Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Was that hindustan news by any chance that is Kremlins mouthpiece and repeats the same propaganda and lies as the russian ministry of defense and TASS does.

Maybe India should worry about the regime next door to them instead of supporting the regime next to Europe.

Remember it might come to the day that China comes in full force,and i gurantee you Russia wont help you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's a new one. It actually made me laugh.

"To get a better understanding of this conflict, we must first visit the religious landscape of the 11th century...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Tbh I think the discussion of Abrams is kinda moot. It was a political step to unlock the Leopards. The Germans not wanting to be seen as aggresive warmongers in any way shape or form. Which is understandable. So the Americans pledge some Abrams and then supply them in the slowest possible manner since the details of how they're provided is of little political importance compared with the declaration that they'll be delivered. I'd honestly be surprised if we see a single Abrams rolling around Ukraine this year.

The GLSDBs "not coming from stocks" is a bit misleading though I think. Since the Americans have thousands of the M26 rockets lying around then a special adapter is added to snap the small diameter bomb to it. So it shouldn't take that long. They've been announced as being in the next package so clearly there are some already made. They were only proposed to the Pentagon by Saab/Boeing last November so it seems they can be produced relatively quickly. This is just me speculating though.

With regards to the Americans hard coding a range limit to their Himars. Yeah thatss worrying. Supplying Ukraine with 150km missiles then neutering their ability to use them like they were supposed to seems like the height of stupidity to me but who knows. However I can think of a few things that could counter that.

1. The rocket component itself with the GLSDB does not actually fly the full distance. It carries the warhead high and far enough at which point the bomb detaches and glides the rest of the way. A possibility for it to bypass this hard limit on the other GMLRS rockets.
    2. The Ukranians also have several MLRS systems from the germans brits and Italians I believe. M270's and MARS. It's possible these units don't have this limit applied to them I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So you’ve a problem with Russians being called orcs rather than a problem with Russians invading, raping, murdering, kidnapping, maiming children, women and men. Right. I suppose they shouldn’t fight back either because no one should be expected to stand up to the Russian regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The first part - okay

But this part "Otherwise pressure both sides for negotiations and some kind of settlement."

This isn't a war over "differences", one side is trying to conquer, annihilate and subjugate the other. The attacker cannot be trusted with any treaty or any peace, ever. It's entirely up to the defender, and they have signalled any wish to "settle" by rewarding the attacker with their land and people yet.

So option 1 it is then. The only question there is whether to go all-in, or do as they are doing now which is support in stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The words "absolute fucking gibberish" are thrown around a lot these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The meal choices they will be offered, how they react, and what they decide to do when presented with them, would be worthy of a TV program. I might even be prepared to pay to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Right I'll avoid the ableist perjorative, but say that this interpretation of me is based on imagination, a kinda slotting people into preconceived boxes, and not based on anything I actually said or expressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

"conquer, annihilate, subjugate" - which is it? Some posts say theyre fighting for their lives because Putin will exterminate every Ukrainian, others say its a landgrab for all of Europe & Poland is next. Some say its about restoring the USSR - which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some say it's all a plot by the CIA to discredit putin,

And putin is fighting Nazis in Ukraine only after a year he hasn't been able to find a single Ukrainian Nazi

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It could be all three.

They will exterminate any Ukrainian they cannot subjugate.

A subjugated Ukraine is then their colony, to plunder, and strengthen themselves from its resources.

Ukraine is the stepping stone.

Didn't someone in the 1940s engage in extermination, landgrabs and restoring the 'greatness' of their country and empire...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Would you have a link for this 10:1 outshelling? The Ukrainians are using 90,000 a month, so, yeah, a link?

France and Australia announced on Monday (Feb 1) that they would collaborate on a multi-million dollar project to produce artillery shells for Ukraine, CNN reported.

“Several thousand 155-millimeter shells are going to be manufactured in common, with an unprecedented partnership between Australia and France,” said Sébastien Lecornu, Defense Minister of France, at a press conference in Paris.

According to Lecornu, the French arms company Nexter will partner with Australian companies, which will provide the powder for the shells.

“This forms part of the ongoing level of support that both France and Australia are providing Ukraine to make sure that Ukraine is able to stay in this conflict and be able to see it concluded on its own terms,” Australian Defense Minister Richard Marles added.

CNN points out that neither minister would specify quantities beyond “several thousand” artillery shells, but they indicated this would be a long-term collaboration.

