have proven that the propensity for “gullible dopes” to be dragged into this ‘national hero’ bull crap is legendary.

This is all aimed at making the GAA seem like the bad boys, spoiling things for the ‘great party’.

However the GAA are pragmatic and sensible and as has been proven before won’t be ‘bounced’ into anything based on the ‘gullible dope’ syndrome.

Lets hope it stays that way.

This was always the ‘plan’ for Katie to go out with the ‘big bang’ and she was indeed great, but I think they waited too long possibly due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

GAA says Croke Park is 400k. If he sold 50k tickets it's working out at 8 euro/ ticket. I think he is afraid it will not sell out or even get a decent crowd.

To get that sort of crowd you would need a lot of punters from outside Dublin. If the tickets were even only 80/head it's hard to see the numbers. Accomodation is the real killer you are probably looking at 150+/ person to stay above there.

Herne is BSing the numbers just do not add up

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

If anyone believes that Eddie Hearne would move to a venue with 70k less seats for the sake of €500000 they need their head checked.

Tickets will prob be 80-100 euro so between 5.5 and 7 million extra revenue if held in Croke pk.

They must be worried it wont sell out.

Advertisement