Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

If you add Beirne, Shine, Bill Hughes and Killian Corcoran and Niall Shortall (I think?) to the lads still underage from last year and we should have a very strong team again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Scandalous when you consider pre covid it €15 cash on the day and €12 if you pre bought in Super Valu, hurling league hasn't also mattered as little to the top teams in 10-15 years, all about been right for provincial round robins in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Might be handy for some

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

Clara hit with tragedy yet again. Desperate news.

• Advertisement

Did you forget to switch on your sarcasm detector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Condolences to the Nolan Family, neighbours and friends on the sad passing of James Nolan of Dunbell Clara. James was an outstanding and committed hurler and footballer for the club, who represented Kilkenny at various different levels in both codes. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Terrible tradegy and a lovely lad. Rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

My god that family have meet there fair share my condolence to all the family may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Seen St Keirans and Offaly Schools are in the leinster final, won today by 11 and 10 points respectively, does anyone know if all Offaly schools are eligible for the team? When they ran the Wexford schools down here players from every school except St Peters and Good Counsel were eligible, Alan and Shane Murphy were actually on the team 1 year as they attended Kennedy College in New Ross. Condolences to all in Clara too just an unbelievably sad tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Yes all Offaly schools but surprisingly St. Brendan's Birr, who are in the Leinster B final after a couple of comprehensive victories in the competition only have two starters on the team.

Kierans had Laois and Carlow players starting for them today.

There's a dark cloud hanging over kilkenny the last few days. God help james lovely parents. The absolutely huge crowd that gathered this evening to pay their respects sums up what a lovely chap he was. He will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Will be interesting to see what kind of team Derek and his selectors go with up in Antrim on Saturday at 2pm. I expect there to still be a good degree of experimentation in the teams named but with a good core of championship starters they can slot in around. Eoin Cody had a great performance last night scoring 1-12 of Carlows 1-19. Will he lead Kilkenny out for his first game as captain he might want too but with more Fitzgibbon to come might be better to let him rest this weekend. I know there was a cut to the panel last weekend only heard of one player cut but there must have been at least 10 to make way for the Ballyhale players returning.

I'm going to list a Championship starting 15 that I'd pick on reputation rather than form as we've seen very little so far. This is a wish list not everyone might make it or be up to it by the time Championship comes around.

Eoin Murphy

M Butler, H Lawlor, T Walsh

P Walsh, R Reid, D Blanchfield

P Deegan, R Corcoran

A Mullen, TJ Reid, E Cody

B Drennan, W Walsh, M Keoghan

I'd hope Conor Delaney could get injury free and put in a serious challenge for one of the back 6 slots. You could possibly swap Walsh and Reid, in the modern game all 3 half backs need to be comfortable playing all across this line anyway.

Ronan Corcoran is unproven (that's if he even goes in to the setup) but if he does I think he's the most natural midfielder in the county and I think he will adapt to the level and hopefully thrive. I'd be a bit worried about Deegans distribution but Adrian would be drifting out to midfield and Deegan can try find him and Ronan to let the ball in most of the time, or just improve his own distribution which hopefully the new management will talk to him about the long blind sky high ball he got away with previously. Deegan does bring plenty of energy and physicality which would be no harm in the middle 3rd.

Half forward line is easy.

Full forward line could have lots of lads in it. I think Mossy and Wally could provide a very tough 2 inside with young Drennan using his skill and vision to feed off them.

Plenty of players to call on and any one or many of them could be flying by the time Championship rolls around.

From what I can think of off the top of my head we still have any of the following players to call on

Keepers:

Darren Brennan, Aidan Tallis, Dean Mason

Backs:

Conor Delaney, Cillian Buckley, Darragh Corcoran, Darren Mullen, Evan Shefflin, Evan Cody, Des Dunne, Shane Murphy, Padraig Moylan, Sean Purcell, Niall Rowe

Midfield:

Conor Fogarty, Paddy Mullen, Cian Kenny

Forwards:

John Donnelly, Richie Hogan, Billy Ryan, Alan Murphy, Joey Cuddihy, Tom Phelan, Niall Brassil, Niall Brennan, Paul Cody, Shane Walsh, Timmy Clifford, Ian Byrne, Gearoid Dunne

Lots of the younger lads probably won't make it and will go back to the U20 panel and a lot of those who have been tried before will be given a shorter leash. Lads who have been on the panel 3,4,5 years and haven't been able to start will be given a chance no doubt but will probably be cut loose quicker than some of the younger lads who Derek and his team have great faith in. It's one thing doing it in a Walsh Cup match its another entirely different once the drums start beating, thats when it really matters. An interesting year ahead with loads of potential and reasons for optimism at the is stage.

Paddy Mullen will be very close to starting, much better than Deegan, and in better form than Ronan Corcoran this year. Awful Pity Ronan Corcoran did not go into county set up years ago. He would be a mainstay on the team now.

Alan Murphy has been on the panel years now and has produced very little only the odd cameo role on frees when TJ was missing.

Billy Drennan will get game time this year, great to have a natural forward coming through, he reminds me of Gillane. Good in the air, elusive and great striker.

I think they're going up Saturday evening which makes sense. I don't know if the shamrocks lads will be available my guess is padraig could be captain. This is obviously a tricky one to start with especially away so he would take the hands off you for any sort of a win.Hopefully a few newer lads will get game time but with fitzgibbon it's difficult.

Do you think Billy Drennan will play championship.? I'd be thinking he will be in around the squad picking up the experience of Walsh Cup, League etc and then go back to the U21s. I'd hate to see our u21 team short of anyone. It's an important group to develop. The likes of Billy can come back to the seniors if needed later.

Hopefully not until after the u20 competition is over. The u20 was a farce last year. If he keeps progressing he wont be far away. League will tell us exactly what we need to know

I'd like to see that myself and the U20 AI is done by May I think if we got that far. U20 in Leinster also has a 3 game round robin this year which is great but not easy with Galway, Wexford and Dublin to play. I think Billy Drennan probably has the skill to make the team or subs bench this year but he'd also probably the lightest of the U20's that have been brought through. He has done well against Offaly and Laois but we know there's a massive step up physically and speed wise in the league and more again for the Championship. I think he has the speed and skill to succeed I'd be slightly concerned this year might be a year early for him strength wise, we'll probably see over the next few weeks if he's over the knock he picked up playing for Maynooth a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭blackcard

Fair play for putting forward a team. I might have Aidan Tallis in goal. Between puckouts after scores and wides, balls dropping short and balls passed back, a goalkeeper could have 50 possessions in a game. How a goalkeeper uses possession is as important as his shotstopping.

I think Conor Heary might be pushing for a half back position and I think Cian Kenny will nail down a midfield berth.

We have been lacking a forward with speed for a while. On a fine summers day, Bill Sheehan or Shane Walsh would be in contention whilst Billy Ryan could be a useful sub

• Advertisement

Friday evening I meant. From what I heard we won't see the ballyhale lads for a few weeks. The fitzgibbon players will need to be managed properly but he'll probably try get the balance right. I'd expect a mixture between experienced lads saturday like lawlor,Buckley,wally,padraig and lads on the panel a few years tom phelan,alan murphy,billy ryan,blanchfield. Cian kenny got some great scores as a roving center foward hopefully he can bring his game on another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Don’t know if anybody knows the exact figures but I’ve been told there’s 11 ballyhale shamrock lads on the panel, which if true, in my opinion is brilliant. It’s been obvious for years now paddy mullen and Ronan corcoran are the best midfielders in the county. Yes of course alot of them would need coaching etc to adapt to modern county hurling but if anybody is on instagram they would have saw the condition they are in which looks top notch and they clearly have the hurling, they’re probably the greatest club hurling team ever it’s about time we got a few of them involved, hopefully a few of them get league action.

it is exciting times ahead though for us, Wexford have lost a few to injury and travel so I except galway ( who I think will be very good this year) to be our biggest competition in Leinster but it’s hard to know we have to go to Wexford Park, which as we’ve learned is an incredibly tough place to go. The gaelic football league is much better than the hurling league, for obvious reasons but no doubt we’ll be using the league to experiment and hopefully nobody overreacts because as we’ve seen the last few years the league means sweet **** all.

Mikie Butler, Huw Lawor and padrag Walsh inde backs and the ballyhale trio of Adrian TJ and coady inde forwards is as good as anybody has got. If we had better puck outs inde final last year and defended the limerick puck out better who knows and by the sound of the things, Aaron Gillane the pinnacle of modern inter county corner forwards won’t be around. Think either Limericks greatness will shine through or us or galway will win it but we’ll know more after the league, hopefully😂 .

Yeah forgot about Heary and no doubt plenty of others. As Brookville and yourself have said Cian Kenny will likely bag a starting slot. He has plenty of talent and skill and is a cocky little so and so which is exactly what you want in a forward. I would have concerns about him going out of games though. He's not the biggest man and up to now when he tends to ship a big knock he tends to go very quite. It's not easy to take them blows and play at a high level but the best players do or recover in a few minutes he tends to just disappear for the rest of the game. Hopefully he has sorted this and bulked up a bit to be able to roll with those heavy tackles a bit better.

I agree Tallis is a superb keeper and is able to play the modern game well. However I wouldn't throw Murphy on the scrap heap yet. I think there was still awful confusion around our puckouts and I can't believe it was all Murphy's fault. I'm hoping with a clearer idea of how we're going to play and everyone on the same hymn sheet Murphy's puckouts will work a lot better. If he's not up to it, isn't great to know we have another great keeper coming through. Darren Brennan has great puckouts but I'm not so sure on his shot stopping and particularly under a high ball he gives me jitters. He's probably next in line if Murph can't adapt but I'd skip him and go straight for Tallis.

Yeah by all accounts it's extremely unlikely Gillane will be seen in green and white this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭blackcard

What I like about Cian Kenny is his first touch. In the heat of championship you are going to get very little time on the ball and he is very good at controlling the ball first time, he is also good at drawing frees by running at defenders. He has to improve his stamina to keep involved in the game but hopefully this will come

Good to see Tallis In goal I'd have him ahead of brennan. Lyng like rowe I think he needs to bring a bit more aggression to his game but that can be added.other than that it's as expected a solid experienced team with a few newer lads thrown in. Hopefully drennan can go well In this league. Lads will want to put their hand up and with tipp next week In the park and a good crowd expected Hopefully they go well tomor but there will be nothing handy

KK v Ant

A Tallis

M Butler H Lawlor N Rowe

C Buckley P Walsh D Blanchfield

P Deegan J Donnelly

W Walsh C Kenny P Cody

B Drennan M Keoghan B Ryan

Subs

D Brennan

P Moylan

D Dunne

C Heary

D Corcoran

S Murphy

T Phelan

S Walsh

G Dunne

A Murphy

N Brennan

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

Just on Cian Kennys first touch, last year in Nowlan Park in the round robin v Wexford I was beside Kenny warming up and his touch was absolutely lightning into the hand.

Of all the 60 off players on the pitch warming up for both his first touch seemed the best, I don’t think he miscontrolled one single ball in the 25 minute warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Agreed completely on Alan Murphy, can be brilliant in 1 game and won't be seen doing much for a while after that, Himself and Billy Ryan need to be real leaders from now on, both on panel long enough but probably need to bring game to another level.

• Advertisement

Disappointing to see St Kierans bet by Offaly schools in the Leinster final today. 2019 was the last time Kierans won a Leinster

Advertisement