Add to this the fact Ukraine have set up their own factory for mortars and soviet calibre shells and the US is increasing their manufacturing by six fold, eventually making 90,000 a month, but only after a year or so, and the 300,000 shells the US is taking from stockpiles in Israel and South Korea, hopefully they will have enough in the short term. I'll bet that with their greater range and accuracy and sophisticated drone targeting and fire correction, every Ukraine fired shell is probably worth multiple from the Orcs in terms of effectiveness.

Apparently France has also set up an ongoing supply program for Ukraine to the tune of $200 million.

I don't need understanding, I need ammunition.

No need for semantics and the "victim" of other people's opinions spiel.

Russian occupied areas of Ukraine have been annexed with false "referendums" and there has been systematic liquidation as well as random killings, systematic and organised torture, high numbers of reported rapes (that was just in a month and a half Bucha, Borodyanka and e.g. longer period in Kheron).

So yes, they are there to conquer, annihilate and subjugate.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Anyone going for option 3, stepping stone to rest of Europe, must be tooting crack.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

Have to pull you on this, but you're under counting here. You are only giving numbers for things that we have visual proof that were destroyed.

It wouldn't surprise me if the real figure of losses was twice that. This is orc build quality we're talking about. A lot of their new stuff just doesn't work (T14 tanks anyone?) and the older stuff is probably breaking down at an accelerated rate due to bad handling, old-age, and lack of maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

My latest conspiracy theory tells me that this whole thing is a plot to destroy Russia. Call me crazy, but I have excellent arguments...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

The pro orc camp would have you believe that there is some huge artillery advantage that the Ukrainians have no hope against, but that simply isn't true.

Plenty of evidence out there of Ukrainian laser guided shells landing with pinpoint accuracy and smoking the unhappy orcs and their tanks. Most of the orc shelling seems to just end up blowing holes in random fields.

You also must remember that Ukraine are likely keeping some shells back for the forthcoming offensives.

Remember Nato surrounded Russia and were at Russia's border ready to invade via ukraine,

Russia still hasn't found any nato forces in Ukraine 12 months later

orcs by their own admission lost 50% of their elite troops by September.

Figure is probably 80-90% by now and they are all replaced by conscripts.

Do people really think that a bunch raw untrained mobiks are going to even be able to take Bakhmut, let alone the rest of Donbass?

Still havent found any nazis either,allthough they try their best to make it look like they have in their misinformation and propaganda

Rule number one: don’t use the same image for two different purposes.

Rule number 2 shadowing matters. Don’t make the time of day impossible.

And Rule number 3,Don’t use traceable images with timestamps. It looks really silly.

I misspoke. I meant to say this is Putin's plot to destroy Russia. A Russian woman, being interviewed recently, was asked how she thought the war was going. She said if it is meant to destroy Russia, it is going well.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

The west needs to send tons more artillery and destroy as much of them as possible before the next phase begins. They are doing that now but they are always lagging behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,287 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just saw that, A grim comment.

what’s the true intention..?

attack the EU ? US ? Both ? The likelihood if it’s a true threat, it is something nuclear… as the Russians ain’t invading the EU…

personally with a threat of that manner, why not hit the Russians with something nasty first ?

really can’t see a deescalation from where we are at… now. Putin is hell bent on WW3. He’s nutsville.

The Ukraine might very well be just the beginning to a very grim and depressing time..

In fact Putin has just commented…

“Those who hope to defeat Russia on the battlefield do not understand, it seems, that a modern war with Russia will be very different for them," the 70-year-old leader said. 

"We are not sending our tanks to their borders, but we have the means to respond. It won't be limited to the use of armoured hardware. Everyone must understand this." 

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov declined to elaborate on Mr Putin's comments, but did tell reporters that "as new weapons are delivered by the collective West, Russia will make greater use of its potential to respond". 

the EU should just let events transpire. The Ukraine have done SFA for the EU or it’s citizens aside from looking for handouts, now it’s seemingly on the cusp of dragging us all into WW3 and the nut job Putin is capable.

what did western leaders, think was going to be Putins reaction, by gifting the Ukranians, tanks, arms, training, equipment and money ?

they are acts of war, facilitating and equipping the enemy….! Or will certainly be seen as acts of aggression by Russia, so…..

WWIII ? Getting ever closer…if comments are to be genuine.

Lavrov has made the same remarks about Moldova, they are still on the "to do" list. If Russian politicians or national state TV haven't made a threat to nuke/invade/attack a European country, it's because it isn't breakfast time yet. I wouldn't be breathing too easy if I were Georgia or even Kazakhstan either (Medvedev threatened them, but what's new)

Yes it must be really hard for Russia being surrounded by NATO countries that Russia have corrupted, threatened or invaded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭eire4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement